Quantcast

Ftw fb10

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Been waiting on this one for a while now. New bikes are so cool!

Naked and in bondage:

After some fappage with steel wool and aluminum polish, plus a bit of assembly.

With stickers

The wheels (Azonic Outlaws) are pretty awesome. How can you complain when something combines bikes, babes AND boobs? That's most of the B list right there. (Now if I could just figure out how to get bacon involved here...)

Still waiting on Saint cranks and an e-13 LG1+ (white). With any luck I'll break her in at Whistler Monday or Tuesday.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
That looks really really good! Im loving my own Single-Pivot bike (Xprezo)

Single-Pivot fo life!

blender

Monkey
Oct 19, 2006
MDR
The wheels (Azonic Outlaws) are pretty awesome. How can you complain when something combines bikes, babes AND boobs? That's most of the B list right there. (Now if I could just figure out how to get bacon involved here...)
clearly. they should have used strips of Bacon instead of strips of tape on the boobs!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
I always thought this bike was ugly, even uglier than my Stinky. It sure rides well though, hope you will enjoy it for a long time. Did you check frame weight before assembly?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Built my FB-10 up today! Took it for a 1.5 hour trail ride. Did well, I however didn't (3 days of strep throat).

Will post pics later after the weekend race at Platty.

EDIT: I noticed a few positive changes from my previous ride (R9): easier to turn, easier to manual/get the front end up, has a lower BB and sprints well. Will get the full dh test this weekend. Still have to get the Vivid dialed in, was bottoming out on smallish drops (3-4 feet).

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
I have to admit that I liked the concept drawings, but was not in love with the look. In person the bike is plainly and obviously a work of art. Pictures really do not do it justice. I love the fact that you can tell just by looking at it that it is meant to be hammered on.

Not having the cranks is KILLING me!!!

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I have to admit that I liked the concept drawings, but was not in love with the look. In person the bike is plainly and obviously a work of art. Pictures really do not do it justice. I love the fact that you can tell just by looking at it that it is meant to be hammered on.

Not having the cranks is KILLING me!!!
Despite not having your NEW cranks for it..... May want to rob some off of another one of your rigs to hammer on that thing this weekend!

Actually, maybe none of your other rigs are 83mm.... Or, you'd have already thought of that one, I'm sure!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Despite not having your NEW cranks for it..... May want to rob some off of another one of your rigs to hammer on that thing this weekend!

Actually, maybe none of your other rigs are 83mm.... Or, you'd have already thought of that one, I'm sure!
All my other rigs are 73. Actually, I have some crank arms and a Box Guide I could pull off the Ridge, but I'd have to buy a new BB. Trust me, I'm seriously considering it.

As for clearcoating, no, I'm just going to let it oxidize on its own and dull down a bit over time. My Ridge is also raw and looks perfect (but not all shiny), so I'm going for that. When I first opened up the box, the frame had come pretty much straight from heat treatment and looked a bit too dull. Very fine steel wool does work wonders on raw aluminum.

I just ran all the cable and brake lines, and the routing on the frame is so simple and elegant. Perfectly symmetrical, totally unobtrusive. No obnoxious twists or turns needed. I have put together other bikes where the cables were always sitting in some odd position to clear just because of how the frame was designed (my old rigid was the worst for this!). It is nice to be able to run full length housing on the shifter cable.

Last edited:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Been waiting on this one for a while now. New bikes are so cool!

Naked and in bondage:

After some fappage with steel wool and aluminum polish, plus a bit of assembly.

With stickers

Still waiting on Saint cranks and an e-13 LG1+ (white). With any luck I'll break her in at Whistler Monday or Tuesday.
The wheels are hot the frame not so much. Although I would like to know how it rides.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Anxious to hear how you like those bars as well....
A buddy of mine just threw them on his DH rig... no ride report from him yet. Went from Sunline V1s to the Answers.
What bars were you running before?

