Quantcast

***FTS MONDAY GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Yuna was probably up half a dozen times. She enjoys her freedom to roam out of her room too much. Perhaps these freedoms will have to be curtailed, Trump-style.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Good morning Monkies! I am beginning to feel human again after a pretty rough last week. I had thought it was overtraining but 3 dyas of rest didnt improve things, today will be my 6th day of no gym and I am finally feeling rested. I think I may have caught a bug of some sort.

Aside from that business has been pretty good this January... thanks Trump?

NOT its because of the weather, last year we had no snow accumulation after the new year and the weather was unseasonably warm.

Have a super day. :)

I dont pay too much attention to politicians but I have learned that, once you have a lot lot of money, a hot wife and the presidency, crowd size becomes more important than penis size. Once again, its not the white guy that wins...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Yuna was probably up half a dozen times. She enjoys her freedom to roam out of her room too much. Perhaps these freedoms will have to be curtailed, Trump-style.
Install a baby gate and make her pay?!

both my boys slept through the night. fuckin' eh! I on the other hand woke up about 4x. wtf???

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Got a good crew out working on our trails. Buffed in a big lander on the last jump of the main line. Gonna be fun come spring!

Not huge but the lander is long. Even @jackalope won't be able to flatland this thing.
FullSizeRender.jpg

Damn dog never lifts a finger. She only supervises.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Install a baby gate and make her pay?!

both my boys slept through the night. fuckin' eh! I on the other hand woke up about 4x. wtf???
I thought we were done with baby gates. We sold them all…

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

Good weekend. Highlight was definitely the XC ski session on Saturday. The new skis are an absolute blast, way more fun than the traditional XC skis we saw a couple struggling along mightily with.

XC Skiing.JPG

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
'Monday. 2700 yard swim before work.
what do you think about while you're doing all that splashing? i used to get bored after 500yds. "Hmm, I wonder what I should have for dinner. Should I get the blue rims or the white ones? What is the deal with Trump's hair"

where do you guys ski?
We went to cannon. Decent hill. Butt terrible conditions.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
what do you think about while you're doing all that splashing? i used to get bored after 500yds. "Hmm, I wonder what I should have for dinner. Should I get the blue rims or the white ones? What is the deal with Trump's hair"

We went to cannon. Decent hill. Butt terrible conditions.
Yeah, the mind drifts all over the place during those swims. This was a one hour workout including stoppage time, so it's not that bad. Those 4000+ yard swims during Ironman training were mental torture.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
What skis are they?
Altai Hok 125cm with universal bindings.

We were skiing a trail that could be described as being similar to a groomed XC track only single wide in some places. The majority of people were using snowshoes, though there were a few with microspikes. The integrated climbing skins killed it on the uphills, they offered flotation that was better than snowshoes off trail and they could execute decent turns going down. Muchos fun.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

We were skiing a trail that could be described as being similar to a groomed XC track only single wide in some places. The majority of people were using snowshoes, though there were a few with microspikes. The integrated climbing skins killed it on the uphills, they offered flotation that was better than snowshoes off trail and they could execute decent turns going down. Muchos fun.
Where didja go?

Wife and I were trying to decide on shoeing somewhere yesterday, gave up thinking and went for a ride instead.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

those look like they could be fun, and a good way to "groom" fatbike trails... How would you say they fare with hard snow, and crusty breakable snow? (especially on the downs?). Though I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time justifying a 6th pair of skis, in addition to snow shoes, and my 4 bikes... (#whitepeopleproblems)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Hmmm, looks and sounds good. Now to read more about 125 vs 145 length... Better maneuverability in tight spots vs more glide. :monkey:

those look like they could be fun, and a good way to "groom" fatbike trails... How would you say they fare with hard snow, and crusty breakable snow? (especially on the downs?). Though I'm pretty sure I'd have a hard time justifying a 6th pair of skis, in addition to snow shoes, and my 4 bikes... (#whitepeopleproblems)
Interested in that too. They do have steel edge.. And aren't too pricey. :)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

So the wife had been gearing up for this whole march thing last month and then she broke her ankle and was all sorts of bummed out. My sister had knitted her a hat, she had gotten an offensive t-shirt, she was all excited and then she had surgery. I felt bad, so I said f-it and rented her a wheelchair and said I would push her around.

