Quantcast

FSA v-drive vs Race Face North Shore DH cranks

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I am putting a new DH bike together that will see mostly time at Northstar. I have the following two cranksets to choose from. Which are better:

FSA v-drive (I think they might also say extreme on them or something)

or

Race Face North Shore DH

both are at least a year or two old.

This is what I have to pick from right now so I don't want to hear about how great Truvativs are or how I need the newest Saint cranks.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I've got the v-drives, and never had a problem but some people have problems with the pedal threads stripping or bending the crank arm. If you're generally hard on cranks I might reccomend the NorthShores just because I don't remember hearing about problems like this. Then again the V-drives seem to be alot more popular lately so maybe that's why you hear about more problems with v-drives.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
With the FSA's, it's important you use pedal washers with them; a few people I know have ripped out threads but mine -with washers- are still going strong. My V-Drives have been in use since May of '03, 2 different DH frames that they were mounted to have broken, they've been to Whistler, a boatload of races (I'm a 200lb expert), and pretty much free-ridden every weekend since day one. And they are STILL pretty much perfect.

I'd get whichever set was in better shape, or possibly just the Northshores b/c they'll have better resale value. If you were buying a new pair, it would be V-drives no question about it. For double the money, there is still no better crank.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
I think I'll go with the RFs. The V-drives came with a frame I just bought and the threads for the pedals were pretty mangled (along with a bunch of other threads on the frame :mumble: bibs get back to me, I haven't heard from you all week). They appear to be in better shape also. I just wanted some second opinions.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Ive had great luck with the RF NSDH cranks. The set i have nows been on 3 bikes and going strong. Im also a big guy. They stood up to racing, and all the whistler hucks i could manage.... GLC at speed..... MMMMMM......

Cant speak for the FSA as ive never used them.

ssk

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Humidiston
I've had both and the North Shores have been problem free, while I had the pedal thread stripping issues on the V-drives. That said, it looks like FSA has added an insert into the newest V-drives. Hopefully the thread stripping is a thing of the past with this improvement

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I've never had a set of FSA cranks but I do have a set of the old square taper RF NS DH cranks on a hardtail, they were on a dh bike for a while too. They've seen some pretty hard hits and are still straight. Haven't had a problem with them.

BikeFan84

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
D-Ville
I have two set of RaceFace NS DHs, but now they are discontinued, I must make some phone calls and get more. I also own the V-drive extremes, and have had no problems with them, they will now be put onto my new Banshee Scratch. I do prefer the RaceFace NS DHs, but 4 bolt is here to stay and both five bolt patterns are soon on their way :nopity: . " All we need is a 110BCD and we would be good forever" :D

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I've had two sets of the v-drives, and they suck. Both of them bent quite significantly (twisted along their axes as well as about the BB axles), and one set stripped out (yes DBR, with pedal washers installed). Cheap and alright, but you get what you pay for IMO.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
thaflyinfatman said:
I've had two sets of the v-drives, and they suck. Both of them bent quite significantly (twisted along their axes as well as about the BB axles), and one set stripped out (yes DBR, with pedal washers installed). Cheap and alright, but you get what you pay for IMO.
exactly the same story here... mine lasted a total of 3 weeks...

complete cr@p

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
I've had a set of the vdrive xtremes (not having an 'e' at the start makes them extra hardcore) for about 18 months now, running on a jump / street hardtail for the majority of that time and a short travel dually for the last 2 months.

These suckers flat out refuse to die, the worst experience they've had is a mangling of the crank-bolt threads at the hands of an incompetent LBS about 3 months ago. Since that happened (and the LBS gave me a replacement pair) I've been purposely trying to kill the now-munted set doing crank-stalls and grinds and I've still had no luck getting them to bend or break. I'm stoked with them for the money and would happily pay for another pair

For the record I weigh about 170 of your crazy American pounds and am generally pretty smooth.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
FarkinRyan said:
I've had a set of the vdrive xtremes (not having an 'e' at the start makes them extra hardcore) for about 18 months now, running on a jump / street hardtail for the majority of that time and a short travel dually for the last 2 months.

These suckers flat out refuse to die, the worst experience they've had is a mangling of the crank-bolt threads at the hands of an incompetent LBS about 3 months ago. Since that happened (and the LBS gave me a replacement pair) I've been purposely trying to kill the now-munted set doing crank-stalls and grinds and I've still had no luck getting them to bend or break. I'm stoked with them for the money and would happily pay for another pair

For the record I weigh about 170 of your crazy American pounds and am generally pretty smooth.
Something's wrong with you, I didn't even have to try with mine... they just started bending... then kept bending...

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
thaflyinfatman said:
Something's wrong with you, I didn't even have to try with mine... they just started bending... then kept bending...
V-Drive's or V-Drive Extreme's? Two COMPLETELY different cranksets. Shouldn't even have the same name. The normal V-Drive is an XC crankset. The Extreme's are relatively burly, but probably not quite as strong as the NS's or Holzfellers. Am testing out the new FSA Gravity's and I :heart: them.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
dante said:
V-Drive's or V-Drive Extreme's? Two COMPLETELY different cranksets. Shouldn't even have the same name. The normal V-Drive is an XC crankset. The Extreme's are relatively burly, but probably not quite as strong as the NS's or Holzfellers. Am testing out the new FSA Gravity's and I :heart: them.
Both mine were the V-drive Xtremes. Maybe I wrecked them because I'm not xtreme enough.

me89

Monkey
May 25, 2004
asheville
rf cranks man. like they said earlier you get what you pay for. the ns are so much burlier and an all around better crank. they also just look like a more reliable and burly crank but looks can be decieving but not for these things. so my vote goes to the race face cranks. and if you ben those just get the mrp bones kit.