Quantcast

Full Face Helmets

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
Ok, so I'm going out to buy my first FF soon and I was wondering what everyone is wearing. Which brands? How do you like it? And if you know appr. how much it weighs, I'd be grateful if you'd share...
Thanks.:biggrin:

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
I now that the specialized helmets will be one of the lightest but for the best cost go with bell bellastic, they get the job done, for something that isn't to expensive but has the bling factor with better air flow and maybe even more protection go with giro. If you want the coolist of the cool go with sixsixone. light and great looking, will run you up a little more in price, but i think it is worth it. it is protecting your head after all.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I bought a 661 comp helmet (i think) on sale/clearance at sierra trading post online. Super cheap, like $30. It has worked really well and it's not too heavy and fits my head.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I've got the 661 Pro Bravo but only paid $70 for it. It's small and lightweight and it took a beating from me over the summer and is still in great shape :bonk:

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
I would definitely suggest trying different ones on in the store as it's something that has to fit just right to be comfortable.

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
but for the best cost go with bell bellastic, they get the job done, for something that isn't to expensive
Unfortunately, I tried on the Bell Bellistic and the Med was too big and the small was too small, so I can't get that one. Too bad because my hubby just bought that one and loves it!

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I have the 661 Hurricane Flight Helmet. Its expensive as its a DOT/SNELL approved motostyle helmet. I got mine for a good deal at Beyond bikes. I think I paid $270 or something. Its very light weight (I don't have a strong neck, and other ff helmets have really weighed me down after a full day of riding, but this one I don't even notice). The only problem is that it needed some modification. Even the extra small was too big, so I requested another lining from 661 and doubled the lining up. Now it fits. I would post a picture but I can't figure out how.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
How's the breathing in 661's, they don't have such great reviews from mtbr.com.
I have been breathing in mine :brow: . But I don't have much to compare to except that it fit well in the store and was alot lighter than the rental one I used at Whistler. I have the 661 Full Comp Helmet. It seems fine, except that when I put goggles on, I feel like it pushes down on my nose. Maybe I need a bigger nose or maybe it is the helmet, or maybe I'm just not used to wearing goggles.

Wow, Grape, $270~!

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
I have gone through my share of FF helmets over the past 5 years. I started cheap and light and as my skills (and my crashes) progressed I went lighter with the most protection. I fell in love with Troy Lee and haven't worn anything else since I switched last year.

I wear a moto helmet (SE Stunt yellow) when I race and a carbon fiber when I ride.

SuperKat

Monkey
Jul 3, 2005
New York
The Troy Lee's are HOT! Mucho dinero though.
Right now I'm using the Giro Remedy CF for DH, and I have a Specialized Deviant for aggresive XC. I had a Giro Mad Max last season and loved that too. They're beginning to get super cheap on the web sites.
I tried a 661 Full Bravo CF at the beginning of this season, but the back is kind of pointy and the goggle strap was tough to hold in place.

TBFKAHG

Monkey
Aug 11, 2005
I would definitely suggest trying different ones on in the store as it's something that has to fit just right to be comfortable.
Definitely agree with that. Different manufacturers use different head molds (and with some motorcycle helmet manufactures different molds for different models) so a helmet that works great for one person might not work at all for you. The 661s fit me pretty well but the Bell Ballistic feels like crap (which is a shame too since I picked up cheap ones for painting).
Even the heaviest full face helmet should be light enough that you'll get used to it. My Moto helmet (shoei) is much heavier than any Downhill/BMX helmet i've ever tried and still the most comfortable helmet I own.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I have a TLD moto helmet that I love.

But most importantly, you have to try a bunch on and see what fits you best. Each brand is a little different.