Quantcast

Ft. William 2013 World Cup Round 1

curtmuss

Chimp
Jan 29, 2013
Palmer to make a sifty return and smash EVERYONE,for just one race,on a 24" f/r intense bighit evo....

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
who, gwin? I agree.

I'm just messing with you, I think smith is awesome, I just think gwin is going to win everything again this year.
I think it's not as obvious. Gwin is still the safest bet but I think last year Greg and Gee miscalculated why they were behind Gwin. Greg commented on Gwin outpedalling them but in 2012 Gwin was way behind the fastest pedallers on both FW Motorway and in PMB. Now when they will focus on other areas they may be closer to him.

Also is Gwin still with Tomac or is Tomac connected to TWR? I have to say I'm also curious about Neko this year. Not betting on him winning but he might have some really good results this year.

Rider15

Chimp
Dec 13, 2008
I have to say I'm also curious about Neko this year. Not betting on him winning but he might have some really good results this year.
I have heard this thrown around for a few years now and it never seems to come true? Similar to Ben Reid and Fairclough. Always hyped up but never seems to deliever...

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
words

Also is Gwin still with Tomac or is Tomac connected to TWR? I have to say I'm also curious about Neko this year. Not betting on him winning but he might have some really good results this year.

Tomac only works with Gwin on MTB circuit. They are still both on a mission to extend records. Business as usual.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I have heard this thrown around for a few years now and it never seems to come true? Similar to Ben Reid and Fairclough. Always hyped up but never seems to deliever...
Look at his results in 2011 and 2012. He is improving. Again I didn't say he will win but maybe if he has an injury free season he will get a top10. Last year he had 2 top 20s

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
But his moustache has extra shimz in it this year..

Moustache power!

I think Gwin will be a safe bet for at least the first three if he doesn't loose it in the berms on top of the track.
Otherwise the obvious Atherton and Minnaar on top mixed with Hill (still not sure what that dude will be doing this year, but definitely excited) and Hart.

Oh and Smith and the Bulldog if they can hold it together will be up there too.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Really like that Snotland is the opener for the season.

Not really a prediction, but this is what I'm hoping for:

1: Minnaar
2: Smith
3: Hill
4: Gwin
5: Bulldog

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Tomac only works with Gwin on MTB circuit. They are still both on a mission to extend records. Business as usual.
Thanks for the info. Good to know. Wonder what Tomac has that other mtb trainers don't. I'm also curious why Nico hasn't improved his pupils more.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Thanks for the info. Good to know. Wonder what Tomac has that other mtb trainers don't. I'm also curious why Nico hasn't improved his pupils more.
How about a super talented pupil...
Nico might have done the same if he had collaborated with Gwinn.
Sure a good trainer is important, but I think in our sport, on that level, emphasis is more on the pupil then the trainer.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Having great skills doesn't always mean you are a great coach and as stated above, Gwin may have done just as well without Tomac last year..who knows.

Maybe Nico is so meticulous that it is to tough for most people to take in and becomes overwhelming. And again, maybe his pupils don't have the core potential . Or, maybe nobody speaks Alien.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
How about a super talented pupil...
Nico might have done the same if he had collaborated with Gwinn.
Sure a good trainer is important, but I think in our sport, on that level, emphasis is more on the pupil then the trainer.
Blenki isn't talented? He started training with Nico and started doing worse, not better.

Kevin

Turbo Monkey
Not saying Blenki isnt talented. A lot of the fast boys are talented and never really make it.
The fact that he started doing worse since he started being coached by Nico doesnt mean the two are causally connected.
Maybe he was at the peak of his game, and the rest of the field elevated their game and he couldnt? Whos to say really?

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
In Blenkis case you aso have to see his injuries. From wrists, to legs there was abit of everything since he qualified first in Leogang. That was in 2010 I think.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I would associate Tomac's training impact on Gwin being one of relevant and applicable knowledge and experience. Tomac was not just a race, but an elite road racer, won World Cups in XC and DH.

When you take into consideration that he quite LITERALLY knows what type of toll racing takes on the body, he knows every aspect of varying fitness regimens and has LIVED and RACED through the effects of those training cycles, you've got a wealth of substantive input.

When you consider the two most elite athletes in terms of preparation and fitness that have been in DH, it was Tomac and Nico. Nico's handlers were incredible in their own right, but I believe his natural ceiling and skill level were higher than Tomac's. Tomac's training and work load was off the charts.

Heck with Gwin, he goes through Tomac for a phase of his training AND through Rino for the other aspects. Pretty nuts.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Also, I just want to say the other guy who is animal is Steve Peat. Don't let the "Beer Me" persona fool you.

