Quantcast

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I just watched Gee's 2010 Ft William run again, and I couldn't help but think that every time he turns a pedal, Knight will be tapping 50 (that's fifty) horsepower. Although a 2 stroke makes more sense, I hope Knighter rides the big 530, which is what he won this years World Enduro Championship on and also what I ride, haha.

I do think this race is pretty silly - both guys are incredible athletes and both sports are super cool - isn't that enough? But the speculation is fun I guess. Hopefully we'll see some clean seamless footage and they won't make too much of a production out of it.
The 250SX smoker dynos at 49hp, which is not very far off of the 4t's 50ish hp. To WBC the 210lb 250 2T with a significant lower cog (no valve train above the piston) makes a the 2T a better descender than 20-30 lb heavier 450's. Compression braking is kind of a moot point with most guys running rekluse auto clutch's off road now days.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
The 250SX smoker dynos at 49hp, which is not very far off of the 4t's 50ish hp. To WBC the 210lb 250 2T with a significant lower cog (no valve train above the piston) makes a the 2T a better descender than 20-30 lb heavier 450's. Compression braking is kind of a moot point with most guys running rekluse auto clutch's off road now days.
I wouldn't say most of the really competitive guys are running the Rekluse. They're too good with the clutch and it's too much of an asset to their riding to sacrifice for the Rekluse.

I, however, am not and love my Rekluse to death. Maybe with that new EXP unit they're producing more of the top guys will be running them. I think EnduroCross is about the only thing where you see them more prominently.

If you really want engine braking with a 2T you can always cheat and add some flywheel weight. Personally I think 2T's have more than enough engine braking for serious descending. The 4T's want to bring you to a halt and they don't want to coast through corners as easy as 2T's do - easier to flow through stuff on the smoker I think.

Tootrikky

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Mount Vernon
I wouldn't say most of the really competitive guys are running the Rekluse. They're too good with the clutch and it's too much of an asset to their riding to sacrifice for the Rekluse.

I, however, am not and love my Rekluse to death. Maybe with that new EXP unit they're producing more of the top guys will be running them. I think EnduroCross is about the only thing where you see them more prominently.

If you really want engine braking with a 2T you can always cheat and add some flywheel weight. Personally I think 2T's have more than enough engine braking for serious descending. The 4T's want to bring you to a halt and they don't want to coast through corners as easy as 2T's do - easier to flow through stuff on the smoker I think.
I wasn't quite sure if the top off road guys were running them, just assumed a good percentage were, guess not. I've only been riding for a couple of yrs but I've heard than engine braking with a 2t can foul plugs pretty quickly, so I just pull in the clutch and pretend like I am on my dh bike when descending. Oh and on my flywheeled 2t, engine braking is negligible, compared to the 4t I had which would lock up the rear wheel.

Anyway back to the topic. Not ever seeing the track except for in vids I got to go with Knight. However of any of the PNW DH tracks that I have ridden I am pretty sure that a DH bike would be faster than a Moto. Fort W seems to be the most moto friendly track of all the current WC tracks ( again judging by the vid's) and one short section of going 50-60 vs 30-40 will make a huge difference.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
(In the first video page 1 lol not gee) The guy in the moto slowed down on a couple of open areas when he and hte bike were together where he couled have easily pulled away but wasnt .... He was rippin in other scenes so he definently could have..

That being said that due ripped the first few seconds hopping around and down, NICE riding... Who was that on the MTB.....

Last edited:

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
Don't take my word for it but there are unconfirmed murmerings that Gee was 7 seconds faster on the first run, then 5 secs up on the 2nd as Knight gets to grips with it and learns the track more. Gee knows the track pretty well... More running today though apparently.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
From Southerndownhill.com's forums:

Betsie said:
There was a 7 second gap on the first run and a 5 second gap on the 2nd run.
More might happen tomorrow.

But remember one person knows the track much better than the other and things are getting tight.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Peat has already raced a moto rider down a hill. It was a few years back and not a race track if I remember correctly. I think peat won.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't recall the Peat one. Did they go down the same track though, or was it one of those silly races where Peat rides a DH track and the moto rider shreds it down fireroads instead, or similar? See also every Top Gear "race" ever.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
How much practice were they allowing Knight? I hope it's more than just a couple of runs, since Gee has been racing on it since the early 2000's.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
From Atherton Racing 3 hours ago:

Practice sessions went well yesterday, the Gee v's Knighter race is on! Final showdown sometime this week when the sun comes back out!
And from Gee himself:

The battle between me & knighter continues... This is making worldcups feel like a ride in the woods!!!
Apparently the big showdown is sometime this week, so Knight should be getting plenty of practice in...

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I don't recall the Peat one. Did they go down the same track though, or was it one of those silly races where Peat rides a DH track and the moto rider shreds it down fireroads instead, or similar? See also every Top Gear "race" ever.
Seb - it was about 3 years ago and I dont remember if I saw it on TV or MTB cut/Freecaster. They came down the same trail. It was more of a friendly thing but still a race. Sounds like this is way more official. Being on the FB WC track is only upping the anti.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I went to FB WC this year for my first DH race. When I stopped at that section in the first photo and saw Ben Cathro come down and double that whole section, well I knew I finely witnessed true DH riding.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
From SDH:

"I noticed that Gee had his conti magic on his bike to help him win.

From what I hear putting my ear to the ground and listening to the bongo drums, well done to Gee. He must have smoked the machine down the technical sections of the track. Split times from different parts of the track would be cool to see.

I guess, cornering speed of the Dh bike won it in the end, ace being able to go so fast in a straight line, but them pesky corners."

No idea if his sources are accurate, if he even has any source and isn't just making it up! Look forward to seeing the times and hopefully some great footage of it.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
RedBull = sponsor. Us talking about it = coverage. Us talking about it for a month instead of for a week = more coverage. Us = mugs. RB = happy.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Have you ever heard her simplistic, neo-Cher croonings? At volume 11, they could stop a charging (deaf) bull elephant in his tracks. She can definitely pwn Vader with her auditory assaults, and she looks even more intimidating in black leather than Annikan.