Quantcast

Full squish 29er shoot out results

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
I'll have to take your word for it I guess....Riding bikes strictly as toys and treating them as objects of desire?:plthumbsdown:

I would have to say that they are all good or at least good enough, along with all their 26" brethren and I haven't had to ride any more than four or five models over the years to find this out. Some are better than others for some and others are better for others than some but in the end the bike that you have under your ass at any given moment is the best regardless of what others might think about it.

Remember, it ain't no sin to take off your skin and bike around in your bones.

mtbtom

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
UK
I'll have to take your word for it I guess....Riding bikes strictly as toys and treating them as objects of desire?:plthumbsdown:

I would have to say that they are all good or at least good enough, along with all their 26" brethren and I haven't had to ride any more than four or five models over the years to find this out. Some are better than others for some and others are better for others than some but in the end the bike that you have under your ass at any given moment is the best regardless of what others might think about it.

Remember, it ain't no sin to take off your skin and bike around in your bones.
Yeah you're right. MTBR is all about consumerism anyway - driving demand for the "latest and greatest" products to sell advertising. Nothing wrong with that at all, but bling for the sake of bling seems like such a waste of money to me.

That said, if I didn't feel as though I had enough bikes already I'd take one of those RIP 9s in a second - with an XT kit on it of course !

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
hitekrdnk, that is like saying "just blindly buy some bike and like it damnit".

I'm sorry, but if I'm looking for certain characteristics for my type of riding and terrain, I'm sure as hell going to read every review possible if I have no access to test ride each frame I might be interested in (which obviously I don't have access to).

This shootout rates function, not form or bling factor. I fail to see how this is not considered somewhat useful.

hitekrdnk

Monkey
May 15, 2006
I apologize but the whole eMpTy BeeR thing leaves me dry anymore.

Does having opinions that differ mean we have to argue about it now endlessly? I don't need to read someone I don't even know's opinions and base my choice of what to ride on what they/others say is "the best". You get benefits from it.

Now let's go for a ride?

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Does having opinions that differ mean we have to argue about it now endlessly? I don't need to read someone I don't even know's opinions and base my choice of what to ride on what they/others say is "the best". You get benefits from it.
I didn't realize this was an endless arguement. I simply responded to your tirade that implied a functionality review was simply there to treat the bike as a object. This is a public forum, expect responses. Otherwise, I wouldn't bother posting if you can't handle another persons opinion.

First off, I'm guessing you didn't even glance at this review. No one claimed that one bike was the best. There were several reviewers giving their thoughts on each bikes handling characteristics. The handling characteristic that a person is after is personal opinion that relates to riding style and trail type. If a reviewer gives a review describing the handling characteristic, no matter how it helped or hurt their own riding style or trail type, then one can use that information to help narrow down a field of frames to find what may best suit them. How is that a bad thing?

By your reasoning, people should not bother researching a bike before they buy it? We should just plop down money on a bike we know nothing about? Unfortunately, I do not have that type of disposable income or complete lack of interest in making a well informed decision. The reviews gave a unbiased overview as to what to expect from each bike. There was at the least about one category that each bike could be classified as the "best" in. It's up to the buyer to weigh out which is the right bike for them.

Sure, there are plenty of folks on MTBR that may rather look at the bike then ride it. That was not the case with any of the reviewers as they all put in many trail miles a week doing what they love most.

Sorry, that was quite the tirade in itself. And hell yes, we can go for a ride anytime!

Feb 13, 2006
I agree with MMcG -- it's good and it's more than nothing but it's not great. The reviews aren't informative, instead they're full of cliches and other vague statements. The question of whether a suspension "bobs" is another foolish distraction, because suspension is supposed to absorb and if it's not absorbing then it's not functioning... if you want a locked out rear end, ride a hardtail.

I think Francois could have found better riders and among those better riders, better thinkers and writers.

I appreciate their efforts but I don't think they told me anything I couldn't have figured out based upon other people's reviews from Interbike and from other reports in the 29er forum at MTBR.

Feb 13, 2006
The one that didn't have production frames ready for their shootout, aka the Sultan.
IMO Turner bikes all ride similarly... planted, great cornering, neutral weight balance... if you set them up with forks recommended by Dave Turner. You can screw up the general Turner handling by using too little or too much fork, though. But I'd say that if you know how a 5-Spot or Burner or Flux rides, you know how the Sultan rides. It's really pretty simple.

I say this as an owner of a 5-Spot and a 6-Pack and someone who's owned and ridden lots of different FS rigs. I feel pretty confident that if I got onto a Sultan it would ride like a 5-Spot with 29er-specific characteristics (more carve sensation, smoother over trail bumps/holes).