Quantcast

Full Face Reccomendations

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
Hey,
Im in the market for a new helmet because yesterday I got in a bad crash where I snapped my fork

and broke my jaw, had a major concussion and got 8 stiches, 3 on my eybrow, 3 on my lower lip and 2 in my mouth.

Thank god I had my full face on because with out it I would be in the hospital still. Ive had quite a few people tell me to get moto helmets, but was wondering what you guys thought.
Thanks
Tommy

ioscope

Turbo Monkey
Jul 3, 2004
Vashon, WA
I'm guessing front wheel case??

Good luck on that recovery, I just took a header onto pavement this last saturday!
I have a brand new Mad Max II Carbon. It's sweet, it's airy, it's only 1000g. It was expensive though $200.

Ironically, even though I went tumbling onto the pavement, my helmet had nary a scratch!

So that's what i'd suggest.

Do tell about the crash though!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
(begin broken record)
Don't buy helmets without trying them on first. Go find a place with a bunch of helmets to try on, find out which ones fit comfortably, and if you're still not sure which helmet to buy, come back with a question like, "Helmet X, Y, and Z fit me, which is the best?"

Anything else is just a crapshoot. For instance, I probably tried ten different helmets that were all incredibly uncomfortable. Bell and 661 were notably painful - they were just the wrong shape for my skull. I tried Giro MadMax II and it just fit on my head like it was made for me.

So, unless you've tried it on, there's about an even chance that you'll hate it.
(/broken record)

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I swear by moto helmets. I have a Fox Tracer and love it. Go to your local moto shop and check out the different styles. As said above, not everythign will feel right on your head.

Tracer:

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Damn dude! good thing you were wearing a foo-face. I wear a Troy Lee Designs Carbon, very expensive - but fits me like a glove.

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
ioscope said:
I'm guessing front wheel case??
Actually everyone that was there said I landed fine, then the fork randomly snapped, it didnt have any cracks because I had checked it before the ride. Kinda weird though :think:

Lefty

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Megan calls me a babe.
Today i bought this one... it;'s my first fullface and i hope it will protect me good.
The Oakley O-frame with snowberry clear frame and persimon glass is also new..:evil:

Lets go Ballistic.. :twisted:

swaawing... my all new Bell Bellistic fullface helmet, just bought it today and my O-frame goggles.

Watch out here i come. Make room.

I tried a Mad max on my head..but it was to tight on my face.. and i could not breath that good because of that , when i have the helmet on my head for more then a hour. And this helmet has wider range of vision.

So this is it and it was cheaper to.

Yeah i am so stoked. :eek:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a Bell Bellistic and I also wear Smith Warp II goggles. I have a REALLY small head so that set-up works great for me, but I haven't been going too huge either. If I were riding more aggressively (aka fork-breaking crashes) I would probably go with a moto helmet. Definately try them on to see how they fit!

Quick recovery to you as well...looks like you were pretty lucky with that crash!

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
stratguy1618 said:
Actually everyone that was there said I landed fine, then the fork randomly snapped, it didnt have any cracks because I had checked it before the ride. Kinda weird though :think:
The early zocchi's had many occurances of the stanchions snapping. I'm guessing it'a a Z.1? Good to hear no major face damage! I use a 661 Bravo...

stratguy1618

Monkey
Apr 18, 2004
HRDTLBRO said:
The early zocchi's had many occurances of the stanchions snapping. I'm guessing it'a a Z.1? Good to hear no major face damage! I use a 661 Bravo...
Yes it is a 2002 Z1, anyone know if marzocchi will warantee it or give a crash replacement??

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Zocchi will give you a deal. Some kid broke his 1998 Junior T, and they sold him a 2004 Z1 for $250.

BTW, what helmet where you wearing?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I ain't as high roller as TJ with his carbon 661 helmet, but I own a 661 Full Bravo 2 (the non-carbon version), and it's done very well by me. It's also very reasonably priced (~$120 I think).

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
One time I was dirt jumping on a free, beat up marz x-fly (the SID equivalent). It broke just like that and I broke my collarbone. I also got 7 stiches in my lip a few weeks previous.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
dexterq20 said:
I ain't as high roller as TJ with his carbon 661 helmet, but I own a 661 Full Bravo 2 (the non-carbon version), and it's done very well by me. It's also very reasonably priced (~$120 I think).
Yeah, got the same helmet. Decent and pretty good price. Crashed up at Whistler...lame crash but glad that I had the foo face on cuz it would have been pretty ugly otherwise. The Mad Max is a really nice helmet too, but make sure it fits ur head first like others mentioned...