We got downtown at 10:30, was told it started at noon (started at 1:30) but there were folks everywhere. Parked at the office, grabbed some food cart, then headed to the waterfront. Set up on the corner of Morrison and Naito and folks were flooding in. By noon it was packed from the waterfront all the way to 3rd and as far as the eye could see down either side of Naito.

We didn't do the full march route, it was REALLY tough to move around with everyone there. We left around 2:30. The cops were awesome, they speculate 100k folks and had no issues. A ton of great signs and a great vibe all together.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Where didja go?

Wife and I were trying to decide on shoeing somewhere yesterday, gave up thinking and went for a ride instead.
Wild Basin trailhead of RMNP. Snow and trails were in real good shape.

Way more predictable and easy to handle on the hard crusty stuff. The climbing skin section offered significantly more traction than fish scales and you do have the metal edges in the event you have to side step up something. Performance was good in the hard crusty stuff and I have to imagine that with a bit more time on them I'll be able to ski the downs and carve turns. The climbing skin does act as a brake of sorts so you do have a put a little more kick-glide into gradual downs but it offers a measure of control on the steeper twistier stuff as well.

I could even skate in them a little bit as well which was cool too.

Hmmm, looks and sounds good. Now to read more about 125 vs 145 length... Better maneuverability in tight spots vs more glide. :monkey:

Interested in that too. They do have steel edge.. And aren't too pricey. :)
We snagged ours at LL Bean with a 25% off coupon for $235. Considering how much fun we had I wouldn't balk at paying full price.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
For Trump on Friday, they say there were 75k folks there.

After touting a historic crowd, Conway blamed the inclement weather for discouraging more attendees: "First of all, there was rain -- the downpour that was reported -- and I think it deterred many people from coming."
There were 100k folks on Saturday in the pouring rain. If it would have been cloudy, it could have been 150k, just in Portland. Crazy, just crazy. :rofl:

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Took the spawn snowboarding on Saturday. It was our first day out for the year and she did really good. Still working on turning, but she is getting better. Looking like I am on the hook for taking her every Saturday for the next few weeks.
Rode a loop on some snowmobile trails that I can't ride in the summer on the winter bike yesterday. The snow was softening quite rapidly as I was riding it. The last 1/2 hour was a slow and slushy slog, but I had a beer waiting for me in the truck. Worth it.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Took the spawn snowboarding on Saturday. It was our first day out for the year and she did really good. Still working on turning, but she is getting better. Looking like I am on the hook for taking her every Saturday for the next few weeks.
Rode a loop on some snowmobile trails that I can't ride in the summer on the winter bike yesterday. The snow was softening quite rapidly as I was riding it. The last 1/2 hour was a slow and slushy slog, but I had a beer waiting for me in the truck. Worth it.
yeah, took my guy skiing on Saturday too. Second weekend in a row. He felt he'd outgrown the magic carpet and wanted to try the chair lift (and subsequently longer hills). He's was fearlessly bombing down the hill, absolutely loving it.

I haven't been working too hard on technique or anything, I just wanted to let him have fun out there and do what he felt comfortable doing. I think I'm going to have to work with him on turning and slowing down... he was in a wedge, but not really slowing down, and would hit the mini-moguls in the middle of the slope and would just blow up. He was fine each of the three times he fell, and kept wanting to go back, but I'm a little worried he's too out of control.... so now it's time for lessons I think. I had thought acquiring the equipment was the expensive part... but now it's lessons and lift tickets for the entire family... I know, I know...