Quantcast

fuckng turdsday gfmt.....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
If the battery's at end of life, the tender won't do anything but provide a surface charge.
Truth. I definitely need a new battery. Since I was unable to drop Baby Aya off at preschool I'm thus stuck at the house (instead of running off to Walmart to buy a battery and stick it in my pannier on the e-bike).

AAA dispatched a tow truck driver at first who only had a jump starter, even though they nominally offer a come-to-you battery replacement service. So I called them to initiate a second service call, explicitly to get a battery… and they dispatched a tow truck driver who only has a jump starter.

At least this second guy read the notes and called me, and he's going to try to call his dispatcher directly to get someone out to me with an actual battery. As that's what I need.

/coolstorybro

(and I'm WFH from 1-5 pm today before a little moonlighting so this works out fine with my life otherwise. just would like to get this sorted and all!)

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm in.

But it's too far away.

edit: I love spending ages poring over maps and slowly putting a route together. Had one that wife and I tried a few years ago where the old jeep road over a mountain just didn't exist anymore and we were bushwacking for a while before pulling the eject handle and turning around. I want to try that one again, but need to start much earlier so we have time to carry on bushwacking until we find the road/trail the other side of the mountain.
There’s a plane crash site hidden along one of the ridge lines where I train for hiking. No trail to it but there is a plaque commemorating the crash. I have a rough Idea where and want to hunt for it. But there will be some considerable bushwhacking envolved. So no thru hiking pack, just my Raptor 14.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Just got a foot of snow in the last 24 hours. my back finally feels better, well enough to get out for my thursday night outing with my buddies. the skiing will be spectacular. except I seem to be coming down with some sort of cold, so I will sit this one out to make sure I can make it to the boys getaway escape this weekend (otherwise known as SausageFest2023). ugh. brought my oldest to the orthodontist this morning, who now wants an extra $6800 from us for further improvements... (we're not sure caus' nothing's misaligned, it's mostly cosmetic.) Got an email from the Principal of my youngest's school saying he was caught dry-humping a class mate in the schoolyard. He's 10ffs, where the eff did this come from?! gonna have to have a serious talk about inappropriate touching, consent, respect, AND WHERE THE EFF DO YOU GET OFF THINKING THATS OK?!!?! today has not been a good day.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sure you didn't just misplace your rubber dong?
nah, his is only 12", i hear

but i guess with some encrustment over the years and a little pinkbike reckoning... ok, checks out

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
There’s a plane crash site hidden along one of the ridge lines where I train for hiking. No trail to it but there is a plaque commemorating the crash. I have a rough Idea where and want to hunt for it. But there will be some considerable bushwhacking envolved. So no thru hiking pack, just my Raptor 14.
i'm sure many people have bushwhacked to that if it's the one i'm thinking of...

woke up with headache; powered through the day. headed to memphis tomorrow.

@slyfink - we got the email from school about our 12yo the other week...caught vaping. what a little shit. we made him write an essay with at least 5 sources on why it's trbl. i would have given pushups but he loves those so it's not punishment.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Well I woke up and went skiing. Then came back and went skiing again. Now relaxing after disposal of unneeded and misplaced snow.
Forgot... made a batch of spaghetti sauce.
I'm gonna call this a day.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Did you replace a turbo or put a turbo on an engine that old?

If the latter, you should have told us so we could grab the :popcorn:
Replaced the turbo, but I suggested a Rebuilt one over an off brand new one.
It's two months out of warranty and the people it came from no longer do Rebuilt turbos, maybe they were shit at it.
But it is probably another issue that caused the turbo to die.

I woke up with a Maroon 5 song stuck in my head, today will be a shit day.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Getting Haley's kart back tomorrow. Dyno came back a 9.5hp. It was 6.5 with a fried clutch. Shop owner said she'll likely be putting down an adtl 50% more power than before, in addition to fitting better and being more comfortable. :popcorn:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i'm sure many people have bushwhacked to that if it's the one i'm thinking of...

woke up with headache; powered through the day. headed to memphis tomorrow.

@slyfink - we got the email from school about our 12yo the other week...caught vaping. what a little shit. we made him write an essay with at least 5 sources on why it's trbl. i would have given pushups but he loves those so it's not punishment.
make him vape till he barfs.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Getting Haley's kart back tomorrow. Dyno came back a 9.5hp. It was 6.5 with a fried clutch. Shop owner said she'll likely be putting down an adtl 50% more power than before, in addition to fitting better and being more comfortable. :popcorn:
RIP those track records

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
I woke up with a Maroon 5 song stuck in my head, today will be a shit day.
I'm not exactly sure what this means, but I suspect it's some horrific fuckin' SHIT. :fie:

Tell her pro-tip from moi: Don't crash.

Damn I guess I'm never off duty. Hanging out with Ruth at the showgrounds and someone comes up and says we need you. Someone dislocated their shoulder. Put them in a sling and sent them to the hospital.
Boundaries, man. If you don't tell them you're off-duty, and you take care of shit like this, they'll just keep up with that shit. I mean - where's the dude/dudette getting paid to do that shit??