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
I was (am) running Deity Dirty 30s and Easton Havoc 28s (on the hard tail). I'm headed to the hill in a few minutes and I'll let you know how it went when I get back.

EDIT: Initial impressions.
First run up Fromme. Being the mechanical genius that I am :rolleyes: I set the chain too short, so of course it snapped in half on the first decent hit. The rest of the ride was chainless. The bike feels slack and low, which is a really good thing on the descents. The bike - even chainless - BEGS to go faster. The faster I went, the better it felt, and it felt pretty damn good at a standstill. It is really easy to move the bike around and the rear likes to stay planted in the chunder. The wider bars felt instantly comfortable, and once the brakes started to burn in a bit, tight & steep corners were no problem. The bike eats drops like they are not even there. It does the steeps so well that it feels like I'm cheating. I have been on the hard tail for a while now, so I am used to having to really pick lines carefully. What I find already is that the FB10 allows me to see bigger lines and hit them smoothly. Root gaps that used to be a real stretch now seem obvious and easy. Steeps seem less steep. Rocks that I had to avoid now look like take off spots. It is a super cool feeling.

The bike is longer than what I am used to, but right away I have a decent sense of where the rear wheel is going to go. There were one or 2 jumps where I rode today, but not enough to give any kind of evaluation of how it does in that regard. From the little I did today, I suspect it will jump very well. The BB is also a bit lower than on my other suspended bike, so it will take me a ride to figure out where my pedals are. Overall, the bike feels natural, comfortable, fast and SMOOTH.

Whistler tomorrow if all goes well, and that will be the real test.

Last edited:

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Though I am biased, I have to agree with Rigidhack's dh assessment. Raced my FB-10 this weekend at the Platty GES event. I felt that I was able to ride the course much faster than my previous bike and felt confident to hit many lines I had been so-so with prior. I was also hitting a few more rocks with the lower BB, but that's a slight trade off for the better handling abilities at speed.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Though I am biased, I have to agree with Rigidhack's dh assessment. Raced my FB-10 this weekend at the Platty GES event. I felt that I was able to ride the course much faster than my previous bike and felt confident to hit many lines I had been so-so with prior. I was also hitting a few more rocks with the lower BB, but that's a slight trade off for the better handling abilities at speed.
You'll get used to it. I think the course we were on is the only run at Platty I can get down without a pedal strike on the Draco. I've accepted the fact that I'm going to mash pedals into everything and it doesn't bother me anymore. My cranks and pedals look like complete ****, but whatever.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Whistler report:

Three things I discovered today
1.) All you big bike pinner guys that have made me think "how do you get skill like that?" have been f*ing CHEATING this whole time. Big bikes make difficult stuff EASY.

2.) Anybody that hates on single pivot bikes has NO IDEA what they are talking about. (OK, I kinda knew this one already, but it is now absolutely confirmed.)

3.) Money spent on armour is always money well spent.

To give a few more details, I ran the FB10 (this time with a chain) at Whistler all day today. It took a run or 2 to get the settings dialed, as the rebound was set fast and the back end was popping too much on lips. Two clicks and all was right. First off, as I got a taste of the day before, this bike wants to go FAST. Not only that, but it loves to jump. Very stable in the air, yet easy to move around. This is good news for me. Gaps on Dirt Merchant that I often struggle to make were simple today. The bike carries so much speed through corners and chunder that I don't have to crank all that much. When I want to crank, the bike does not feel like a bobbing cork, but just gets up and goes. It behaves well in the tight and twisty stuff too, which was a surprise given the super sized wheelbase on the XL.

Chunder sections that had me on the brakes before are now no big deal. Even Blue Velvet felt manageably smooth - which is saying a lot given how beat down it is at the moment. I figured I would give Whitesnake - which is basically a steep rock face - a try and the thing felt like it was paved. Very cool. I did strike my pedals here and there, but really no more often than I usually do.

