Quantcast

fuckin 4th tuesday thread

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Guess I’ll post this here since it’s the official July 4th thread.

Yesterday I came to an intersection with a plaque.

IMG_2300.jpeg

Got to walk on the same ground that my fifth great grandfather walked to go kick some English ass. Thanks For your service Captain Enoch Osborn.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Looking back on my teenage years, I don't know how I made it this far with all my fingers. The thought of blowing my hand apart makes me sick to my stomach now. Honestly, I should be missing stuff.

*shakes head in disgust.

Not much interest in blowing shit up anymore.

Happy 4th, fuckers!

I've got to dismantle my extendahoe and replace hoses/skid plates/digger pins and bushings.

That stuff is big and heavy. Need MOAR equipment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Shouldn't have continued the porch-drinkin' after fireworks last night. :dead:

Also: storms incoming already today.
They county just cancelled ours. People are complaining online already. What are they gonna do Mr. 'Murica? Blow up the fucking clouds and lightning?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Buddy in CA whose son is getting the GG just leveled the drivetrain on his Pitch. I went through the parts bin and found a set of SLX cranks, e.13 guide and ring, and XT cassette and brakes. We're going to Bay Area on the 15th, so I'm bringing out a bunch of stuff to rebuild the bike.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I'm sure parts of DougCo will repeat previous years and set themselves on fire while neighboring areas have already set themselves on fire.
I mean, the further south and east you go, the dumber it gets so... (And highschool scores will actually support that, sadly).

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Buddy in CA whose son is getting the GG just leveled the drivetrain on his Pitch. I went through the parts bin and found a set of SLX cranks, e.13 guide and ring, and XT cassette and brakes. We're going to Bay Area on the 15th, so I'm bringing out a bunch of stuff to rebuild the bike.
Your buddy is doing it wrong. Kid gets Pitch, dad gets new GG. :disgust1:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Anybody have an old 9sp Shimano shifter floating around? I'm having trouble finding one for him to order that isn't Aleevo spec

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Your buddy is doing it wrong. Kid gets Pitch, dad gets new GG. :disgust1:
His friend is "loaning" him his spare SC 5010. The one that's been hanging up for 2yrs since he bought a new bike. Gave him a short list of service items and an indefinite loan time period.

Basically he's seen G ride and is doing what he can to get him more time in the saddle, including getting dad riding so that he can ride with Dad when his friends aren't able to. He's 13, just started riding in spring and is already smoothly jumping relatively large dirt jumping table tops. He's not quite comfortable enough to switch over to doubles yet, but his riding says otherwise.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Test finished. Range for "good" is 60-80% and I got a 74%. Of the questions that I missed, half were "read the fucking question" mistakes, which would have put me at 87%. Taxes are my second worst topic, so this is good. I did not get to Retirement yet, so next 6hrs with a break for dinner and sparklers goes there now. I gotta say, I'm starting to feel pretty good. Finally. But I still have the Estate test...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Test finished. Range for "good" is 60-80% and I got a 74%. Of the questions that I missed, half were "read the fucking question" mistakes, which would have put me at 87%. Taxes are my second worst topic, so this is good. I did not get to Retirement yet, so next 6hrs with a break for dinner and sparklers goes there now. I gotta say, I'm starting to feel pretty good. Finally. But I still have the Estate test...
I need you to be good at the stuff that concerns me

:p

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Big thank you to @Toshi to being very generous with a couple of steaks he gifted me recently. Cooked up the first one tonight and my wife said it was one of the best meals she'd ever had.

Fairly sure our casa might get zapped by lightning momentarily as it's nuts outside right now.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Well that was an unexpected and expensive 48 hours.

AC has been acting up so I had the HVAC guys come out suspecting it just needed a recharge. I was correct, only issue is that mine is from 1988 and uses a now banned refrigerant, so just to charge and find the leak was going to cost as much as my Trail Pistol did. That would leave me with a 30 something year old condenser that drew more amperage than it should have, so I plunked down the equivalent of a Turbo Levo SL on a whole new system. Guess my first Friday off at the new gig will be spent babysitting AC guys

Short dog wasn’t breathing well so we called the vet, they sent us to the emergency vet because they have an oxygen chamber at the ER. Got her all the tests and found out she had a collapsed lung, had to have her chest tapped and the excess air bleed out. They then sent us to another emergency vet because they thought she’d need overnight monitoring, if she’d even survive the night. Not good.

