Quantcast

Full face helmet survey

When wearing a Full face helmet do you tighten the chin strap or leave it loose for easier removal

• I snug it up every run

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • I leave it loose enough so I can just pull the strap forward and remove it without undoing the d-rng

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • I undo/redo the d-rings every run

Votes: 18 46.2%
  • I prefer the snap closure or fidlock like my XC/enduro/road helmet

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Looking for a new helmet, I noticed EVERY DH helmet is now D-ring closures. But while riding over the years I've noticed that anyone that has D-rings just pulls them forward and removes/puts on the helmet. Just curious I guess

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
On my Bell... I can loosen the D-rings enough to pull the helmet off. I do snug it down before every run down the hill though. I have witnessed a non-tighened FF helmet come off during a crash that required the rider to be air lifted out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fun fact, the d-rings are designed to cut the strap at a force level a little less than it takes to remove your head from your spine. Not much point in wearing a helmet if you can't be bothered to snug it up, probably better off with an enduro lid with a proper length strap and a fidlock.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I undo and redo the d rings every run. I think most of my riding buddies to as well. I witnessed a buddy get clothlined by some nylon rope running along a fireroad at our local bike park. His helmet wasn't tight so as he got yoinked off of his bike and thrown backwards, his helmet also got pulled off by the rope and he slammed his bare head on the ground when he hit. Do not want.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
I voted for the snap option because I have both a Fox Proframe RS (with Fidlock) and a Giro Insurgent (D-ring), but I wear the RS almost every time I ebike. It breathes well enough that coupled with the reduced work for it, I don't really have a good reason not to be wearing it. I've tried riding the Insurgent on the ebike, and don't like the hassle of dealing with the D-ring to take a drink of water, as well as not being able to hear as well. So I only wear the Insurgent the rare times I go to the bike park. I've got some shuttle trips planned for this summer, and I'll probably take the Proframe for those also. That said, I keep the chin strap on both of them snug-ish when I'm descending (basically just loose enough that I can talk without it cutting into my neck).

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Love the tld strap lock it's the same as the 100% ...super easy and non confined feeling...
but in a crash I learned years ago In MX and DH Having it strapped as securely as possible is always the best option...2 finger rule under chin and strap but can't come past chin...

Ive destroyed helmets from shattering the tops and sides to ripping jaws off them....but I have yet to have one go flying........

Yes I ride without a helmet a fair bit local jumps and airbag some drops, but when I wear one I strap it down...why wear it if you don't wear it right.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Love the tld strap lock it's the same as the 100% ...super easy and non confined feeling...
but in a crash I learned years ago In MX and DH Having it strapped as securely as possible is always the best option...2 finger rule under chin and strap but can't come past chin...

Ive destroyed helmets from shattering the tops and sides to ripping jaws off them....but I have yet to have one go flying........

Yes I ride without a helmet a fair bit local jumps and airbag some drops, but when I wear one I strap it down...why wear it if you don't wear it right.

1718049054647.png

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
.2 finger rule under chin and strap but can't come past chin...
My FF helmets are 2 old D2s and 2 fingers under the chin through the strap is exactly the point where its loose/tight enough that the strap CAN just be slipped over my chin. Needs a good pull down on it and the helmet rotated slightly and it'll just slip over my chin. meaning I can remove it quickly without messing with the D rings. I run both like this and have done for 20+ years. Strap done up. Like that also always passed any commissaire inspection at races. Including by UCI provided officials.
I'm not really worried about some sort of incredibly unlikely freak accident that somehow manages to simultaneously pull the (2 finger tight) strap forwards and past my chin

I hate havIng any sort of helmet on my head and I've only ever worn a FF for uplifted/DH riding. Put it on at the start of the run and take it back off pretty much immediately on finishing the run. Or even if I'm just stopping for a minute trackside.

jrewing

Monkey
Aug 22, 2010
Maydena Oz
Old D3, D rings, undone after every run.
snug tight..suprising how much a helmet moves on a rough track. i believe it helps keep vision better from the goggles.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Fun fact, the d-rings are designed to cut the strap at a force level a little less than it takes to remove your head from your spine
That may be so, but I can attest that doesn't always happen unfortunately.

