Quantcast

Full face helmet for Enduro and DH??

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Trying not to spoil the topic so suggest checking my profile here, with some photos and video: https://www.pinkbike.com/u/jezso/
Since these wont do much justice, in general the terrain is like Mordor, without the darkness. :D
Always dry and dusty, rock with sharp edges everywhere. Downhills are short and not too steep, plent of opportunity to pedal, so when back to Europe I literally die on the steeps. Different challenges for sure, the heat and humidity can be quite a killer.
Love the custom helmet! :clapping:

Are there mountains there where you can get away from the heat? Looks like an really cool place to ride, but I'm a delicate flower and wilt in the heat. :D

Cerberus75

Monkey
Feb 18, 2017
I just lash the chin-bar somewhere, usually to my pack. I use the Super DH chin-bar function when I'm doing legit DH stuff where I armor up, but am still self-powered and riding up. It's actually pretty tight when I use it like that, but not so tight it hurts. I'd never consider riding up in that or a solid full-face. I use the solid full-face helmet for park days, shuttle days, etc. The Super DH is my main helmet in the summer, I run it sans chin-bar most of the time. Found a deal on the previous year at the bike shop and snatched it up.
I keep my chin bar strapped to by pack as well. Put it on when I do a high consequence DH. The Stage is great for my wife, she's just starting to ride technical DH and trying new things. Its a good enduro helmet. And good for someone learning, it definitely helps with my wife's confidence. She rode a lot in Pisgah. Had an OTB that would have put the rest of the trip in Dupont last year or worse, Her and the helmet held up fine.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just lash the chin-bar somewhere, usually to my pack. I use the Super DH chin-bar function when I'm doing legit DH stuff where I armor up, but am still self-powered and riding up. It's actually pretty tight when I use it like that, but not so tight it hurts. I'd never consider riding up in that or a solid full-face. I use the solid full-face helmet for park days, shuttle days, etc. The Super DH is my main helmet in the summer, I run it sans chin-bar most of the time. Found a deal on the previous year at the bike shop and snatched it up.
Same. I really like my Super DH without the chinbar as a trail helmet. It's nice and sturdy and breathes well. I've got a Fox Speedframe for XC use and the Super DH probably has better ventilation. Plus the magnetic latch is awesome.

When I did Trans BC a couple of years ago I ran the Bell 3R which was dorky looking and not nearly as nice as the Super DH in terms of comfort. The liasons there were too long to attempt in a full face, and actually technical enough that at least some of the time I wasn't keen on riding no helmet or in a hat. The removable chinbar helmets are ideal for those days where you might ride for 5 hours and do four 15 - 20 minute stages.

Speaking about detachable chin bars, anyone here with experience regarding the Giro Switchblade?
I've never had one, but a couple of mates do. They're pretty solid option even without the chinbar on and provide better coverage of the ears and temples. They're a bit warm even in the open face config, so depends where you live I guess. I haven't tried, but I'd guess that helmet suits removing and re-installing the chin bar without taking off the helmet a lot better than the Super DH. Because the chinbar is so small once removed, it can more easily tuck into a back pocket or through a waist strap than the Bell Super DH chin bar. One of my mates actually uses a velcro strap to carry it on the handlebar or frame for liasons.

MrBaker87

Monkey
Mar 30, 2014
neverlandranch
I bought the Switchblade right when it came out. Was stoked to use it for some of the gnarlier trails we have in the PNW that you have to climb up to.

I never ever use it.

It’s hot in open face mode. It has a dial and a chin strap. The chin strap is thick and hot as well. It doesn’t work with long hair and it doesn’t work with headphones well.

Half the time, I ended up with it hanging off my bars on the climb. I’d rather use a proper DH helmet if that’s going to be the case.

If I were to do it again, I would purchase the Bell Super DH instead. It’s still rated highly, but offers more breath ability for climbing, easy trails, etc.

Get a cheap Bell DH helmet and an enduro full face if you really need to be lightweight. But don’t compromise your face at a bike park or doing shuttles.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Buddy up here in AK, generally great rider, usually 1 or 2 on all DH times:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
so he broke all these things because he was wearing an enduro helmet?
He smashed the helmet pretty badly. Frame cracked all the way through. It won't keep you from having a problem, but it's something to think about if you are going to go DH with a less-than-DH helmet.