Quantcast

@#$! Fts GMT !$#@

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Had to abort a ride really early tonight due to smoke for the first time this year. July is definitely early for that.
You've been lucky then, we've had bad patches for the last several weeks. This afternoon I haven't been able to see the peaks 8 miles away. We can normally see clear to the divide, 25 miles away.

But then we're all lucky compared to the poor SOB's who've got direct fire issues or mud slides from burn scars.

I should check in with my firefighter brother in BC...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
More noodling today. Those magnetic internal routing tools are great. Couldn’t be easier.

74A71DB8-9F80-4BEA-A9B5-59077CF1B451.jpeg

There is a certain je ne sais quoi about the floating brake — it looks super cool, even if it is a huge waste of metal.

7D2E79DE-D7D9-4BC9-BFDE-E05FF702AE05.jpeg

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Really getting there with this now, functionally at least. Much felting has happened but it is paying off.

Feeling a bit sad, will have to go slower. I do like a slow burn project to think about. Brakes are a good, actually the whole thing seems solid and surprisingly ‘tight’. I am quite pleased about this because everything is second hand or older, with the exception of bearings, all the bolts, the drivetrain and tyres really. It is a new wheel build with fresh spokes which really helps too. OK I guess a fair bit is kinda new.

D4DB57C0-1386-4396-BCC4-6C5420777DC7.jpeg

Anyway got to the stage where I can sit on it and bounce it all around. As a giant single pivot it is soooo active. Just chucked in about 170psi and worked my way up to about 220psi in the rear with 120 in the boost thingy, and it’s still bouncy as. Lots of tuning to be done I think. Also it does feel a bit like a springy BMX right now compared to the big old YT. It’s quite interesting actually, even in the workshop it feels ‘confident’. I will need to find some tight and gnarly shit for it. Lots of tuning will be required though I think. Need to read more about this shock, and I’ll probably end up push the front up a bit higher.

I hate the bars though already, can’t find an angle I like. Have ordered new ones.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Really getting there with this now, functionally at least. Much felting has happened but it is paying off.

Feeling a bit sad, will have to go slower. I do like a slow burn project to think about. Brakes are a good, actually the whole thing seems solid and surprisingly ‘tight’. I am quite pleased about this because everything is second hand or older, with the exception of bearings, all the bolts, the drivetrain and tyres really. It is a new wheel build with fresh spokes which really helps too. OK I guess a fair bit is kinda new.

View attachment 162610

Anyway got to the stage where I can sit on it and bounce it all around. As a giant single pivot it is soooo active. Just chucked in about 170psi and worked my way up to about 220psi in the rear with 120 in the boost thingy, and it’s still bouncy as. Lots of tuning to be done I think. Also it does feel a bit like a springy BMX right now compared to the big old YT. It’s quite interesting actually, even in the workshop it feels ‘confident’. I will need to find some tight and gnarly shit for it. Lots of tuning will be required though I think. Need to read more about this shock, and I’ll probably end up push the front up a bit higher.

I hate the bars though already, can’t find an angle I like. Have ordered new ones.
Maybe try a 5th Element on it? A friend had a 222 with it back in the day and it felt really good.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Maybe try a 5th Element on it? A friend had a 222 with it back in the day and it felt really good.
Yes I seem to remember that was regarded as the ‘classic’ shock for this bike. I haven’t seen one for sale for donkeys though. This Fox does have the propedal though, so if I can get the set-up right…

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yes I seem to remember that was regarded as the ‘classic’ shock for this bike. I haven’t seen one for sale for donkeys though. This Fox does have the propedal though, so if I can get the set-up right…
Shock length is 222 mm, or?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
More noodling today. Those magnetic internal routing tools are great. Couldn’t be easier.

View attachment 162601

There is a certain je ne sais quoi about the floating brake — it looks super cool, even if it is a huge waste of metal.

View attachment 162602
Fun to watch this project.come together.

Question: Is 8.8 the best grade of bolt to be using at the end of the strut? Looks like everything else (axle and caliper bolts) is 12.9. 8.8 is fairly low yield strength and that bolt looks likes it is used in shear instead of tension, which would tend to make me want to err on the side of stronger...