Also makes me wonder why the hell they're on my fall arrest when I'm working on cranes.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I'm with Dr. Nick. I never really undo the D ring. Snug for runs. Loosen for funs (to take off). TLD D3. I don't have patience to redo d ring every time.

My TLD enduro fullface is that magnetic slide snap thing. So is my Giro ski helment. So there's that.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I don't wear full face helmets much now, but my Fox helmets always had annoying d-rings, which got worse when the strap started to get cruddy after a season of riding.

I remember one time I was stopped before joining the lift line again and was struggling to undo the rings (with my gloves on). A medic noticed me tugging at them and then came up to me and asked if I injured myself. NO SIR, I'm just dying of heat inside this black helmet and need it off yesterday! :rofl:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
On my Bell... I can loosen the D-rings enough to pull the helmet off. I do snug it down before every run down the hill though. I have witnessed a non-tighened FF helmet come off during a crash that required the rider to be air lifted out.
Same on my D4. I leave the snap at the end of the strap snapped and just loosen the D up to the snap to take it on and off. Its tight every run though.

On my enduro full face I use the buckle.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Half lid: Snug the entire time I'm wearing it.
Light-weight full face: I'll sometimes leave the buckle undone while I'm climbing, but for sure snug while descending.
TLD D3: I'll undo the d-rings at the end of each run usually, and then snug them up before I get off the chair.

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
I just leave it on and d-rings snug unless drinking some water. Just pull the googles off. The sun is gnarly around 10k, leave as much covered as possible!

Never could figure out the "put full face loosely on top of head like a yamaka" enduro bro thing.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
I just leave it on and d-rings snug unless drinking some water. Just pull the googles off. The sun is gnarly around 10k, leave as much covered as possible!

Never could figure out the "put full face loosely on top of head like a yamaka" enduro bro thing.
i have a cotopaxi full brimmed hat I wear when the helmet is off on the lift. It’s the largest brimmed hat I could find that could be crumpled up into a pants pocket. Keeps the sun off and lets your head breathe.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
was always really common here at our DH races. As uplift was often trucks and often a mile flat(ish) pedal from the finish to the loading area.
for each run/practice. And often a other push to the start from the drop off point. You kinda needed both hands to load the bikes on and off the big old farm cattle/sheep trucks so that either meant leaving your helmet outside on the (usually wet/dirty) road/ground (and risking forgetting it) before pushing the bike up into the back of the lorry.
You kinda got used to it I suppose so I guess plenty folk just adopted it for the ride along too. I always hung mine on stem/bars so it sat securely against my number plate.
I also know folk who won't ride the 100m across the car park to the gondola at Ft William without a done up FF on.
Cycling is all weird TBH

was always really common here at our DH races. As uplift was often trucks and often a mile flat(ish) pedal from the finish to the loading area.
for each run/practice. And often a other push to the start from the drop off point. You kinda needed both hands to load the bikes on and off the big old farm cattle/sheep trucks so that either meant leaving your helmet outside on the (usually wet/dirty) road/ground (and risking forgetting it) before pushing the bike up into the back of the lorry.
You kinda got used to it I suppose so I guess plenty folk just adopted it for the ride along too. I always hung mine on stem/bars so it sat securely against my number plate.
I also know folk who won't ride the 100m across the car park to the gondola at Ft William without a done up FF on.
Cycling is all weird TBH
Even with a history of head injuries I sometimes ride sans helmet.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
how often did you hit your head so far in life?
Hit? Literally thousands of times. To this day I still hit my head a good few times a month. But never while on a bike. Been back a week now from a fortnight in Spain where I rode every day and must've whacked my head 20 times over the duration of my stay. Never while riding though. Spanish houses seem to be built for midgets.
If you're talking about more serious head injuries. I've had head injuries requiring hospital treatment maybe 15 times, 3 times requiring stitches (all completely unrelated to bicycles) and concussion wise I've sustained concussions of differing severity well over 20 times but was well into double figures before I'd reached adulthood. I stopped going to the Dr/Hospital for concussions as I know the script ans advise given all too well. I didn't even realise concussion and multiple concussions in particular was a dangerous thing until a discussion about head injuries on here maybe 15 or so years back. Got some good advice from that. But ultimately it hasn't changed my choice of when and when not to wear a helmet.
Out of all the head injuries sustained. I've actually only had a handful of concussions while riding bicycles over my whole life. First was age 5 OTB straight onto concrete pavement with no helmet (they weren't really a thing back then), a few with a helmet on. and the last on an asphalt Velosolutions pumptrack with no helmet. When I do wear a helmet on an mtb I often hit the helmet off low branches on woodland trails I know well because my default of not wearing one makes me prone to I misjudging clearance. Wearing one also lowers my risk awareness/avoidance.
Why do you ask?

