Quantcast

FTP in windows

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
( I use dreamweaver for webstuff no problem)

I've got to FTP some maps the the park service server. I know I did this once before, just a straight windows to windows type transfer. IIRC, it was almost as easy as drag and drop but I forget how. Help? I have to get this 131 mb map uploaded in the next day or so.

Sep 8, 2004
I use Firefox's FireFTP plugin. Its pretty handy. Just setup your connection info, click connect, then drag files from your system to the server. Doesn't get much easier.

-James.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Hmm, I can't remember exactly how I did it when I couldn't find my copy of WS FTP LE, and couldn't find a site to download it for free. It seems like I used something that was called publish to web, it took some searching to find it last time and I can't find it now. It seems like it was something integrated with microsoft office, like it was an option in the file menu or something but I can't find it now. Maybe that was when I had front page installed.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I found something in the control panel under add remove programs, windows components, internet information services, called file transfer protocol (FTP) service, that might help you out some. I didn't want to install it for no reason.

WS FTP LE works well and is free, google will find it for you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just open up Windows Explorer, and type:

ftp://your.server.name/

...into the title bar. It'll prompt you for a username and password, and you can drag and drop your files.

It's not as speedy as a dedicated FTP program but it works fine and is very user friendly.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
yeah it's great - I knew it was something really lame/simple like that.

I can't wait to release some of these maps. Our club got a copy of ARCGIS from ESRI on a grant for $100. We are working on a trails project that encompasses taking an unrecognized system of over 30 miles of trails that is on private, park, and utility land, and legalizing it.
I'm learning GIS by the seat of my pants now but man do I love maps!! One goal of the project is to produce a map for the user community - has not been done yet because of the private property involved. We are working on contacting all the landowners, and getting user agreements in place.

gg