Quantcast

fuckin 4th tuesday thread

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Was on a site today and a dude asked if I wanted a job, don't think he was expecting such a quick and loud "NO!".
He then went on to say that I didn't even ask about the wage, hahaha!
Tomorrow I have to get warranty on a brand new alternator and pray that it isn't a misdiagnosis by me, arrrgh!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Yearly reminder that fireworks are not a necessary part of my life day.

Probably just gonna putter around the house today. Weather is supposed to be shit, what's new.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
We got 2.5" of rain since yesterday and are looking at another inch today. lmao at all of the fireworks shows getting cancelled. Of course my ride plans are cancelled today too, so now the joke's on me. I was gonna ride with Splat!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Srsly...does anyone actually enjoy fireworks? I never have, and over the years I have become even less fond of them.

Oh yeah, Happy Treason Day you ungrateful Colonials.
They are mildly entertaining, but certainly not enough to warrant the personal injuries, wildfires, disruptions to wildlife and domestic pets, the millions of tax dollars spent by municipalities...the list goes on and on.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
ugh. 80% humidity here. it's gonna feel like 104°F today. Left my towel out to dry last night. It was still wet 12 hours later (and it didn't rain).

Oldest boy starts his canoe program today. He gets to start off doing his swim test, and boat tipping test. At least he'll be in the water all day. Youngest is indoors at a gymnastics camp. I hope they both enjoy it, otherwise it's going to be a looooong week.

happy independence from parliamentary democracy day to our US cousins...

edited to add: HBD mandown! :cheers:

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
13yo wiped out running around in the rain night before last, woke up yesterday saying stomach hurt and all freaked out. so took him to the local hospital, where ultimately they said he was fine but now wife is freaked out b/c they told her they didn't want to do another ct scan because of so much radiation and he had two earlier in the month so she's been looking up studies and is worried. even though there's nothing to be done at this point and he needed both before...so i've got that going for me. otherwise, gonna 4th around and go watch the local parade and i guess watch other shoot off fireworks over the harbor tonight.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
fuck wad on the next street over lit off a few M80s at 10pm. Not like most of the folks in this neighborhood don't get up early to go to work or anything. Probably sound like WW3 here tonight.

espresso and off to work I go

Happy Birthday Mandown

View attachment 196462
How dare them on July 3rd, don’t they know this is America!!! No Time off for anyone. Just work until you die. Capitalism RULES!!!!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Well I think I need to start budgeting for new tires for the car. Was hoping that these would last until winter, but a rock might have taken out the front right.

Got the tire pressure warning light on the drive home yesterday, but the tire was fine when I stopped and checked. I measured it this morning and its down 8psi from the rest. Filled it up and will see how long that lasts.

On the tire pressure note, not having TPMS sensors to deal with is nice. Not so nice is getting that warning, but having no idea what the pressure has dropped to. Is it down 4psi, is it flat, is it a false reading?? :twitch:

ugh. 80% humidity here. it's gonna feel like 104°F today. Left my towel out to dry last night. It was still wet 12 hours later (and it didn't rain).
I did some laundry last week and had some sweatpants in there, that didn't quite finish drying. I'm pretty sure the waste band was still damp yesterday (was gone from Friday, had the AC turned off). :rofl:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
13yo wiped out running around in the rain night before last, woke up yesterday saying stomach hurt and all freaked out. so took him to the local hospital, where ultimately they said he was fine but now wife is freaked out b/c they told her they didn't want to do another ct scan because of so much radiation and he had two earlier in the month so she's been looking up studies and is worried. even though there's nothing to be done at this point and he needed both before...so i've got that going for me. otherwise, gonna 4th around and go watch the local parade and i guess watch other shoot off fireworks over the harbor tonight.
Given that he has had surgery and could get adhesions then press for a CT scan if he's symptomatic in the future. The risk from the radiation is theoretical and very low even if true (extrapolated down from atomic bomb survivors basically), and the information it provides is valuable.
On the tire pressure note, not having TPMS sensors to deal with is nice.
Does your VW work with tire circumference/rotation count then to tell when low?

HBD, @mandown . I hope you get to hang out today if that's in the cards and your plans aren't on tenterhooks, and also chill. :D

I am going to try to hop on the real bike today to go to the local playground with the family. First real ride it shall be since my meniscus repair.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
@mandown HBD!

