Quantcast

*** Fucking a... ***

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Morning Monkeys.

Got the rear wheel hubs swapped out on the car yesterday. When I did it the first time, I thought "I will never have to do this again..." This is the third time in 2 years. OE bearings went 140k. Corvette guys said Timken bearings are the best. Not even 12k miles. Detroit Axle has a 10 year warranty! They lasted not even a year? Maybe 10k miles. Swapped the warranty replacements and I will get this bitch sold in 2 months. :rofl:
Timken bearings are good. But like a lot of companies, some parts are made in North America and others over seas. The quality might vary depending where its made...

Quality and life of the part can also be affected by the installer. :busted:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@StiHacka happy to do thunder with you, sorry to hear about your work foibles. Been craving some DH lately, and I think it's possible to appropriately socially distance while doing it. what is your schedule like? will inquire with the wife whether she won't have a conniption if I go...
My schedule is likely 100% unemployed soon so I shall have some time. I will need to inquire with the wife also, and will need to be moar careful than usual as job hunting with a broken face sucks.

Another trip around the sun for me. Lots of work meetings, but with any luck I'll hop on my bike later and bathe in my own bodily fluids.
HB! Today's ride will be juicy, that's a fact.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Water park trip aborted after Thing 3 puked profusely all throughout the car on the way there. It was an impressive amount!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here.

Got drywall estimate this am. If you want to watch a contractor asess his estimate real-time while on-site with you? Answer the door with Carhartt's on.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
HVAC monkeys: are there any circumstances under which a thermal expansion valve can't be replaced by itself and the whole evaporator core would need to be replaced with it?
Yes.

Ford black death would be the first situation that cones to mind.... But there are systems where the txv valve is part of the evaporator and there is not enough room to sweat/resolder a new valve into place. Those would be replaced as a whole unit

Whats are the details of the situation? Maybe I can give you a better answer...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes.

Ford black death would be the first situation that cones to mind.... But there are systems where the txv valve is part of the evaporator and there is not enough room to sweat/resolder a new valve into place. Those would be replaced as a whole unit

Whats are the details of the situation? Maybe I can give you a better answer...
does that only apply to vehicle ac or home systems as well?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Ride night. Currently 94° and feels like 102°. Not keen on riding, but have to get away from the kids. There will be a swim in the river afterwards.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Back from dentist.
Full of enough anesthesia to consider changing my name to Cliff Burton if my face doesn’t slide all they way off.

As the anesthesiologist once said, this too shall pass.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ride night. Currently 94° and feels like 102°. Not keen on riding, but have to get away from the kids. There will be a swim in the river afterwards.
We got 10km into the forest last night and aborted to go swimming. Wise decision.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A week vacation has been approved for August.

Fingers crossed that this shit doesn't do a backflip and close the border between Quebec and Ontario.....

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
HVAC monkeys: are there any circumstances under which a thermal expansion valve can't be replaced by itself and the whole evaporator core would need to be replaced with it?
TXV is a stand alone part, should be easy to sweat out. Evap coil is jacked up? There isnt really a good reason to swap out the indoor coil unless its damaged/corroded or filled with crap that can't be cleaned out. Whats the system doing? The more hvac quotes the better.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
TXV is a stand alone part, should be easy to sweat out. Evap coil is jacked up? There isnt really a good reason to swap out the indoor coil unless its damaged/corroded or filled with crap that can't be cleaned out. Whats the system doing? The more hvac quotes the better.
the coil block ices up when the delta T is too big on the thermostat. doesn't happen regularly, maybe couple times a summer tops.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Trying to do VBN and SDM, followed by MSA.

Want to do MSM but we'll save that for a weekend type trip.

Haven't been to SDM or MSA, so should be awesome to do some new stuff. The new waterfall trail at VBN looks fun...
SDM got two full days of trail now with the new Maelstrom sector.
E47 (Lac Delage) got some serious shitz also and close to SDM.

Haven't been to MSA in years. Still get mix messages from people I know who go there.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Back from dentist.
Full of enough anesthesia to consider changing my name to Cliff Burton if my face doesn’t slide all they way off.

As the anesthesiologist once said, this too shall pass.
Don’t miss a perfect opportunity to make someone uncomfortable as you attempt to eat soup in public. Or just stare at them and drool.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Most definitely. I can't wait until I have space for a drill press. I've tried freehanding enough holes with forstner bits or drilling dowel pins to value the press.
That drill press I inherited from you moving into a camper is still going strong... as are the belt sander, the night stand, the bike stands, and the snowshovel. :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Don’t miss a perfect opportunity to make someone uncomfortable as you attempt to eat soup in public. Or just stare at them and drool.
Got home. Washed my hands. My bottom lip fell open and bloody drool just started running into my sink. Soup would be amazing to see, but I’m told only cold foods. So gazpacho?

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Trying to do VBN and SDM, followed by MSA.

Want to do MSM but we'll save that for a weekend type trip.

Haven't been to SDM or MSA, so should be awesome to do some new stuff. The new waterfall trail at VBN looks fun...
were you planning on car/van camping there? VBN and SDM just announced they were forbidding parking lot camping as of today.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Effing woodchuck moved in my yard today. Cat litter has been deployed, it worked wonders the last time.
In other news, my job is indeed gone, at least my hiring boss feels bad about it and will provide reference and shit. Mostly shit though.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
were you planning on car/van camping there? VBN and SDM just announced they were forbidding parking lot camping as of today.
We dont have the luxury of a van, only a pickup. :D

Probably just going to try to get a cabin or camp at VBN. Just drive over to SDM for the day.

And a chalet or air bnb of some sort at MSA. There are 4 of us going so shouldn't be too bad.