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Hit? Literally thousands of times. To this day I still hit my head a good few times a month. But never while on a bike. Been back a week now from a fortnight in Spain where I rode every day and must've whacked my head 20 times over the duration of my stay. Never while riding though. Spanish houses seem to be built for midgets.
If you're talking about more serious head injuries. I've had head injuries requiring hospital treatment maybe 15 times, 3 times requiring stitches (all completely unrelated to bicycles) and concussion wise I've sustained concussions of differing severity well over 20 times but was well into double figures before I'd reached adulthood. I stopped going to the Dr/Hospital for concussions as I know the script ans advise given all too well. I didn't even realise concussion and multiple concussions in particular was a dangerous thing until a discussion about head injuries on here maybe 15 or so years back. Got some good advice from that. But ultimately it hasn't changed my choice of when and when not to wear a helmet.
Out of all the head injuries sustained. I've actually only had a handful of concussions while riding bicycles over my whole life. First was age 5 OTB straight onto concrete pavement with no helmet (they weren't really a thing back then), a few with a helmet on. and the last on an asphalt Velosolutions pumptrack with no helmet. When I do wear a helmet on an mtb I often hit the helmet off low branches on woodland trails I know well because my default of not wearing one makes me prone to I misjudging clearance. Wearing one also lowers my risk awareness/avoidance.
Why do you ask?
This post explains so much.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Still got all my hair tho Seth :brow:

I hit my shins off stuff far far more often than most humans could accept too. Again. Not really while riding bikes.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I dunno if I posted up a pic of the helmet here or not but I had a head on collision on a cyclepath last year and I reckon I'd be dead or properly effed up if I was helmetless at the time.

In all the years of racing downhill and enduro, collisions with trees and rocks and the ground - I don't think I've ever hit anything that hard before. Wish it had been caught on video, it woulda looked like one of those American football clips where two goons just smash into each other at full force. Or at least thats what it felt like.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Hit another cyclist?
Yeah some big lad commuting home. Guy was riding towards me and got caught behind some slower people and pulled out without looking and neither of us had a chance to grab brakes. He got the worst of it, maybe landed bad but he was out cold for ages and bystanders got him an ambulance. I went to meet my mates at the pub but they took one look at me and took me to hospital for neck xrays. All clear thankfully but wicked hard combination of hitting him and then the pavement. Helmet was totalled and handlebars got bent. Glad I had a helmet on for that one or I could have ended up thinking Ellsworths sales claims make sense.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Carbon D3, with the ubiquitous D Rings.
Years ago, I pushed way way to hard, went anaerobic for far too long and ended up throwing up in my full face.

Do. Not. Recommend.

Since that time as soon as a run is over I feel claustrophobic and that thing must come off tout de suite. Fully undone and helmet off or at best resting on the top of my dome. Unfortunately, I can't get the fucking straps undone wearing gloves. You would think after all these years, it would be possible. :busted: So, it is a bit of a rush to get the gloves then helmet off before i loose my shit. :panic:

Strangely, at the top of the hill, put the helmet on, pedal in circles etc waiting for another chair or whatever and I am fine. Fucking weird mental ticks.

Last edited: