Quantcast

Fuel 80- is the 05 worth waiting for?

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
In the next couple of days I'm in hopes of buying my 1st FS bike. I've narrowed it down to the 2004 Trek Fuel 80.
But then the 05 Trek 80 looks very tempting.

I like the Rockshock on the 04 and price of $1200.00.
But the dics brakes & the Matte Metallic Charcoal paint on the 05 would really be nice, but then the cost of it jumps up too $1430.00

Any suggestions?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If you want disk brakes wait for the '05, they are a very expensive upgrade. If you don't care much about disks get the '04 and git ridin'.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Wait, Wait, I never had the chance to love you.

I have a 03 Epic S-works without disk, now I am looking at a grand to get them. Wait

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
If that 04 doesn't have a disc mount on the frame - stay away from it. I know a lot of the Fuels didn't even have disc mounts.

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
Thanks y'all!!
I guess I'll check with my LBS and find out how soon a 2005 Fuel 80 would be avaliable.
But if I get impateint, I can always do like Westy sugessted "get the '04 and git ridin'." :D

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Ridemonkey said:
If that 04 doesn't have a disc mount on the frame - stay away from it. I know a lot of the Fuels didn't even have disc mounts.

The Fuels that don't come with discs don't HAVE the mount, but it can be purchased. It bolts onto the rear. It's an idea that saves a little weight then running V's, but adds some when you have discs :rolleyes:

The '05 Fuel 100 will be either V- or disc specific rear triangles.

Fuelfan

Chimp
Jul 9, 2004
definately wait. i just upgraded to discs on my 90 and i can't imagine going back to v's for what i do with my bike. i feel much more in control at all times and plust they just look cool. i can't believe how much the bikes are going up for next year.

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
The big determing factor on which bike I get is my bonous for this quarter. I heard through a coworker, that it's not as much as we had hoped for.
I was hoping it would be enough to buy the 05 & still have some money left over.
But it sounds that after taxes, it might be just enough to cover the cost of the 04. I should know the amount of the bonous by this weekend.
Seriously, thanks for all of y'alls advise & tips!!!

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
genpowell71 said:
Asking if it comes with mounts for disc brakes is going to save you about 500 bucks after all is said and done. Besides, in this day and age, I'd go with a VPP (santa cruz superlight) if your looking to keep it cheap. A good one of those can go for about 1750 if you look for it...

Do you mean a Blur? :think:

derrick

Chimp
Nov 16, 2003
North East Mississippi
Today over the phone, I just bought a 04 Trek Fuel 70 for $700 from the LBS. I know it's less of a bike as compared to the Fuel 80s.
But I hope that for that price I can upgrade as time goes by.
After Taxes, my bonus payed for it, with just a little cash to spare.
Don't hate me for it! :eek: