Quantcast

Fuck. Van Halen dead.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Recently on YouTube a few guitarists were discussing how it is that EVH just simply playing his own way, all the time, allows some things to just not be replicated by others doing Van Halen songs. Forget what it was, but it's those nano-timing changes my the picking hand which in theory speed up Tempo for a moment, but instead work in a poly-tonal type sound @ pick and, repeats at the same intervals. Was early VH whatever it was.

They avoided denying this player credit for playing Eddie Van Halen with passion. Gigs in Canada. If any Monkeys can handle unaccompanied Guitar - this is worth a full listen.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bummer. Even though I ended up drumming, he was one of the first musicians to really blow my mind as a grom.

If there's an afterlife, the house band must be pretty amazing. :headbang:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Recently on YouTube a few guitarists were discussing how it is that EVH just simply playing his own way, all the time, allows some things to just not be replicated by others doing Van Halen songs. Forget what it was, but it's those nano-timing changes my the picking hand which in theory speed up Tempo for a moment, but instead work in a poly-tonal type sound @ pick and, repeats at the same intervals. Was early VH whatever it was.
the van halen secret chords

What's funny is how much of it would get missed by people transcribing his songs. Shit used to drive me crazy when I was learning to play in jr high school. No one ever before or since ever sounded that unique.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
EVH was sooooooo good. Even getting on in years he never lost his chops or presence. I went to see VH with Roth a few years ago at Red Rocks, a friend treated me with a ticket. The band was good, DLR was fun, but man Eddie absolutely ran the show.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

They avoided denying this player credit for playing Eddie Van Halen with passion. Gigs in Canada. If any Monkeys can handle unaccompanied Guitar - this is worth a full listen.

Yep, I watched a few of the “what you think you heard is not what you heard” clips. Real interesting.

Too bad.

Last edited: