Quantcast

Ft. William 2013 World Cup Round 1

DMdh

Monkey
Oct 26, 2011
Galicia
Explanation of why sam hill lost seconds in the motorway:

“It turns out that Sam had unfortunately caught his gear cable on his run and pulled it out of the rear derailleur, and was stuck in fourth gear for the final pedal where you need your biggest gear. So that was why he had lost a couple of seconds. But that’s racing! All the lads are on the pace and we just need a bit of luck next week for the second round in Italy.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
The demo bashing is kinda funny. I hope people aren't serious. All of the bikes are unreal...... It comes down to the rider. Sam had awesome results on the demo and actually did one place better on it last year when he was out of shape.
Not to mention Troy had a pretty solid result considering.
Just to make the slightly tongue in cheek counter point...

Gee dominates on commencal, switches to fury, does a ton of tweaking can't get it right and is solid but unspectacular. Gets to help design a new fury to his specs and wins on his first race with it.

Not to take anything away from the rider bit these races are crazy competitive. If everything isn't perfect, you don't win.

Last edited:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Uhmm..am I not understanding how derailures work?
One guess: He somehow yanked his cable and it pulled out of a cable stop/ferrule, enough that it would no longer drop into his smallest cogs/tallest gears.

Or he just didn't have enough gears on his super top secret new drivetrain set-up. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Gee dominates on commencal, switches to fury, does a ton of tweaking can't get it right and is solid but unspectacular. Gets to help design a new fury to his specs and wins on his first race with it.

Not to take anything away from the rider bit these races are crazy competitive. If everything isn't perfect, you don't win.
Beaumont won on the same bike. It's not the bike.

One guess: He somehow yanked his cable and it pulled out of a cable stop/ferrule, enough that it would no longer drop into his smallest cogs/tallest gears.

Or he just didn't have enough gears on his super top secret new drivetrain set-up. :D
Of all the courses that wreak havoc on equipment come finish time, it's been Ft. Bill. Minnarrrrrrrr and many others fall victims to mysterious mechanicals at this venue every year.

One conspiracy theory on Gwin's result is that if something went wrong mechanically, it would explain the direct exit from the finish area to stash the bike. But, heck, the guy is human and may have had anything from just a bad day to a serious ailment. He definitely looked overly passive on the upper reaches of the course, so whatever it was, he gained time in some weird places and lost it in uncharacteristic areas.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha

And I guess that is my point. If my derailleur cable slips, and or breaks, I can't get the bigger cogs..no problem with the smaller ones. Especially if it breaks, it ends up in the smallest cog.I'm running a 2 years old Sram X9, is this different with what is currently available (clutch system)? I know it's insignificant, but it sounds fishy to me.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
And I guess that is my point. If my derailleur cable slips, and or breaks, I can't get the bigger cogs..no problem with the smaller ones. Especially if it breaks, it ends up in the smallest cog.I'm running a 2 years old Sram X9, is this different with what is currently available (clutch system)? I know it's insignificant, but it sounds fishy to me.
On the other hand he did look ridiculously spun out on the final sprint. I was wondering if he was running a really small cog up front compared to others. Stuck in a lower gear pretty much explains it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

if the cable got yanked something else must've been up for it to stay in 4th gear. i've sheared cables off before and that drops you down to your smallest cog....

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
He smashed it and it blocked.
On another note: Did someone notice that Gee said something about his rear wheel sitting in the hotseat?
Something like:"That wouldn't hold up any longer!"

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011

Lolwut? The only reason he didn't battle it out with minaar like in the years before was gwin. Not a bike. There was no other rider who came close to those tow. They even said in the presentation that the old fury was basically the same with the geo-mods.

It's ridiculous to interpret EVERY race outcome with pure gearqueerfaggotry in a time where bikes are more similiar than ever and there are basically just two big suspension companies. Every tiny mechanical has a bigger impact than a bike frame or shock-brand. And if some component has deficits the mechanic will take care of it.

In some article there was already something along the line "we told you!!!" because juniors got won on 650b but no word about it in the elite categegory but they will pull off the same thing when everybody and their mum races 650b in the top-teams although it's insignficant when everyone rides it.

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
if the cable got yanked something else must've been up for it to stay in 4th gear. i've sheared cables off before and that drops you down to your smallest cog....
Housing pulls out and gets hung up trying to slide back in. It's now caught out nearly a centimeter and pulling the cable that amount more than the shifter is asking for. That makes it stay several gears lower than what you're asking for. Seen it happen to derailleurs and cable operated brakes, usually after a crash but could happen from getting caught by a stick or rock.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Jesus christ it's been a while.

I'd completely forgotten how effective using race team results for marketing could be. It's almost like there's no human element involved.

It's............it's just astounding really.

Anyway. That was rad watching brook hulk smash. I think he's my new rennie. The beard just seals it.

vikingboy

Monkey
Dec 15, 2009
Id rule out a one off mechanical affecting Gwin because whatever it was that caused the problem affected his quali and final runs. Not like he Q'd first....he was off the pace then as well.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
I'd completely forgotten how effective using race team results for marketing could be. It's almost like there's no human element involved.
live by the sword (best bike ever because it won), die by the sword (worst bike ever because it lost).

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
In my current shape I would rather have to push with my legs versus spinning fast with my lungs if given a choice. But that would suck being too much either way due to a cable, derailure issue...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
He smashed it and it blocked.
On another note: Did someone notice that Gee said something about his rear wheel sitting in the hotseat?
Something like:"That wouldn't hold up any longer!"
Is that a guess or do you know? I've done this too many times with SRAM rear ders, it doesn't take much. This or a hung up cable will leave you in lower gears than you want.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I <3 SEB!

I went in and looked at the results. He's got qualifying times and race times all on one screen and you can even click on each column to organize them by fastest at each.

Gwin was consistently off the lead pace in each category by virtually the exact same margin in both his qualifying and race runs, so I think we can rule out a mechanical.

I hate that it happened for him. Sometimes you screw your training up and you're physically a little off.

Can't wait to hear from him as to what he feels happened up on the hill.

Good luck to GWIN at ROUND #2!!!!

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I <3 SEB!

I went in and looked at the results. He's got qualifying times and race times all on one screen and you can even click on each column to organize them by fastest at each.
agreed - best stat site on the web. now....seb, if i buy a shirt can we get leading zero's added to values 1-9 so the sort function works properly? :)

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Did any of the Syndicate riders use the Fox air shock for their race run? If Fox can make it work as well as the Vivid Air while having much easier air can service (note the piggyback/damper body/ air can arrangement) that's a win.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
they all ran coil from what I can see. Maybe pietmaritzburgers will see them throw the air shocks on