I was lucky enough to talk to him years ago at a race after we both suffered a 3rd degree AC separation. He was so nice that he emailed me a training regimen from his "physio" for his rehab (thought it was pretty special considering the elite trainers he had compared to my rural physsical therapist).

He didn't bother separating it from his entire off season workout stuff. I saw what that guy's training load had to be, and he is a BEAST!!! :D

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Also, I just want to say the other guy who is animal is Steve Peat. Don't let the "Beer Me" persona fool you.

I was lucky enough to talk to him years ago at a race after we both suffered a 3rd degree AC separation. He was so nice that he emailed me a training regimen from his "physio" for his rehab (thought it was pretty special considering the elite trainers he had compared to my rural physsical therapist).

He didn't bother separating it from his entire off season workout stuff. I saw what that guy's training load had to be, and he is a BEAST!!! :D
can you give us a hint on his training program without spilling to many beans? I always wondered how he kept up in a young mans game and I knew it wasn't all beer (he must be good at poker). Much road riding?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'm sure it changes, but all sorts of plyometric stuff that would make a man yack like a champion.

Just the 3 he told me were the simplest I tried for a few months. Even when I became "proficient" at them, it took forever to recover from them. It was a buffet of pain. :D

The one that I hate/loved was the bucket drill. Turn a 5 gallon bucket upside down and jump left and right over it, then front/back. Can't remember the count or time you had to finish it in. Not much help I know.

Seems like it was a 10/10/10 count. :rolleyes:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
I'm sure it changes, but all sorts of plyometric stuff that would make a man yack like a champion.

Just the 3 he told me were the simplest I tried for a few months. Even when I became "proficient" at them, it took forever to recover from them. It was a buffet of pain. :D

The one that I hate/loved was the bucket drill. Turn a 5 gallon bucket upside down and jump left and right over it, then front/back. Can't remember the count or time you had to finish it in. Not much help I know.

Seems like it was a 10/10/10 count. :rolleyes:
That's pretty class that he took the time out to send that email to you. Being the legend that is Steve Peat I imagine he meets alot of people and has not very much free time. The fact that he remembered you and took the time to email you is cool as ****.

Speaking of Steve, its incredible a man his age can be as competitive as he is. No one from his era except Cedric even races WC downhill anymore, both are very impressive.

Can't wait for the season to start! Be interesting to see if the rest of the field can step their game up to compete with Gwin for some wins. Not the biggest fan of Gwins, but I love seeing an American rider up top. There are just so many other racers I like and the season is so short, would love to see some other guys up there!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
don't you guys get it? Gwin is probably going to win, but even more certain then gwin winning are gee and minnaar being bridesmaids.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Yep. If everyone is on his game and noone chrases I expect a predictable outcome.

Brook, Hart and Smith seem to have problems to hold it together and lack a bit of power/fitness in comparison on such demanding long tracks.

Did Hill score better than top 5 in the last two seasons?

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yep. If everyone is on his game and noone chrases I expect a predictable outcome.

Brook, Hart and Smith seem to have problems to hold it together and lack a bit of power/fitness in comparison on such demanding long tracks.

Did Hill score better than top 5 in the last two seasons?
are you high? hart was second last year and won the bds round a few weeks ago on the same course...

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Probably but when I refresh my clouded memory with the race report I see that Minaar came in sixth with a broken chain so I still think that Gwin Gee and Greg will be the safest bets for the podium if they don't crash or have a defect. Hart is a contender maybe even for the win if these three guys have problems but that is mainly because it's his home turf. Until now they just are on another level consistency-wise.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Heck with Gwin, he goes through Tomac for a phase of his training AND through Rino for the other aspects. Pretty nuts.
Eli Tomac does the same. See vids of him training at Ryno whatever facility frequently.

Pretty interesting that ol' JT is behind the top contenders of each of those sports. Must be something to it.

Too cool that Peaty took the time out to provide you with that information. That guy is THE ambassador for the sport. I wonder if the sport would have taken the current form that it has without him in his prime.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Lol. Brook was fastest at split 3 of FT. William qualies last year. Smith and Hard had better split 3 final time than Gwin.

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC

Dude, no offense but you have no idea what you're talking about.Smith SMOKED everyone last years during the garbo race which is a 14+ minutes...I wouldnt call that having problems holding it together.

Stevie is extremely fit, been training with Todd for many years , has a solid program with him and he's just as fit as any other top racers.

Im afraid Gwin is going to take the win again but Im not sure he will be as dominant this year...New bike, LOTS of pressure on him to deliver and now the rest of the pack is also catching up.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
GWINGWINGWINGINWGINW IS GONNA WINNNN

also, I like steve smith, and I like Brook, and I'm glad they got their WC wins, because this year I'm rooting for gwin to go 6/6 plus champs. I'd be ok if peaty took another one though.