Quantcast

fsa pig headset question

i just got my P1 and and am putting it together and have a pig headset, i noticed the lower ball baring has an open race, i was wondering if i should pack it with greese or not. also wondering what i should torque the star nut at, it has the hydro front brake line running through it, wondering if that makes a differance.

sorry for the newb questions, but...
thanks
morgan

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
it's a loose ball bearing headset?

YES, use grease.

not sure what your asking about the star nut...

your cable runs NEXT to the allen head bolt, right? you should tighten the nut enough to make your headset tight but not so tight that it grinds or doesn't spin smoothly.
then tighten your stem bolts. the stem is really what holds the headset tight. you just need the star nut to cinch up the headset.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I see. I have no idea about torque.

what I do is tighten it a tad, lift my front end (usually my front wheel is on..) and turn the bars back and forth. if it feels tight, I loosen it.....

if the wheels are on, I usually grab the brakes, turn my bars sideways and push/pull to feel for any play.

gearwhine

Chimp
Jul 9, 2005
21 ft lbs is HUGE, maybe 21 in lbs. However, do what pnj says, all headsets are a little different due to bearings and races, so all torques will be slightly different. _nicko_

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I've been told that you really only need to get it snug. It doesn't need to be super tight. Grease on the bearings, I like the sealed pig alot better.

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
The spec for Aheadsets is 20 inch pounds.

Here's how I do it.
1. Loosen the stem bolts.
2. Tighten the headset adjustment bolt that runs to the star nut until loose.
3. Hold fork/wheel off the ground. Spin the handlebars. If they grind to a stop, it is too tight. If the fork jiggles around when you put the front brake on, it is too loose. Find a perfect medium.
4. Center handlebar/stem alignment.
5. Tighten stem bolts.