Quantcast

fugna

A couple of years ago, after an epic battle with our local development review board about a setback variance, we built a little greenhouse (8' x 12').

Flashback to 1976 - we buy the house from a local n'eer-do-well. According to the seller, it has a 1,000 gallon steel septic tank. Over the years, I have evolved the suspicion that a car body's about a thousand gallons in volume...

Early this afternoon: Hilarie comes home with a parsley plant, puts in in the greenhouse, nothing odd going on.

Early this evening: I'm reading a newspaper, Hilarie comes in and tells me that there's a sink hole in the greenhouse. I go out and one of the two benches in the greenhouse is canted at a pretty good angle, and there's a sewage filled pit with soil and gravel from the greenhouse floor still cascading into it. I reef the bench outside so as not to lose it, call the contractor who has worked with us for years and built the greenhouse. He just about splits a gut laughing. We decide that I need to call the local sh1t system wizard, who's supposed to survey the destruction tomorrow.

The saga begins, like I had nothing else to do... :rant:

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
As much as I miss living in the boonies, there are upsides to living in a more developed area. Sewer is one of them. I can vividly recall the septic backing up in my childhood home and my dads reaction. My dad was a pretty mellow guy, and I'm pretty sure it was this first time I heard him swear.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
As much as I miss living in the boonies, there are upsides to living in a more developed area. Sewer is one of them. I can vividly recall the septic backing up in my childhood home and my dads reaction. My dad was a pretty mellow guy, and I'm pretty sure it was this first time I heard him swear.
Sounds like we come from quite different environments.