Quantcast

FUGLY Bike of the Year!

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Well, here it is in all it's ugliness :monkeydance:

Built from a pile of used and parts-bin parts. I have a new front ring and rear cog as well as a slightly longer stem planned. It will also get the wheels off the Sultan as it's I9's are done.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
pffffffffft, I was expecting to see one of the new EWRs! That is sweet...and you won't get shot riding it!

Feb 1, 2008
mavisdale,va
Looks pretty damned good to my eyes. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder?
(now i haven't drunk anything harder than rootbeer since my 11 year old was born-and i don't miss it,but) i always heard it said "...eye of the beer-holder":weee:

ssinga,there's nothing fugly about that jabber...she's a thing of beauty:cupidarrow:!!!

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
beerholder is correct in this case. It'll probably get a DIY paint job this winter. Next to the Sultan it is ugly but the ride is good.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Camera angle or is it that slack?

100mm Reba?
:biggrin::biggrin: It has the Pike U-turn mod on it and will go up to 130ish (5") but tops out on rebound like a mother! I have it wound down a few turns. It has just a little less than 4.25" of exposed stanchion. After it is sagged it rides perfectly. Vassago nailed the geometry.

It was sitting slightly uphill when the pic was shot too.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Damn, looks like a case of herpes I once had to defend.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
:biggrin::biggrin: It has the Pike U-turn mod on it and will go up to 130ish (5") but tops out on rebound like a mother! I have it wound down a few turns. It has just a little less than 4.25" of exposed stanchion. After it is sagged it rides perfectly. Vassago nailed the geometry.

It was sitting slightly uphill when the pic was shot too.
Is it a 2009 fork?

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
Just wondering as VAssago seems to not recommend the forks with the old offset for their frames. Especially with that much travel.

But it is how it rides once installed that matters most right!?

Rides fine to me. Maybe because I have only owned slack geometry suspension bikes for the last 9 years.

ssinga

Chimp
Jan 23, 2006
Huntsville, AL
yeah - I hear ya there!

Getting a new Sultan by any chance or sticking with what you've already got?

Cheers,
Mark

I'm going to stick with the pink TNT version for a while. Maybe consider a change late in 2010. The fork choices just aren't that great so I'll wait it out and see what 2009 brings before jumping to the new Sultan with even more travel.