Quantcast

Full face helmet for Enduro and DH??

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I had all my riding gear was stolen a while ago. I already replaced my TLD A2 with a Smith helmet (which is okay), but I also need to replace my TLD D3. Is there an Enduro-type helmet that can double as a full face helmet for Whistler bike park days?? Can most do that or is there a level of protection only the true, dedicate DH lids can offer?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Agreed with the above. I've got a Smith Mainline, and it's really nice for what it is, but it's not a real DH helmet. I still own a D3 as well.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
why is a Downhill ASTM F1952 certified helmet not a real downhill helmet?
Just because it meets the standard doesn't mean it's as burly and protective as heavier, true DH options. Meeting the testing standard doesn't mean they're all created equal, it just means they crossed a threshold. Helmet A can far exceed the requirements while helmet B just scrapes over.

The Mainline feels much more substantial than, say, that shit that @kidwoo just posted. It doesn't feel like a (much heavier) DH helmet.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Love my D3.
Not seen a D4 in person yet, but from the pics :nope:

As one who has a TBI due to having my mellon rattled, you DO NOT want to play around with this. Stay with a proper full coverage full face. I break out into a prolific sweat just looking at a picture of the sun and am slightly asthmatic (childhood asthma that didn't totally go away), so really really understand the want for added ventilation...

Just Don't Do It.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Agree with all the others here on not compromising safety for breathability. I had a pretty scary crash up at Whistler a couple of years ago in a brand-spankin-new 100% Aircraft. Riding in a full-on downpour and lost my front end suddenly while going about 15-20mph just before the rock step down into the gully to step up on A-Line. Got chucked full superman without my bike over the step down, cracked my head on the rock on the way down, and did a flip to my back. All in all, free-fell about 8-10 feet down, 20 feet out before I stopped.

I had a shard of rock stabbed into the carbon of the helmet just above where it meets the visor. I'll admit it was a bit of a freak accident, but if the helmet had been one of the more breathable enduro crossovers, there's a good chance that rock shard would have been headed into my skull. Instead, I was able to pop up and walk away from the entire event, albeit with a $450 helmet that went from new to smoked in just 2 runs down the mountain. It did its job, though, and I bought another (at 50% off crash replacement)

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Ahh ok. Thanks for the info...wasn't sure if protection standards had crossed over from enduro to full DH helmets.

I find the TLD helmets more boring now. They used to have cool graphics. I loved my Finish Line D3.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
I've been rocking the Smith Mainline this spring/ summer prior to it dropping. Much more comfortable and lighter / airy than my D3 or D4 (and have always been a TLD whore). Good enough to trail ride in it as long as its not 1,000 degrees here in the Boise desert.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I am on my second fox rampage pro, first one got stolen at the bmx track.

Fit was paramount for me, I wear xs~s and nothing else came close to fitting my micro melon as well.

ymmv

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Felt pretty unprotected doing park laps with an Enduro helmet the only time I tried. Its worth running a proper DH helmet, even a cheaper one just for the security - and more importantly - aesthetics they provide.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
No love for the TLD Stage with MIPS that has all the impossibru safety certifications?
I bought one heavily discounted and would have ridden park in it if it wasn't for covid this summer.
My regular DH helmet is the Full-9.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Felt pretty unprotected doing park laps with an Enduro helmet the only time I tried. Its worth running a proper DH helmet, even a cheaper one just for the security - and more importantly - aesthetics they provide.
just feelings or can you also prove that? i have a hard time following all these arguments. why should helmets not getting lighter in time as everything else does?

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
No love for the TLD Stage with MIPS that has all the impossibru safety certifications?
I bought one heavily discounted and would have ridden park in it if it wasn't for covid this summer.
My regular DH helmet is the Full-9.
I have a Stage that I wear when riding in Pisgah and I love it. Incredibly light and comfortable but still a compromise compared to a DH helmet in terms of protection. I wear it in the mountains cause I'm not gonna ride 30 miles wearing a DH helmet but am perfectly comfortable in the Stage. Its obviously way better than an open face lid if/when I make a big boo boo at speed. I still run a full DH helmet when I'm in the park cause its more protection and the is no downside to a heavier helmet in that situation.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
just feelings or can you also prove that? i have a hard time following all these arguments. why should helmets not getting lighter in time as everything else does?
What do you mean? Of course just a feeling. I didn't run lab tests....

I meant they're just more open, more breezy and have a less robust feel to them than the D3 I use for DH. They'd possibly do a better job in a crash than my ageing D3, but from a purely confidence inspiring approach, the silent/muted confidence that the DH helmet gives you is appreciable.

Also, although I haven't tried the MIPS D4 or any MIPS DH helmet, nearly every MIPS Enduro helmet I've ever tried either rattles or creaks. My D3 is silent and I prefer that. Anyone know if the new MIPS helmets make much noise?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I have a Stage that I wear when riding in Pisgah and I love it.
I haven't tried the Stage - how ventilated is it really? Like would you climb or do a liason in it happily? I've got a Super DH and I have to take the chinbar off for climbs even on cooler days as it makes me feel like an asthmatic trying to breathe through the relatively closed chinbar.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What do you mean? Of course just a feeling. I didn't run lab tests....

