Quantcast

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Not if you want ridemonkey to continue...
Excuse my ignorance of internet advertising revenue but RM only gets paid if somebody clicks through the ad, correct? I just can't see anybody clicking an ad for some zwinky cartoon crap or bill consolidation program. At least they could try and target advertising to us from markets of interest.

edit: got another fvcking ad posting this ....

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Excuse my ignorance of internet advertising revenue but RM only gets paid if somebody clicks through the ad, correct? I just can't see anybody clicking an ad for some zwinky cartoon crap or bill consolidation program. At least they could try and target advertising to us from markets of interest.

edit: got another fvcking ad posting this ....
Go to ehowa.com he actually did a write up about internet revenue yesterday. Kinda interesting. Warning it is a NSFW site.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
fvcking parasites. haven't the advertisers figured out that the world hates the crap they push and they just piss people off with the "sneaky" click adverts that detract from the enjoyable contenet of the pages we are trying to view. if their reason for advertising here is that there are clicks to be had, and they create an environment that makes people want to stay away, then there will be fewer clicks to be had, thus reducing the desireablility of ridemonkey as an advertising node.

he fvck-face advertisers - why don't you promote products people here might care about instead of just infecting us with spam for zwinky puke? how about supporting the community, instead of slash-and-burn deforestation advertising techniques that will drive away the clicks you seek. this isn't the field of dreams of clicks; just because you built it doesn't mean we will come. and if you continue to use subversive methods to get me to click on your crap (like hijacking the clicks i want to make and redirecting me to your sh!te) then you won't find me here. in any case, i'm not buying what you are selling (bike co's will likely get a pass on this policy).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Incorrect; we get paid on ad impressions.

Guys, if you find full page loading ads, PLEASE get the URL of the offending ad and post it here. It's not supposed to be happening so we have to track down the problem ads and get them removed.

Mr.Bishop

King of Beers
Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Incorrect; we get paid on ad impressions.

Guys, if you find full page loading ads, PLEASE get the URL of the offending ad and post it here. It's not supposed to be happening so we have to track down the problem ads and get them removed.
Yeah guys, please do this!!!

We ditched our ad serving company in order to manage these things ourselves. We'll have way more control that way. The problem is that our options got re-set and the interstitials were enabled accidentally. We're spending all of today tracking them down, but with your help we can get them all faster!

So please, before posting up angry, grab the URL of the ad and a screen capture! They'll all be gone in no time.

And before arguing, yes advertisers completely get that these are dumb. We get paid based on displaying ads, not clicks.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
And before arguing, yes advertisers completely get that these are dumb. We get paid based on displaying ads, not clicks.
So, a quick question - if you get paid for displaying ads, do programs like adblock actually affect RM in anyway? Doesn't the advertiser still think that the ads are being displayed, or does it somehow block it? This is just sort of curious, as I'm on Chrome and so don't have adblock running...

And a more theoretical question, why do banner ads suck? I'm not questioning whether they're annoying, or in your face, etc, but they're just bland, devoid of ANYTHING that would cause me to click on them. And not just here, but on the entire internet. I haven't seen a banner ad in YEARS that would interest me enough to click on it. Is it just that companies have realized that people overlook them and so it's just bottom-of-the-barrel crap that gets scraped up and thrown on a webpage? I mean, when was the last time you saw something that was so interesting that you actually clicked on it? For the life of me, I can't remember the last time I did. The first ad company that can come up with a reason to actually view *and click* on a banner ad will make millions.......

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
So, a quick question - if you get paid for displaying ads, do programs like adblock actually affect RM in anyway? Doesn't the advertiser still think that the ads are being displayed, or does it somehow block it
The ad block programs stop the ad from being displayed so we don't get the +1 to the ad impressions.

It negatively impacts Ridemonkey's income from ads. I have mentioned this a few times in the Support forum when ad block programs get suggested.

I know that people want ads to go away, but they are literally paying for your free message board here. They pay for bandwidth and servers and news articles and administration.

So all of you running those ad block programs, at least consider what you are doing. It's not "everyone else" who pays for it. It's you. The reason premium memberships haven't cropped back up is because they were not financially reasonable - the heavy use users generate so much more in ad revenue per year than those memberships cost. So unless you guys would pony up a couple hundred bucks per year to get rid of ads, it was literally a money losing proposition.

There needs to be balance, of course. We don't want ads to be super intrusive or aggressive. But if we don't make money, we don't grow. No new features, no new articles, no race coverage, no reviews, nothing. Worse, if we don't grow, like it or not we're a business here and money-losing businesses don't get ignored. They get deleted. So we try to find the space where Ridemonkey is a profitable, growing business and at the same time, a great website and a great community and without intrusive advertising.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
The ad block programs stop the ad from being displayed so we don't get the +1 to the ad impressions.

It negatively impacts Ridemonkey's income from ads. I have mentioned this a few times in the Support forum when ad block programs get suggested.

I know that people want ads to go away, but they are literally paying for your free message board here. They pay for bandwidth and servers and news articles and administration.

So all of you running those ad block programs, at least consider what you are doing. It's not "everyone else" who pays for it. It's you. The reason premium memberships haven't cropped back up is because they were not financially reasonable - the heavy use users generate so much more in ad revenue per year than those memberships cost. So unless you guys would pony up a couple hundred bucks per year to get rid of ads, it was literally a money losing proposition.

There needs to be balance, of course. We don't want ads to be super intrusive or aggressive. But if we don't make money, we don't grow. No new features, no new articles, no race coverage, no reviews, nothing. Worse, if we don't grow, like it or not we're a business here and money-losing businesses don't get ignored. They get deleted. So we try to find the space where Ridemonkey is a profitable, growing business and at the same time, a great website and a great community and without intrusive advertising.

so what you're telling me is that i'm more valuable as a freeloader? :weee:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
so what you're telling me is that i'm more valuable as a freeloader? :weee:
ding! you are more valuable ignoring the advertising here that supports the conent you want than you are paying out of pocket directly for the content you want. sounds like flimsy economics to me; maybe RM will crash just like the stock and housing markets due to the over-inflated valuation mechanisms that represent speculative values instead of the gold-standard.