Quantcast

@#$! Fts GMT !$#@

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Cut, split and stacked another couple of face cords of wood yesterday. More than half way finished with the firewood. Probably some more of the same today and a bike ride with SqEarl & the youngest too!

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Finished up a butt load of maintenance on mah unridable 26” trail slackness and rode Thuper Awethum for the first time since September yesterday evening. Even put a new saddle on it.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Had 2 dart out from a side street this morning without even looking. Had to slam on my brakes, and was close enough to see how startled they were by the car horn. Dipshits.
That is exactly what happened to me. I took a fork in the road and had a guy empty out of a side street like no one was there. Had to slam on the brakes to avoid turning one 2D, and of course they proceeded to ride double after that. :rolleyes:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Put a new chain and headed out to go riding, having driveway tested its shifting.

Quickly found out that it skips like a champ. Cassette has seen better days.

So I headed home without actually riding, got gas at Costco, and just ordered up two new cassettes and three chains.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Hey, look at that! Despite my best efforts, this looks like a bike.

Lots more to do on it, including dropper setup, but it is now grail-shaped.

Once more, I revel in @StiHacka 's castoffs. He threw in some sweet Ti flat bars I will likely put on as I dial in the cockpit.

First time using so many new components to build a bike. It was like a dream. The Box 9speed was (obviously) an easy setup. Planned on a little chain guide but there wasn't much way to stuff one in there; with the clutch on this thing I think I may be OK anyway.

received_2902791366601928.jpeg

received_2890563737864900.jpeg

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Just got back from a ride with the girls. They both did great. My youngest definitely rides like her father. Both bombed through the skinny and hit a small jump a couple of times. Makes this mama monkey proud!
9BD2BF34-BA72-49D8-89B2-8D7BB4C71E38.jpeg

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Put a new chain and headed out to go riding, having driveway tested its shifting.

Quickly found out that it skips like a champ. Cassette has seen better days.

So I headed home without actually riding, got gas at Costco, and just ordered up two new cassettes and three chains.

That’s beyond fucked! :eek:

May I recommend Molten Speed Wax for your new chains? And a chain measuring tool it seems!

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Hey, look at that! Despite my best efforts, this looks like a bike.

Lots more to do on it, including dropper setup, but it is now grail-shaped.

Once more, I revel in @StiHacka 's castoffs. He threw in some sweet Ti flat bars I will likely put on as I dial in the cockpit.

First time using so many new components to build a bike. It was like a dream. The Box 9speed was (obviously) an easy setup. Planned on a little chain guide but there wasn't much way to stuff one in there; with the clutch on this thing I think I may be OK anyway.

View attachment 162578

View attachment 162579
Hey... let us know how that Box 9 setup treats ya. I've been e-curious about that drivetrain.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
That’s beyond fucked! :eek:

May I recommend Molten Speed Wax for your new chains? And a chain measuring tool it seems!
I have a chain stretch tool. Old one was at 1.0. Whoops.

Thus the new chain. And now cassette, this bike’s third one. I’ll pay more attention to it going forward now that I’ll have spares at hand.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
The kitteh found a mouse at 3am this morning and decided to bring it beside the bed. I was so tired that I didn't really care, but the growling and hissing man, holy cow. SHUT UP AND JUST KILL IT LOL. Mouse got loose and scooted under the fridge and has since dissapeared..

Rode some DH today. It rained, which was awesome for the trails and it cancelled at a wedding at the top of the chair lift, so they didn't have to shut it down for the ceremony.

But my brand new Maxxis Aggressor got a hole in it and starting pissing sealant everywhere. Not sure how that happens on sandy trails, but okay. First time I've ever put a hole in a tire.

And now work...something has shit the bed and died. Joy.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I hauled ass for 60 miles on the tri bike today, then had a 3 mile brick run. Picked up a strip steak for some dinner grillin'.

Wife is away all weekend so I dumped the new dog into day care for the day. She loves it there and comes home exhausted. $20 well spent.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The kitteh found a mouse at 3am this morning and decided to bring it beside the bed. I was so tired that I didn't really care, but the growling and hissing man, holy cow. SHUT UP AND JUST KILL IT LOL. Mouse got loose and scooted under the fridge and has since dissapeared..

Rode some DH today. It rained, which was awesome for the trails and it cancelled at a wedding at the top of the chair lift, so they didn't have to shut it down for the ceremony.

But my brand new Maxxis Aggressor got a hole in it and starting pissing sealant everywhere. Not sure how that happens on sandy trails, but okay. First time I've ever put a hole in a tire.

And now work...something has shit the bed and died. Joy.
Hate to break it to you... the aggressor is not a dh tire.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Hate to break it to you... the aggressor is not a dh tire.
It has enough tread and whatnot that I'd argue against that. This was an exo casing tire. I have a double down Aggressor ready to go if it happens again.

And DH is a loosely used term for this place. Its really just lift serviced trails, which happen to point downhill. I got the hole on a sandy blue trail, not a rock in sight.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Accounts I've heard... Works fine, just not as refined as Shimano or sram
That's pretty much it for me with the Microshift stuff... it's a drivetrain and it works. As a mechanic and a rider I am such a hack as to prefer things that accept abuse and keep working and I never notice whether it is Cadillac-smooth anyway while I am riding. Too busy avoiding either cardiac or kinetic death depending on direction.

The Box offered a wider range of cogs so I thought I would try it too. It is also supposed to give the benefits from narrow-wide compatible rings, which I wasn't sure if the other 9spd stuff did.

A 40t cog sunrace cassette didn't work for me with old x9 stuff though, even with a longer b-tension screw.

9spd is plenty for me and I love using tool-free master links.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's pretty much it for me with the Microshift stuff... it's a drivetrain and it works. As a mechanic and a rider I am such a hack as to prefer things that accept abuse and keep working and I never notice whether it is Cadillac-smooth anyway while I am riding. Too busy avoiding either cardiac or kinetic death depending on direction.

The Box offered a wider range of cogs so I thought I would try it too. It is also supposed to give the benefits from narrow-wide compatible rings, which I wasn't sure if the other 9spd stuff did.

A 40t cog sunrace cassette didn't work for me with old x9 stuff though, even with a longer b-tension screw.

9spd is plenty for me and I love using tool-free master links.
My kids bike came with a microshift drivetrain. Which is a great application for it.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Drove to central Mass to ride easy bikes with wife, then spent the entire afternoon at a local brewery because 1) awesome smoked ribs 2) good cheap-ish beer on tap 3) pretty awesome band playing classic rock 'n' roll isht. God, I missed live music, this was therapy.