I meant they're just more open, more breezy and have a less robust feel to them than the D3 I use for DH. They'd possibly do a better job in a crash than my ageing D3, but from a purely confidence inspiring approach, the silent/muted confidence that the DH helmet gives you is appreciable.

Also, although I haven't tried the MIPS D4 or any MIPS DH helmet, nearly every MIPS Enduro helmet I've ever tried either rattles or creaks. My D3 is silent and I prefer that. Anyone know if the new MIPS helmets make much noise?
D4 MIPS seems to be about average for MIPS noise, which is to say that there is some.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I haven't tried the Stage - how ventilated is it really? Like would you climb or do a liason in it happily? I've got a Super DH and I have to take the chinbar off for climbs even on cooler days as it makes me feel like an asthmatic trying to breathe through the relatively closed chinbar.
I've got a Stage and take it off to pedal here in NorCal. The only time I leave it on while pedaling is when it's early morning or night time winter rides. I mean, it breathes better than something like a Bell Super, or even a Smith Forefront, but it's warmer than my Fox Speedframe, and it's so easy to hang it off the handlebars while grinding up a fire road I'm not going to suffer it.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I've got a Stage and take it off to pedal here in NorCal. The only time I leave it on while pedaling is when it's early morning or night time winter rides. I mean, it breathes better than something like a Bell Super, or even a Smith Forefront, but it's warmer than my Fox Speedframe, and it's so easy to hang it off the handlebars while grinding up a fire road I'm not going to suffer it.
Unfortunately, our state enduro series requires competitors to wear a helmet anytime they're on the bike, although full face is only required for the stages. It was 36ºC and 95% RH at the last race, which makes climbing in a full face a silly idea IMO

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unfortunately, our state enduro series requires competitors to wear a helmet anytime they're on the bike, although full face is only required for the stages. It was 36ºC and 95% RH at the last race, which makes climbing in a full face a silly idea IMO
Your fault for racing enduro really. You could be sitting helmetless on a chairlift for the way up. Just sayin...

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
I can ride with it on certainly on cool days and honestly I've been super impressed by how well ventilated it is. I'm never just dying to take it off when riding. I also wear it riding some of our bigger jump lines in the summer and can leave it on no problem. It can certainly be warmer than a regular helmet but there is no mesh or significant obstruction in front of your mouth so breathing feels very free to me. I have a buddy with a Super DH and another with a switchblade and my feeling is that the stage feels a notch better. That said, when I'm grinding up a gravel road for 3-4 miles, if it's hot I take it off and lash it on my pack.

Bottom line, I think it's great in terms of not suffocating you, and is much more open and ventilated feeling than any DH helmet, but it still gets hotter than a half shell.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Same rule here. And most transitions are dull fire road climbs I'd never wear a helmet to ride up. At least its usually cold and wet here tho.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Same rule here. And most transitions are dull fire road climbs I'd never wear a helmet to ride up. At least its usually cold and wet here tho.
I've done a couple of multi day enduros around the world that don't follow stupid rules like that. You can do the liasons in a sombrero if you want to. Makes the day a lot more bearable, especially if you want to alternate climbing between pedalling and pushing. Makes it more like a day out riding with friends than a race.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I wouldn't travel to my local woods to do an Enduro nevermind half way around the world.
EWS has the same rule

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I have both Stage and D3 and ride them in the UAE, which is quite a warm area. Obviosly one's body get's adjusted to the heat (on the long run), still on hotter parts of the year I run the Stage and in terms of ventillation it is almost like a half shell helmet. When it comes to competition I always run the D3 though as the terrain is generally rocky and edgy, so much so that failure mode of tires is cutting, with plenty of tread life left. When wearing the Stage I never feel as safe or relaxed though, but well it's a tradeoff.

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I have the super DH. I find it bearable to ride in without the chin bar, but its hot and hard to drink in. My wife's stage is awesome. Easy to drink in and lighter. Not sure if I'd do high speed park stuff in to though.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I just lash the chin-bar somewhere, usually to my pack. I use the Super DH chin-bar function when I'm doing legit DH stuff where I armor up, but am still self-powered and riding up. It's actually pretty tight when I use it like that, but not so tight it hurts. I'd never consider riding up in that or a solid full-face. I use the solid full-face helmet for park days, shuttle days, etc. The Super DH is my main helmet in the summer, I run it sans chin-bar most of the time. Found a deal on the previous year at the bike shop and snatched it up.

jezso

Chimp
Dec 31, 2010
Dubai, UAE
:stupid:

@jezso tell me more about riding in the UAE. I scrolled through your posts, but pls share more.
Trying not to spoil the topic so suggest checking my profile here, with some photos and video: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/jezso/
Since these wont do much justice, in general the terrain is like Mordor, without the darkness. :D
Always dry and dusty, rock with sharp edges everywhere. Downhills are short and not too steep, plent of opportunity to pedal, so when back to Europe I literally die on the steeps. Different challenges for sure, the heat and humidity can be quite a killer.

Last edited: