Quantcast

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
That's awesome!! I'm still betting on Knight though. There are enough sections on Ft. William where a moto going 60+ will just take back too much ground on a DH bike, even if it is faster through the rough (which will also be interesting to see).

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Holy cow. That will be interesting.

Ft Bill has a few flattish/straightish sections after you get through the woods where a moto could make some big time on a DH bike, but I reckon overall Gee for the win.

And I can't wait to rub it in to a few colleagues faces!

Gridds

Monkey
Dec 18, 2008
Great Britain
I agree that a moto will probably win at Ft. Bill.

I think they should do two runs each and swap bikes for the second run. Fastest combined time for the rider wins. I reckon Gee would take that.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Gee will smash a moto down the Fort, think of all the woody bits, all the tech rocky bits, and the sheer speed Gee goes through those on. Also, gotta remember a moto cant really go too much faster on parts like the motorway, of course, technically, it can but the track cant allow for much more speed before things start being overcleared and people start ending up in bushes!

JCL

Monkey
Aug 31, 2008
I think it'll be the moto. Think of the long bottom section coming into the gap/step-down, a bike would be massively faster through there. I'd love to be proved wrong though.

Pelle

Chimp
Nov 21, 2008
Yeah I dont know. Gee will be faster in the tight bits but Knighter will kill him on the motorway. Knight can and probably will overjump the small jumps by about 20m and the KTM wont even break a sweat.
Such a long track too, Gee will be tired and Knight not so much.
Fun stuff :)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Guy on the KTM has a red #1 plate. I think he was going easy on the MTB guy haha.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Gee will smash a moto down the Fort, think of all the woody bits, all the tech rocky bits, and the sheer speed Gee goes through those on. Also, gotta remember a moto cant really go too much faster on parts like the motorway, of course, technically, it can but the track cant allow for much more speed before things start being overcleared and people start ending up in bushes!
There's one tiny woods section. The moto will destroy him on the motorway - which is a HUGE distance.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
A decent DH rider will romp away from any MX rider on pretty much any DH course I'd think, Fort Bill included. Motorway isn't as long as you think in terms of time, and the KTM guy won't be able to go THAT much quicker down it. Gee will destroy him on the rough stuff up the top - surely he can carry much more speed into corners and brake much later than an MX bike can?

Disclaimer: never ridden MX, barely watched any even. I still say £10 on Gee.

Last edited:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Gee will smoke it. By a lot too. I have been on a moto shooting big XC events. Even the XC guys with seats up can go faster than most motos on tech dh terrain.
yea but Sven, David Knight is THE best in the world at enduro moto, not only is he racing for himself, but for all of the Moto-World.

I think its going to come down to a few seconds. Def going to be awesome to watch, hope they have split times and what not so we can see how much they pull on each other.

Patrick L

Chimp
Feb 14, 2010
Peoria/Kansas City/Bozeman
anyone know when this might go down? either way if Gee or Knight wins this is going to be pretty epic.

when guys like Gee or Peaty or whoever else rides a moto for cross training what are they doing, MX, single track trails, or both i would suppose?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Gee will destroy him on the rough stuff up the top - surely he can carry much more speed into corners and brake much later than an MX bike can?
Not even close. Braking traction on a well set up offroad race bike is insane. They actually get braking traction through rough sections where a DH bike will just be bouncing all over the place. Lower overall CG means you can actually lean that thing out WAY more in flatter corners, and anything with a berm for that matter. Switchbacks and low speed ledge drops are about the only places I can think of where the dirt bike would be a massive disadvantage, and under a rider who's a trials champion, that is debatable.

Lots of moto riders you see, particularly track riders, come to almost a standstill in a corner, lay the bike over, then gun it out of a corner. Almost none of them really carry momentum through a corner. David Knight is not one of them. The very top track guys hold entry speed and momentum worlds better than the rest of the field if you look closely.

For anyone questioning his descending abilities, check out this thing called Erzberg.

dondon

Monkey
yea but Sven, David Knight is THE best in the world at enduro moto, not only is he racing for himself, but for all of the Moto-World.

I think its going to come down to a few seconds. Def going to be awesome to watch, hope they have split times and what not so we can see how much they pull on each other.
Aight then. Yuro. A wager of a six pack till next time i see you back east.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I can't imagine riding a 450 on some trails at Platty.
I can't imagine there's many, if any DH trails (obviously not freeride-ish ladder feature type trails) at any U.S. resort that wouldn't be easier/faster on a moto. I think some of the people posting in this thread don't realize in those "fast" sections on Ft. Bill when Gee will be spinning out at 40mph Knight will be wide open in 5th going 70-80mph.

Last edited:

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
No technical riding at all in that video ^ so really doesn't say much. It's all down to how much Gee could pull ahead on the top section.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
The surface up top might play to Gee's advantage. It's all hardpack with a fine, loose layer over top. Doesn't seem like the best surface for a moto to get traction on.

I am probably underestimating what a moto is capable in the rocks and even in the woods. Especially with this Mcknight dude.

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
I have seen both Gee and Knight race in person and feel that though they are both beyond amazing talents at the top of their sport the advantages are in favor of the moto.

A 450 has literally 200 times more power than a human, and it can apply this power in a fraction of a second in terrain where a rider would be clipping pedals. the moto is going to have more momentum going down hill which will only be detrimental in the very most technical sections and hairpin turns.

What do you guys think about moto choice? I feel the nimble lightness, quick hitting power and zero engine breaking of a small bore 2 stroke would be best. (I don't think you need the tractability or torque of a 4 stroke going downhill)

Sven, do you know who in Media will be covering this?

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I can't imagine there's many, if any DH trails (obviously not freeride-ish ladder feature type trails) at any U.S. resort that wouldn't be easier/faster on a moto. I think some of the people posting in this thread don't realize in those "fast" sections on Ft. Bill when Gee will be spinning out at 40mph Knight will be wide open in 5th going 70-80mph.
I don't want to get into genital wagging, but I really can't see riding a motorcycle on a bunch of the trails at Plattekill. Skidding straight downhill on shale on something that heavy and turning 90degrees in shorter than a wheelbase seems like it would be pretty gnarly.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
After seeing on TV Knigth winning the enduro of erzberg many times,he handles the terrain like it was tailor made for him.I jaw dropped how he managed to survive the gnar Carls Diner section(just unreal):eek::shocked:.

I don't know if Gee would have the advantage on rougth rock sections over the Moto but i think it will be a close call in the end.I have seen on Tv Chris Pheiffer riding against Jan Stotzer from Team bergamont in Saalbach Hinterglemm(uploaded the vid ages back on Pinkbike),great showdown between the Enduro Moto vs Freeride/Downhill bike.

Vid quality is not the best
http://www.pinkbike.com/video/106898/

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
Id say it will be a very close call but if i had to wager I'd say Knight.

Rob Warner did a similar stunt years ago on a quite open DH track.. he beat the moto rider in one run and lost in another if my memory serves me correctly.

The Gee vs car thing cant really be used as a point of reference here, he was racing a completely different line to the car.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
Kinda cool... but also a bit funky. They are not exactly going to an even middle ground, but rather a World Cup downhill bike race course. Are they gonna have Graves vs. Stewart on a supercross track next? No.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I don't want to get into genital wagging, but I really can't see riding a motorcycle on a bunch of the trails at Plattekill. Skidding straight downhill on shale on something that heavy and turning 90degrees in shorter than a wheelbase seems like it would be pretty gnarly.
:stupid:

I'd be really impressed if you can get a moto down a lot of the stuff on the triple side.

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Kinda cool... but also a bit funky. They are not exactly going to an even middle ground, but rather a World Cup downhill bike race course. Are they gonna have Graves vs. Stewart on a supercross track next? No.
Well come on, let's be realistic here. It's not like anybody has any doubts about which is faster in the wide open. They're trying to make it interesting. And perhaps show that in certain terrains, a non-powered vehicle might actually be faster and than a powered vehicle.

Of course it's stupid, I just see it as ammo to all the guys at work that say I'm a wimp for riding a bicycle rather than a moto.