Quantcast

Full Sail Pale Ale...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
is hella good.

Current project: bloodwood drum shell finished in pure tung oil. 1 coat finished on the inside, edges finished w/ parrafin wax.

:D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
First coat on the outside of the shell soaking in.

4th beer on an empty stomach.

Hmm...oh man, I have a can of vegetarian chili in the cupboard! w00t!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Please tell me that shell will be floating and you won't FVCK it up by drilling for the hardware!

tell me about the drum.... is it pieced together then turned on a lathe?

the bearing edge looks F'ing Saweeeet.

are you making these? or just finishing them? I am a little confused:clue:

I love it.........

OH, I may try the beer suggestion too!:thumb:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
brungeman said:
Please tell me that shell will be floating and you won't FVCK it up by drilling for the hardware!
I hate floating snares, the Pearl hardware is garbage. This is getting custom machined alum lugs. (in black chrome)

brungeman said:
tell me about the drum.... is it pieced together then turned on a lathe?

the bearing edge looks F'ing Saweeeet.

are you making these? or just finishing them? I am a little confused:clue:
It's made by a company called Global - segmented contruction, then turned on a CNC lathe, (the bearing edges too) then CNC engraved. The tolerances are like .005" or so.

http://www.globaldrumco.net/

I'm finishing it in hand rubbed tung oil. I't getting at least 10 coats.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
H8R said:
I hate floating snares, the Pearl hardware is garbage. This is getting custom machined alum lugs. (in black chrome)

It's made by a company called Global - segmented contruction, then turned on a CNC lathe, (the bearing edges too) then CNC engraved. The tolerances are like .005" or so.

http://www.globaldrumco.net/

I'm finishing it in hand rubbed tung oil. I't getting at least 10 coats.
Yes I agree, the pearl hardware is junk! I hope the custom stuff you are making shows off the beautiful wood!

Is that a Tung oil "varnish" or just tung oil? I have used both a bunch for different furniture projects, and like the tung oil varnish a lot. It almost leaves a stronger coating. Not quite a regular varnish or laquer finish, but sumwhere inbetween oil, and laquer.

looks great, and now that you mention the hardware, I vaguely remember (I think it was) you asking about black chrome!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Finished shell, lug drilling to commence after a few days cure.

More beer pics later...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
OGRipper said:
But I was sure you would end up rubbing beer on the drum and taking a long pull on the oil. :)
That would be a huge mistake. Tung oil is totally nontoxic when cured but possibly fatal if ingested in the raw oil form.