Does your VW work with tire circumference/rotation count then to tell when low?
Yes, though the exact way they measure seems a little unknown, at least from a quick google search that I've done. Its one of these three methods:
  • tire circumference/rotation
  • magic (someone actually said this..)
  • using abs censor or something to measure drag (resistance?) on the rotating assembly

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
:wave:

Every God damned year the white trash neighbor turns the hood into downtown Fallujah and im just hoping they burn their house down.
A few years ago, we came home from the in-laws 4th of July extravaganza to find a fireball coming out of a nearby house's gas main. Seems that they may have had a leak, and an errant firework ignited it. My neighbor said the neighborhood was like a war zone that night. Fucking idiots.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
@mandown HBD!

Yes, though the exact way they measure seems a little unknown, at least from a quick google search that I've done. Its one of these three methods:
  • tire circumference/rotation
  • magic (someone actually said this..)
  • using abs censor or something to measure drag (resistance?) on the rotating assembly
That sounds similar to the wife's CRV, it uses the abs sensors. My gripe is it says that pressure is low but doesn't tell you which tire. :rofl:

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Merry Freedoms Day, Monkeys. As per family obligation, heading to the in-laws for the 4th. Father-in-law used to be a licensed pyrotechnician, so the 4th is always a big deal over there.

It's become kind of a shitshow the past few years, though. Some extended family members have been coming around lately, and bringing over a bunch of aerials against my father-in-laws wishes. I guess he didn't have the balls to put his foot down, so it continues.

aa618f8d7f41551ee991ba1e6bd1b966-3553601849.jpg

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
On the tire pressure note, not having TPMS sensors to deal with is nice. Not so nice is getting that warning, but having no idea what the pressure has dropped to. Is it down 4psi, is it flat, is it a false reading?? :twitch:
I get false readings on the tire pressure sensors all the damn time. any time there's a sudden change in weather accompanied by significant precipitation. Fresh slush is the worst. But hydro-planing sets it off too. A few weeks back I left the car half in the sun, half in the shade. The front driver side wheel got blasted by the sun. set off the alarm as we drove down a gravel road. I stopped a couple of times, checked and rechecked, before it dawned on me that it could just have been the sun on the tire. :think:

I think the tire pressure systems that don't use TPMS do it based on equal rotation of hubs? so if one hub rolls slower than the rest for whatever reason, it sets of the alarm? So annoying.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
HBD @mandown

I guess I need to put the sprinklers back together today to have some type of hedge against the idiots that live on the other side of the open space. Lots of booms last night, but less than normal. Fireworks were 2x the price of last year, so I can see why there have been less random ones going off. I got the girls sparklers and poppers, because we keep it downlow like that. Less Go 'Merica; Fuck Ya!. More 'look at the sparkly' and a reason for burgers. We will not be going to the parade. I showed Haley one of the Instagram videos of post-fireworks hand x-rays, so she now fully understands why I'm so cautious around them. I think lessons were learned by others stupidity.

Ran into a friend yesterday. Said he's been basically waiting for me to "come out of the dark", since he hasn't heard from me in months with exception of asking if I could borrow the truck to get Haley's kart. He's got all of my heavy duty carpentry tools, so he just figured that I have been buried studying. One of those funny things that you can not talk to a good friend for ages, but they're there when you need them.

Study today is Income Taxes and Retirement (acct types, rules, etc), with their corresponding tests. Hopefully I can get both done. I'm 1.5 days behind my recommended study schedule right now, but I'm only working two days this week and will be off next week, so I have time to catch-up and get ahead.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
HBD @mandown and America!!!

The meds seem to work almost too well for Abbs. She was dragging ass this morning and walkies are out of the question at night. But she is unaffected by the booms, or anything really. So they work.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Thanks for all the HBDs :rockout:

Going to visit some friends tonight, where they have a view of one of the more spectacular local disasters. The sky should be opaque with smoke shortly after sundown. We usually enjoy a combo of amazement and disbelief at the explosions. It’s quite the display of raw power, but also easy to complain about and shake our collective fists.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
…man. Slow start today. I’m glad I stopped when I did at the absinthe tasting party last night. I stuck around to watch my friends get hammered but I kept my consumption to the charcuterie board.