Quantcast

Ft. William 2013 World Cup Round 1

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Or here's my theory: The Demo isn't right for every rider, didn't Sam Hill crush the field for years on Iron Horse and really didn't do a heck of a lot on the Demo. Gwin was a top 5 rider on Yeti but his dominance came in 2 years on Trek. In my 25 years (and 2 dozen diff frames) of MTB I've found certain bikes work for my riding style and certain ones just don't. I figure this is a stretch at the pro level but just my 2 cents. Minaar has had the luxury of being on the same frame for many years so guessing he's slightly hurting from his spill yesterday as I expect him near the top in just about every race.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Or here's my theory: The Demo isn't right for every rider, didn't Sam Hill crush the field for years on Iron Horse and really didn't do a heck of a lot on the Demo. Gwin was a top 5 rider on Yeti but his dominance came in 2 years on Trek.
To be fair, Sam Hill did win the overall 1x on a demo, world champs x1 on a demo, and came in 5th overall another time on a demo, in a few seasons wrought with injuries. Hard to blame the bike when you're sitting on an overall title AND a world champ title that you won on that same bike. I think everybody cought up and he simultaneously lost the edge by crashing really really hard and getting shaken a bit.

And Gwin had a top ten finish his first year on yeti, did even better his second year on yeti, and then came to form after getting some experience in his second? second and a half? year of being on the pro circuit. Again, hard to blame the yeti for "failing" in any way.

Heres to hoping gwin isn't injured/fallenofftheboat/mechanicaling, gonna be sad if rock jesus can no longer walk the rocky seas.

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Also, both gwin and minnaar 8 seconds off? ****up? mech? crash? headgames? or did they just both drop off the pace a hell of a lot more then expected?
according to gracia, the winner of this race will be whoever is fresh come beep time. i'm going with that.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
according to gracia, the winner of this race will be whoever is fresh come beep time. i'm going with that.
this!

(seems like he knows what he's talking about as he sneaked just in with 79th - hot-seat time for CG yeah!)

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
or maybe they're less concerned with trying to win quali?
I don't know if Gwin gives a hoot, but Minnaar lost at least one years overall because of poor qualifying results in recent memory. I'm pretty sure he cares about winning qualifying.

Last edited:

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010

the ever-elusive triple crown.
Kevin Aiello's bike. Apparently he can feel a noticeable increase in fork stiffness. He also rides 650b and has never had a meaningful result. I'm sure Quinton Spalding will chime in shortly with something like "It's the future you ****ing idiots!"

Last edited:

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Kevin Aiello's bike. Apparently he can feel a noticeable increase in fork stiffness. He also rides 650b and has never had a meaningful result. I'm sure Quinton Spalding will chime in shortly with something like "It's the future you ****ing idiots!"
So 650b and that extra tall top crown, must be sky scraper tall handlebars!

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
So 650b and that extra tall top crown, must be sky scraper tall handlebars!
I doubt it's actually that tall. He's running fairly flat bars there, 1" rise at most. Stem is a pretty slammed style too. The whole double crowns with a super short headtube and lots of steerer tube spacers probably just make it seem/sound tall.

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
Anyone know if we get the top 20 or all of the finals tonight on Red Bull TV? (Was last year top 20, 30, some other number?)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
either gracia isn't having a great run, or Benny Strausser is having a good one. I don't think Gracia is going to be up there all day.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My feed starts in 5min, am i doing it wrong?
nope. They show womens, then top 30 mens. we no longer get the full feed. just looking on uci live timing to see results.

Gracia already out of the hotseat.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
"one of the reasons he does so well is because he just takes his brain out"
"it is a good tactic...I mean, not literally, but its a good tactic"

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
This is not really live, RedBull you liars!

Also, where are you hearing those comments? I have just seen Rachel Atherton and waiting for elite men :shocked:

Last edited:

GekoES

Chimp
Oct 16, 2012
Spain
This is confusing, i don't know what am i seeing, Cedric doing nac nac and talking with the crowd while downhill?