Quantcast

full suspension DJ?

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
are full suspensions really bad for DJ, or can you make do? Can you keep momentum going through an entire line or are they too heavy? i have hit the first set of doubles on this line, and i feel like i wont have enough speed to hit the next one. let me know what you all think....or how to make it easier with a FS....

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
FS bikes can't carry as much speed through a certain section because you can't "pump" them, like you can a hardtail or fully rigid bike. If you want more speed, maybe try pedalling? :D

In all seriousness though, I've only ever ridden a hardtail, so I honestly couldn't tell ya how to keep speed over jumps and that kind of thing, because I don't know. Sorry I couldn't help.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I ride hardtails as well, and I usually set the fork preload higher, and with quicker rebound, you can prepare for the next set. I'm not sure how this would affect an fs, but it may give you slightly more pump to get off the next jump lip. Not exaclty sure though.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
By the way,
How do you like the Bighit? I've ridden a few and they feel damn sweet. I ride a doped P.1, and i'm in High School as well.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
i LOVE the bighit comp, it is a great solid bike, but i usually dont dirt jump often, i do the drops, and ladders, and stuff like that. yeah its a great bike, its taken everything i've thrown at it so far. are you thinking about getting one or just asking?

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
I was actually about to purchase last year's orange comp, but no more were left. Now they raised the price another $300. I just can't give up a nice hardtail, so i'll be riding them for a while. Hence my screen name. :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I ride an enduro with some aftermarket rear end pieces and have the rear set at 3.5 inches. It is a little more difficult to pump but it can be done. The benefit for me is that casing or just thumping your back wheel on the lip of a landing doesn't eat your wheel, cranks etc. Once you get used to pumping it's no big deal.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
I can DJ my 42lb dh bike pretty well with some minor tweeking. I run the compression really hard and the rebound fast on my fox rc so that when I slam the bike into the lip it'll give me the most kick. It takes a little work to learn how to jump a fs bike but with practice and patients you'll be able to jump it fairly well. The guys on the hardtails will still beat you, but you'll be able to keep up fairly well. Just work on preloading the rear shock right before you go off the lip of the jump and then let the rebound of the shock kick you off the lip.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
Originally posted by BIGHIT756
thats what i was thinkin, just pump up the shock (3-way) to its max, and set the rebound high, and see what happens.
That's what I would do, and then right before you front wheel goes off the lip give the whole bike a good slam into the lip and off you should go. I don't know if it works as well with SPV shocks but my friend jumps his bike with a 5th elment well so it can def be done. Just have fun with it, good luck.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
what the hell i will just try to do both sets, cuz hey, if i do cut it short and case it, i have 7.5 in back and 6 in front to back me....
Just go faster than you need to for the first one, get a couple pedals in and hit the second and you should be fine.

it dosen't really matter what you ride when you DJ. some will say no suspension some will say yes suspension. the fact is if it is your bike and you are used to it, you can bust $h!t on every line. i ride a bmx and a foes zigzag and i can rip any line on either of them. and they are VERY different bikes.
fact is, if you can really ride rhythms correctly it dosent matter, the choice is yours....

ride what you brought..........

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
Despite what other people are saying, I definitely would not try to get so much speed that you overshoot the first jump. That won't get you anymore speed for the second one. In fact, it will slow you down. Being smooth keeps your momentum, so if you can manage to pump the first jump so as to land as smooth as possible, you will have the most momentum for the second one. Just try to get a couple pedals in the middle, and let the suspension soak up the cases. Good luck.

edit: Sorry, when I say land as smooth as possible, that means land both wheels on the tranny of the first one, rather than landing flat.

BIGHIT756

Monkey
Jan 6, 2004
Maple Valley, Washington
I am in renton, wa and i am hitting the ones in fairwood, they are called the philly hits....the are right next to phillip arnold park. they are from 7 feet long, to i think 11-12 feet. by the way, i tried the second, and frickin cased it hard the first time, hurt like hell, then i tried it again(as if i didn't learn the first time) and cased it hard again!!! screw it i am sticking to droppin off really big things...

dirteater

Chimp
Jul 10, 2003
Midwest
nice video clip....how many lines do you have set up in that area there? that looks great
it is a small bmx dirt jump spot called 'little woods' built by 'little kids'. nothing special but a good place to learn to dirtjump. imo dirtjumping helps in other areas of mtb, even xc; i find myself pumping through xc trails by habit which makes you go way faster and use less energy which is needed for the big climbs.

bmxr

Monkey
Jan 29, 2004
Marietta, GA
Riding rythym on a fs is a little harder because the suspension tries to suck the energy out. Once you learn how, though, you can definitely compensate for it. Some proof (none of these guys has less than 7" front or rear...):

Short video (right click, save as . . .):
jumps in FL

Some pics:
Demolition Dave

Andy

Me