Quantcast

FSR XC 01 or RM Element race 01?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Hey Monkeys,

A good friend of mine is in the market for a first Mountain bike and he's serious about it. He wants to spend from 2000$ to 2500$ CDN. So he came to me to help him out to make the choice.

We narrowed our search to two bikes:

Specialized FSR XC 01 (Pro I think) 2600$

Rocky Mountain Element Race 01, 2300$

What I told him is that the suspension design of the FSR is superior, so it might be a better choice. Also, I own the 2000 model, I love it, and in 2001, Specialized changed all that was wrong with it (Longer top-tube, suspension pivots on bearings, more travel on the rear, etc). I would cut the price a bit by replacing the XTR by XT.

On the other hand, the Element Race is lighter and has much better components (Race-Face everywhere, Z2 Atom, Easton Ultralite tubing, ...), but it has bushing on pivots.

So it's a tough call. I'd like more opinions from my bike-educated monkey friends. Thanks!

What should he buy?

R

RideMonkey

Hmm............. Z2 Atom race is a bomber fork......... both good bikes...... Tough call!!

:monkey:

I OWN AN 01 ELEMENT RACE!!

Awesome bike! I think the only Race Face is the crank - and be careful, mine came with a bent middle chain ring and it took a few weeks to figure that out! The other components are Shimano (combo lx/xt).

Before that I owned a RockHopper - which I loved - but I'm not sure I'd buy another one (can't speak to the FSR).

The only things I've changed on the bike are the pedals and the seat.

Besides, if he's Canadian - he HAS to get the RM!

Other questions??

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by MtnBikerChk

Other questions??
No, not really, Thanks MBC!

Since I posted this, things have changed a little bit and we found out the Giant NRS2 might be a very interesting choice. Myself, I'd pick the Giant before the Spec and RM for a XC-only rig. It's cheaper, it comes with discs, etc. It's very nice...

Thanks!

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
MBC and Aragorn... Why go on the Rocky instead of the NRS2?
Fork:
- Giant: Manitou Black (-)
- RM: Marzocchi Atom (+)

Suspension design:
- Giant: Very good (+)
- RM: Single pivot, so more pedal bob (-)

Brakes:
- Giant: Mechanical Discs (+)
- RM: V-Brakes (-)

Components: (tie)

I agree both are very good bikes...but could you give me more reasons why he should choose the Rocky Mountain before the Giant?

Thanks!

Originally posted by FlipSide
MBC and Aragorn... Why go on the Rocky instead of the NRS2?
Fork:
- Giant: Manitou Black (-)
- RM: Marzocchi Atom (+)

Suspension design:
- Giant: Very good (+)
- RM: Single pivot, so more pedal bob (-)

Brakes:
- Giant: Mechanical Discs (+)
- RM: V-Brakes (-)

Components: (tie)

I agree both are very good bikes...but could you give me more reasons why he should choose the Rocky Mountain before the Giant?

Thanks!
Because I love my RM and I've never ridden a Giant! (it's biased)

I don't understand your concern over the single pivot - can you explain the difference?

...and discs are only an advantage if you need them!

Are the prices comparable?

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001

Because I love my RM and I've never ridden a Giant! (it's biased)

I don't understand your concern over the single pivot - can you explain the difference?

...and discs are only an advantage if you need them!

Are the prices comparable?
Single pivot bikes have a tendency to bob more under pedaling and the Giant suspension is supposed to be very good for that. My GF owns a RM Spice (with a coil over though) and I prefer the feel of my FSR while pedaling.

The prices a re very comparable: 2300CDN for the '01 element race and 2200DCDN for the '02 NRS2.

I know he'd be more than happy with either of the two...i'm just investigating the pros and cons of both.

Thanks!

Single pivot bikes have a tendency to bob more under pedaling and the Giant suspension is supposed to be very good for that. My GF owns a RM Spice (with a coil over though) and I prefer the feel of my FSR while pedaling.

The prices a re very comparable: 2300CDN for the '01 element race and 2200DCDN for the '02 NRS2.

I know he'd be more than happy with either of the two...i'm just investigating the pros and cons of both.

Thanks!

hmm... on my rear - if it bobs too much you play with the air pressure and the damping.

if the price is comparable, where is the difference - ie: discs cost more (on the Giant) so where is the value made up? my guess - the frame!!

IAB has a spice too - let's ask him if it bobs.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

IAB has a spice too - let's ask him if it bobs.
bob. BOB. BOOOOB!

:D

No, I don't feel that my bike bobs when I pedal. It bobs when I ride over rocks and roots. :) But it's my first bike, so I have no basis for comparison. I have the rear shock on a firm setting though (same coil Fox shock).

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Originally posted by RideMonkey
Element isnt single pivot :confused:
The rear wheel is attached on the chainstay...making it a single pivot design. The only purpose of the other pivots is to actuate the shock.

I'm very aware about the fact that the Element is a seriously great bike. A lot of racers use this bike, it's made of Easton Ultralite, it comes with a Z2 Atom, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad bike at all. I'm just saying the susp. design of the Giant is more "recent" and I'm asking opinions about it. The point is not to find out if the Element is a good bike or not. It is an excellent bike!!!

The first time I saw the Element in the bike shop, I was just voiceless, I would have traded my FSR right away for this beauty...

Thanks all for your input...:)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England

I'm not saying it's a bad bike at all. I'm just saying the susp. design of the Giant is more "recent" and I'm asking opinions about it. The point is not to find out if the Element is a good bike or not. It is an excellent bike!!!

(this is MBC)

We know you're not saying that! It's all good.

You are welcome.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.

The rear wheel is attached on the chainstay...making it a single pivot design. The only purpose of the other pivots is to actuate the shock.

I'm very aware about the fact that the Element is a seriously great bike. A lot of racers use this bike, it's made of Easton Ultralite, it comes with a Z2 Atom, etc. I'm not saying it's a bad bike at all. I'm just saying the susp. design of the Giant is more "recent" and I'm asking opinions about it. The point is not to find out if the Element is a good bike or not. It is an excellent bike!!!

The first time I saw the Element in the bike shop, I was just voiceless, I would have traded my FSR right away for this beauty...

\

The owner of the LBS that I go to put Z-1 Free ride on his Rocky Mountain Element, sweet bike to ride, but my bike is a Giant and have testroad a NRS, sweet bike!