She came out of the sedation at ER 2 and all was relatively well. Turns out she had a Blerb, like a little lung cyst that pops and lets air into the chest cavity and leads to a collapsed lung. Crisis averted for now, just spent all night monitoring her breathing every hour, and it steadily dropped to normal range and stayed there.

So fuck partying tonight, I’m tired and poor. Kid starts TK tomorrow and I start my new Yob. Hopefully we all get some sleep and can survive the hot house until Friday when the install happens for my new AC

I need a drink

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

AC has been acting up so I had the HVAC guys come out suspecting it just needed a recharge. I was correct, only issue is that mine is from 1988 and uses a now banned refrigerant, so just to charge and find the leak was going to cost as much as my Trail Pistol did. That would leave me with a 30 something year old condenser that drew more amperage than it should have, so I plunked down the equivalent of a Turbo Levo SL on a whole new system. Guess my first Friday off at the new gig will be spent babysitting AC guys

Short dog wasn’t breathing well so we called the vet, they sent us to the emergency vet because they have an oxygen chamber at the ER. Got her all the tests and found out she had a collapsed lung, had to have her chest tapped and the excess air bleed out. They then sent us to another emergency vet because they thought she’d need overnight monitoring, if she’d even survive the night. Not good.

She came out of the sedation at ER 2 and all was relatively well. Turns out she had a Blerb, like a little lung cyst that pops and lets air into the chest cavity and leads to a collapsed lung. Crisis averted for now, just spent all night monitoring her breathing every hour, and it steadily dropped to normal range and stayed there.

So fuck partying tonight, I’m tired and poor. Kid starts TK tomorrow and I start my new Yob. Hopefully we all get some sleep and can survive the hot house until Friday when the install happens for my new AC

I need a drink
Shit, that sucks. Go look at your electricity supplier website. They probably have some deal around HVAC replacement, so you can get some money back on that. And there are usually super low interest rate options for "environmentally efficient" projects through them too. That usually requires more digging though.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
woot I actually had my shit together and it took me less than 15 minutes to sort and load my fly fishing gear for this weekend into the camper. Waders and boots for the streams and a float tube for lake fishing if the streams are running too high.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
'tis stormy down here on the plains. Wife had to wait out zero visibility in rain and hail on the freeway a bit ago, coming back from her lightning strike-d out concert at Wash Park.

IMG_9636.jpeg

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And the booms have begun. Hannah is wide awake and can't get back to sleep. These are definitely some Wyoming fireworks down the street and across the open space. Though there was some screaming of the 'not fun' type with the last big boom from down that way and no more have gone since then. No sirens yet though, so hopefully they just scared themselves. Hopefully the rain starts again soon.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I need a drink
Shit, that sucks. Go look at your electricity supplier website. They probably have some deal around HVAC replacement, so you can get some money back on that. And there are usually super low interest rate options for "environmentally efficient" projects through them too. That usually requires more digging though.
I don't have the link on my phone, but there were big fed subsidies towards energy efficient AC...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Fireworks have started here as well, thinking about heading up to the rooftop and returning fire.

I qualify for a whole $15, better than nothing, right? The big rebates are for either a heat pump system or a smart thermostat. Heat pump is so expensive it doesn't make any financial sense and I'd have to finance it, rates are shit right now 9.99% or 1 year at 0% and 15.99% thereafter. The smart thermostat I can do whenever, but seeing as how I'm a massive net generator I don't think I want to give SCE control of my AC to save them a couple bucks.

I'm in the fortunate situation of having a pretty deep emergency fund and knowing this was coming eventually, so just gunna save myself the headache, pay cash, move on. Just an extra level of god damnit because it's right as we got home from a very un-cheap vacation, and was dealing with the pup at the same time which fortunately turned out better than anticipated

I don't have the link on my phone, but there were big fed subsidies towards energy efficient AC...
Looks like heat pump and insulation rebates, makes total sense as those are the big ways to make AC green. I could stand to upgrade all my ductwork to newer r8 insulation and larger sizing for better flow, but prior to losing freon my AC was fine, so just gunna run it. Kiddo only has 1 year left of daycare, after that we'll look at some of the bigger house projects because that monthly daycare bill is spicy.