Quantcast

Fuglsang fourth in wet and cold Lombardia fight

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Dane Jakob Fuglsang ended his season with a wet and cold fight through the hills of Northern Italy at Giro di Lombardia. He finished just off the podium, in fourth place, without an answer to the dominate repeat winner, Belgian Philippe Gilbert.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am pretty happy," he said on the lakeside in Como as the rain continued.</p><p>
</p><p>
"In the end, I was still there and able to try to be part of the race's final outcome. However, I could not keep up with the guys on the descent, especially when Gilbert went. I knew that Gilbert was going to go fast on the descent, both him and Vincenzo Nibali – everyone knows that they are some of the fastest guys on the descents."</p><p>
</p><p>
Saxo Bank's Fuglsang was part of a select group that led the race after 200 kilometres and the iconic Ghisallo climb up from Bellagio. However, on the race's newly re-introduced climb of Colma di Sormano, his chances at victory slipped away.</p><p>
</p><p>
Gilbert (OmegaPharma) led a charge over the top of Sormano and created a small group of four riders with Spain's Pablo Lastras (Caisse d'Epargne) and Italians Michele Scarponi (Androni) and Vincenzo Nibali (Liquigas). Fuglsang did not crash as Nibali did on the wet switchbacks, but he was not comfortable.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I think I had a little too much air in the rear tyre," said Fuglsang. "It had slipped a couple of times already and so I as somewhat scared to go hard."</p><p>
</p><p>
By Como, Gilbert and Scarponi had ridden free of their rivals and established a one-minute advantage ahead of Fuglsang. He tried to use the climb up San Fermo della Battaglia to close down the duo's advantage, but it was too much.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I gave it everything on the final climb, up San Fermo, to see if we could catch up. I had a good race anyway, but it would have been nice to be there on the podium, but Lastras got away."</p><p>
</p><p>
Danish team manager, Bjarne Riis agreed with Fuglsang.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It was a really exciting race where we controlled the pace preparing the scene for Jakob," said Riis.</p><p>
</p><p>
"He delivered a strong performance as the most aggressive in the chase group and he kept fighting all the way to the finish line. However, there is no doubt that Gilbert was untouchable today."</p><p>
</p><p>
Fuglsang end his season by heading off in search of a warm shower and dry clothes.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I am happy with the season and the way it has ended."</p><p>
</p><p>
He ends with a win in the Tour of Denmark and at the national time trial championship, a third place at the Tour de Suisse and having play a part in Andy Schleck's second place at the Tour de France.</p>

More...