Quantcast

Full finger gloves!!!

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I'm in the market, what does everybody here wear?

I usually ride XC/Trail type riding.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Generally whatever's on sale. I go through several pairs of gloves a year.

I do currently have some Specialized gloves that seem to be lasting an exceptionally long time though.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
I have a pair of Fox Sidewinders that are going on 6 years now. For some reason the things just won't die, not that I am complaining. They are starting to show signs of wear as of recently, so I am anticipating a new pair this year.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I've got some Troy Lee XC gloves. Very comfy, but I don't think they'll last long.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I've been using Pearl Izumi gel lites. I like them alot. They get pretty stanky after a few rides though. They'll go through the wash well if you put them in a "delicates" bag thing that some ladies use to wash their delicates in. I had no idea such a thing existed until I got married.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
stinkyboy said:

I don't do much XC anymore...

HAHA! I have a pair of those. Makes you want to punch out nature on the way downhill! (and it's about the only thing from Brooklyn Bikes I could afford).

But seriously folks, I found the TLD xc gloves to be very comfortable. Fox gloves tend to fall apart on me.

J

JRB

I have gotten the best deals on Specialized gloves, but I got some Haro gloves that I like too. I have always been too cheap for Fox. I Are Baboon must be made of money.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Echo said:
Generally whatever's on sale. I go through several pairs of gloves a year.

I do currently have some Specialized gloves that seem to be lasting an exceptionally long time though.
My LBS didn't have the Full fingers in in the style I wanted. I did like some of the Specialized gloves though.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
moff_quigley said:
I've been using Pearl Izumi gel lites. I like them alot. They get pretty stanky after a few rides though. They'll go through the wash well if you put them in a "delicates" bag thing that some ladies use to wash their delicates in. I had no idea such a thing existed until I got married.
nice disclaimer!

macko

Turbo Monkey
Jul 12, 2002
THE Palouse
I've worn Fox gloves for as long as I can remember. Think I started way back in the day (mid-90's) when I thought Shaun Palmer was a badass and Fox was his big sponser.

Young and impressionable I know; but I guess their marketing did the trick.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
The static is a comfortable glove BUT the terry cloth on the thumb isn't big enough for my liking.
Speaking of terry cloth do any of your guys have problems with sweat dripping on your glasses? Mine are always getting covered in sweat when my helmet pad gets soaked.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I got some troy lee xc gloves from pricepoint for like 14 bucks or something really cheap at the start of the season. I previously hated full fingers but so far am digging these as they keep my hands cool.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stosh said:
Speaking of terry cloth do any of your guys have problems with sweat dripping on your glasses? Mine are always getting covered in sweat when my helmet pad gets soaked.
Yep all the time and its something I've just learned to live with. I do carry a chunk of t-shirt in my camelbak for dryings if necessary.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
These work pretty darn good for me:

http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/jsearch/product.jsp?pn=100955

I usually get a somewhere between half a season to a full season out of them before I wear through the palms. Not much padding in the palms. Not bulky. Good stretch and the backs of the gloves are mesh and breath pretty well. The XL fits my long skinny fingers well but aren't baggy. That's a real big plus for me. I have long hands but not necessarily big hands, so a good fitting glove can be hard to find.

The ones I have aren't exactly like those in the picture. They don't have that little divot thingy on the fingers. Not sure what that's about.

I think HD even has a pair with little plastic reinforced knuckles, which might be nice for a DH glove (at a fraction of cost of a MTB specific glove I'm sure.)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
Yep all the time and its something I've just learned to live with. I do carry a chunk of t-shirt in my camelbak for dryings if necessary.
I'm thinking about getting a 1970's headband.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
DRB said:

I always keep a bandana in my back pocket. Useful for both wiping off sweat and robbing the occasional stage coach.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I bought 3 pair of AXO unpadded, vented gloves with the grippy dots all over the palm side... they were on sale for $10. That was 4 years ago. They are my summer gloves and I am on my last pair. My thumb punched through a few months ago but they still are okay :)

In the winter I use some thick specialized DH gloves.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
stosh said:
I'm thinking about getting a 1970's headband.
I tried that and I think that headbands make it worse, as they'll hold more sweat and then it just comes flooding out.

I have been wearing the matching wristband and that seems to soak up a ton more sweat.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
DRB said:
I tried that and I think that headbands make it worse, as they'll hold more sweat and then it just comes flooding out.

I have been wearing the matching wristband and that seems to soak up a ton more sweat.
Yeah I have a sweet throwback Phillies one I wear sometimes.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
narlus said:
i love qranc...too bad they went tits up about 5 years ago...
:stupid:

I have been using the same pair of DH gloves for 5 years now. They are starting to rip in the cuff, but I use them for bike and moto. I have more miles than I can count on these and they rock.

I will get a new pair soon, but I will miss my qrancs.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i had a pair of Dainese with the carbon knuckle protectors that i lost and will eventually replace.

For most XC rides i just purchase comfy gloves, usually Fox that i can find for 20 bucks or less. Unless i'm looking for a winter glove for the cold in which i'll get completely out of the biking industry and get some XC skiing gloves.

Many times it makes sense to look outside into other sports clothing or gear for better price, comfort, and usefullness.