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Boundaries, man. If you don't tell them you're off-duty, and you take care of shit like this, they'll just keep up with that shit. I mean - where's the dude/dudette getting paid to do that shit?
that's the thing about being an emergency responder, you might be off the clock, but you're never off duty.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Truth. I definitely need a new battery. Since I was unable to drop Baby Aya off at preschool I'm thus stuck at the house (instead of running off to Walmart to buy a battery and stick it in my pannier on the e-bike).

AAA dispatched a tow truck driver at first who only had a jump starter, even though they nominally offer a come-to-you battery replacement service. So I called them to initiate a second service call, explicitly to get a battery… and they dispatched a tow truck driver who only has a jump starter.

At least this second guy read the notes and called me, and he's going to try to call his dispatcher directly to get someone out to me with an actual battery. As that's what I need.

/coolstorybro

(and I'm WFH from 1-5 pm today before a little moonlighting so this works out fine with my life otherwise. just would like to get this sorted and all!)
After all that my battery, alternator, and starter all tested out fine on AAA person 3’s testing black box setup. Go figure. Still wouldn’t start without a jump box.

So I let it idle (locked with second key) outside for more than an hour, put it on the battery tender, and ordered one of these since I can’t find my jump box. Here before 8 am!

8877ED46-A513-4EC5-89F0-EDB175581F81.jpeg

Last edited:
After all that my battery, alternator, and starter all tested out fine on AAA person 3’s testing black box setup. Go figure. Still wouldn’t start without a jump box.

So I let it idle (locked with second key) outside for more than an hour, put it on the battery tender, and ordered one of these since I can’t find my jump box. Here before 8 am!

View attachment 188369
Quit screwing around and replace the battery.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
'tis my beautiful Land Cruiser with the dead 12V
Have you checked the voltage at the posts when cranking? I have seen a few batteries that have been okay but have had connection issues, loose starter, terminal treatment spray acting as an insulator, snapped earth cable from the engine, dodgy alternator etc etc.
I have seen a 10V drop across a terminal with a new battery because somebody flipped the lug at the battery clamp and put it on paint side down.

But, it probably is the battery.

EDIT, I'm an idiot, just saw the follow up post.

Last edited:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Quit screwing around and replace the battery.
Started up totally normally this morning, and again after gassing up on the way to work.

But yes, going to swing by the local auto parts store and have them test it/likely replace it with an Optima Red Top.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Started up totally normally this morning, and again after gassing up on the way to work.

But yes, going to swing by the local auto parts store and have them test it/likely replace it with an Optima Red Top.
Fun story about Optima Red Tops… they are apparently really susceptible to the cold, and even a low voltage draw will drain them after a few days if you don’t drive the vehicle enough.

Note that last bit. I had an Optima Red Top in my truck when I first moved to Salida two winters ago. Damn thing would need a jump on the regular, battery had enough charge to turn on lights and run the radio or heater, but wouldn’t start the vehicle. A friend of mine had a similar issue years prior, researched it, and figured it out. Something to do with the gel technology? Not exactly sure. But I dropped a Napa battery in there a year and a half ago and haven’t had a problem since. The Optima sits in the garage, I had it tested and it’s perfectly fine. I just don’t drive the truck often or far enough to keep a charge in it.

Also of note: Salida doesn’t get super cold, probably similar temps as Golden or Denver. Our winters are reasonably mild temp wise, it ain’t Gunnison. But even consistent days of 20-30° would do it.

YMMV

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Fun story about Optima Red Tops… they are apparently really susceptible to the cold, and even a low voltage draw will drain them after a few days if you don’t drive the vehicle enough.

Note that last bit. I had an Optima Red Top in my truck when I first moved to Salida two winters ago. Damn thing would need a jump on the regular, battery had enough charge to turn on lights and run the radio or heater, but wouldn’t start the vehicle. A friend of mine had a similar issue years prior, researched it, and figured it out. Something to do with the gel technology? Not exactly sure. But I dropped a Napa battery in there a year and a half ago and haven’t had a problem since. The Optima sits in the garage, I had it tested and it’s perfectly fine. I just don’t drive the truck often or far enough to keep a charge in it.

Also of note: Salida doesn’t get super cold, probably similar temps as Golden or Denver. Our winters are reasonably mild temp wise, it ain’t Gunnison. But even consistent days of 20-30° would do it.

YMMV
this is useful!

ok, I will either keep the battery if it tests fine or get a non-fancy battery and save $80 if it tests anything less than fine

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
this is useful!

ok, I will either keep the battery if it tests fine or get a non-fancy battery and save $80 if it tests anything less than fine
Sometimes I’m helpful. Don’t get used to it.

To be fair, the issues with those batteries in the cold might not apply to you. Isn’t your Land Cruiser kept in the garage? And you probably drive it more regularly then I drive.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sometimes I’m helpful. Don’t get used to it.

To be fair, the issues with those batteries in the cold might not apply to you. Isn’t your Land Cruiser kept in the garage? And you probably drive it more regularly then I drive.
Yeah, garaged. But I can go a week+ easy without driving it depending on my schedule and the e-biking suitability of the weather.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
trickle charger...?
Yeah, usually on a Battery Tender Jr. if I remember to plug it in. Wasn't recently since I forgot to unplug it once (whoops) and broke the cord in the middle of it. Got a replacement cord but had neglected to plug it in, so it was ~1 wk not on the tender and not driven.