That brings me to point number 3. I tried one of the nasty lines on In Deep and came in way too hot. The brakes are more powerful than I am used to now that they have burned in, so when I went to check, I locked up the rear by mistake. Now I am going too fast and sideways down the sketchy rock. Had to get off the brakes to straighten out, but by then it was too late to properly pop the front wheel off the last little drop. Bury the front wheel and OTB I go, right onto my head. I had the Omega brace on, and I think it saved my bacon (see, I know I could work it in somewhere).

Fortunately, a whole team of racers were right there watching/filming me eat dirt. Don't know who they were, or if they got my crash, but it was pretty much an epic fail moment on my part all the way around. :redface:

Overall I am completely impressed with this bike. It just feels right, and it is only going to get better as I get used to it.

Last edited:

soul-skier

Monkey
May 18, 2009
Mother Nature
I rode Jim Mac's FB10 in the lot at Platty last week. I was impressed that the bike felt "right" except for the steeper H/A (my Furax is 63.5) and narrow handlebars. It's a good lookin' bike too. Donnie's paint job is sick! Soooo 1985 BMX. RAD!

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I rode Jim Mac's FB10 in the lot at Platty last week. I was impressed that the bike felt "right" except for the steeper H/A (my Furax is 63.5) and narrow handlebars. It's a good lookin' bike too. Donnie's paint job is sick! Soooo 1985 BMX. RAD!
Neil, just to make you feel better, I put on 780 mm bars and plan to push my stantions all the way down!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
I have decided that the stock spring in the Boxxer is not right for me. It is diving like mad - as evidenced by two trips OTB in two rides (landing on the same shoulder both times). As for everything else, the bike is amazingly comfortable. I do feel pretty much at home on it except on super skinny skinnies, but only because I am not sure where my back wheel is just yet. Even so, I am finding it really easy to place the bike where I want it to be. I am simply stunned at how much speed this bike wants to carry. I'm not sure how this works, but the bike feels planted when I want it to be planted, but pops like crazy when I want it to. I can hit sections at speed that have me grabbing brakes on my other rigs, so I am clearing sections of say Dirt Merchant that I have never made before. Gave it a quick run down CBC and made much more of the gerbil cage than I usually do, with the exception of one rounded off log that requires super precise placement of the rear wheel. I suspect it will be very easy to correct that within the next couple of rides.

Gotta say I am feeling good about this bike. NY_Star, you nailed it. Not so pretty in pictures, but gorgeous in real life.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Yeah not too bad at all. I have the Vivid set to basically the factory suggested startup settings. I am running the beginning stroke rebound pretty slow - or at least it feels slow in the parking lot bounce test - as the suggested settings made the bike a bit too active in the rear. (It felt like the back end was coming up too high off jumps and the like, so I dialed it back a click and everything was great). I am still fiddling with things, but it seems to be doing just fine. The adjustments on the Vivid are really noticeable. I am far from a suspension guru, and I think I need to play around with the various settings more just to see what happens, but so far so good.

I did speed up the beginning stroke rebound at one point and managed to get ejected on a rough but slow speed section. That was due to the diving fork combined with the overly fast rear end. Dialed it back a click or 2 and everything was fine again.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Just another fun fact. My other friends medium f-bomb built up to 63 deg HA and 14 inch BB with 2.5 HR/DHF and a completely slammed 888 (below "safe" lines) and zero stack headset.

Edit:

FYI he's 6 foot ish, rode a Large r9, and has found the medium to be about perfect on him.

Last edited:

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
No worries.

Since my second OTB , my fork has been in the shop to make sure oil levels and spring rates are all good. I have also ben nursing a sore shoulder (messed up my supraspinatus and possibly bruised or chipped my shoulder blade). I am the worst injured person ever, (which is not saying that I have the worst injuries ever), because I have a really hard time allowing myself to just be injured. I don't want to be hurt, so I pretend I'm not and f* myself up more in the process. I don't do sickness well either.