Quantcast

>*<FTS fridag GMT>*<

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Inspired by stoney I have been going low(ish) carb for a week or so. I do remember reading that one gets through it eventually, but feeling crabby and having very little perceived energy is annoying and a half.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
got some medications, they make me pretty sleepy though (Though that could be me not sleeping well, and being 100% off of coffee since Tuesday)

hopefully a weekends worth of sleep will make me semi functional for Monday? if not will see about getting meds swapped out

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I think there is benefit to lowering carb proportions of overall calories even if not at 30g carb ketosis levels. Basically we should all eat as if we are diabetic.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Made some home made Sauerkraut and it was pretty tasty. Traditional pickling (fermented) seems easier. Anyone have any pickling brine recipes?

mmmmm.... pickles :drool:

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Inspired by stoney I have been going low(ish) carb for a week or so. I do remember reading that one gets through it eventually, but feeling crabby and having very little perceived energy is annoying and a half.
I don't know what your goal is, but I've found it's easier to eat a "low carb" diet if you add lots of fruits and fatty proteins such as cheese and walnuts. That stuff is really nutrient dense and helps you not feel hungry or low energy. I know some fruits are high in carbs but they have so many other benefits. Plus, you aren't likely to eat a whole bag of grapes like you would a box of cookies or something so over all you reduce your carbs. (don't overdo it on the nuts though unless you want to have some rough sessions on the shitter)

Unless you're super serious about being in "ketosis" all the time it's not a reasonable diet goal. Also, the long term health befits of that kind of eating are far from proven.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
God damned drama in the hood. Had to break up a fight between two bull lesbian neighbors vs mom of one of them. Second time today cops have been over there. Had to give statements and all that shit. Stepped on something running barefoot across the street. Christ on a crutch, I need to move. :rolleyes:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Aborted original plans and drove way up north for the weekend. Saw 3 moose and a deer on side of road. Further down the highway was a pulled over pickup and cop car. Dude obliterated a deer.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
God damned drama in the hood. Had to break up a fight between two bull lesbian neighbors vs mom of one of them. Second time today cops have been over there. Had to give statements and all that shit. Stepped on something running barefoot across the street. Christ on a crutch, I need to move. :rolleyes:
You thinking like Seattle?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Next time let them fight it out while you get it all on video. People will pay good money to watch that shit on youtube:fans:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Dark Phoenix had none of the emotional depth of the recent MCU films. Meh.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
lots of fruits - "low carb" :think:
Eliminating fruit in a low carb diet is a common diet mistake. Over restriction of what you can eat leads people to fail at following their diet. Here is a list of low carb fruit for you:
  • Tomatoes: 3.2 g per 100 g (1 tomato)
  • Watermelon: 7.6 g per 100 g (one-third of a wedge)
  • Strawberries: 7.7 g per 100 g (two-thirds of a cup)
  • Cantaloupe: 8.2 g per 100 g (two small wedges)
  • Avocado: 8.5 g per 100 g (half an avocado)
  • Peaches: 9.5 g per 100 g (one large peach)
Even if you substitute a "high carb" fruit for bread or sweets you are going to be improving. Unless you are a true diet freak you are probably not aiming at "ketosis" you are probably trying to reduce your weight by reducing your "empty" or "bad" caloric intake. A "low carb" diet is a ham-fisted way to achieve this. In my opinion the easiest way to do this is to eat nutrient dense food that will make you feel satisfied long before you would (calorie wise) eating bread and other low nutrient food. Fruit definitely fits the bill as nutrient dense.

Here are a list of "high carb" fruit that people drinking "low carb" koolaid might cut out of their diet:

Grapes (1 cup / 151g) 26 grams
Banana (1 medium) 24 grams
Pear (1 medium) 22 grams
Apple (1 medium) 21 grams
Pineapple (1 cup / 165g) 20 grams
Blueberries (1 cup / 148g) 17 grams
Oranges (1 medium) 12 grams
Kiwi (1 medium) 9 grams
Strawberries (1 cup / 144g) 8 grams

A medium banana has about the same number of cabs and calories as two slices of wheat bread. That banana is high in a number of important vitamins and minerals and is in my opinion much more filling than two slices of toast. Imagine you substitute a banana for your 2 slices of toast in the morning. You are winning, you will intake more nutrients and feel more satisfied while consuming the same number of carbs, which will lead to less snacking later.

Dieting is about results, hitting the weight, look, or health goals you want to, not about following goofy diet plans. Cutting out bread and refined sugar is a much more results driven strategy than going "low carb". Even if you are not "gluten sensitive" there is more and more research showing that grain intake contributes to intestinal (and secondarily brain) inflammation. Refined sugar is just the devil in general so cutting that should be a goal long before anything else if you actually care about health.

@Toshi tagged for diet encouragement.

Last edited: