Quantcast

full suspension single speed dh/freeride bikes

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Using gears downhill obviously makes you impotent.

You heard it here first guys.

Flo33

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2015
Styria
US brand AC components made one (which looked really nice at the time but didn't actually work brilliantly. these came OEM on Giant and GT DH bikes.
Roox also made a guide with a sprung lower roller assembly.

Had an AC one on my 99 Foes DHS Mono, replaced the upper part with a macguyererd LX derailleur arm and the lower part with a RooX roller coaster. As a fellow Austrian I had to run some RooX parts. As did Nico on his V-Process btw, can be seen in NWD2. :nerd:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
but it also doesn't guide the chain onto the lower rear sprocket so you may need some sort of guide (plates?) at that end to help with that. or a Narrow wide sprocket. is that a thing yet? ;)
I don't know about N/W sprocket yet but singlespeed specific sprockets, like the ones I got from On One / PlanetX, have pretty long and fairly wide teeth and no ramp so that they might do the job on their own. I never tried them with a chain tensioning device so consider my statement above as something from the cyberspace! :brows:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
2.7 Watts !!!!

That'll practically turn a 38lb DH bike into an E-bike.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
speaking from experience?
My downhill bike has one gear. I'm getting on a bit and still have a fully functioning penis. So yes. I suppose you could call that speaking from experience.

;)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I'm planning on using an XO short cage 9 speed mech.
Probably one of the best DH mechs ever made (coupled with the matching shifter for anyone who still runs gears), I keep a new stash of both.

View attachment 127664
Quiet, massively mud friendly and doesn't ever lose the chain.
Is that setup actually quiet compared to a modern DH bike (many of which are nearly silent)?
Reason I ask is it looks like you're using incredibly minimal chainstay taping there. I suppose having the drive cog further inboard reduces contact a bit, maybe that helps a lot compared to a regular geared setup which puts the chain fully outboard?

I've found careful 2228 taping eliminates the need for a clutch mech (in terms of noise) and avoids the added friction / cost / hassle that comes with the clutch, guessing you're in a similar boat, although surely you'd need more tape to approach current bike noise standards.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Probably one of the best DH mechs ever made (coupled with the matching shifter for anyone who still runs gears), I keep a new stash of both.
Yeah. I'm sure I also have a XO 9 speed shifter somewhere but I can't bloody find it!

Is that setup actually quiet compared to a modern DH bike (many of which are nearly silent)?
Reason I ask is it looks like you're using incredibly minimal chainstay taping there. I suppose having the drive cog further inboard reduces contact a bit, maybe that helps a lot compared to a regular geared setup which puts the chain fully outboard?
Sorry That pic is not the final editition. it wasn't completely silent. the chainstay in the pic only has 3M lockblock attached. I cut rubber strip from an A4 sheet of 3mm rubber and 3M lockblocked it over that. and it's eirily silent. I'll get a pic for you next time I trip over the Sunday looking for that shifter. ;)

I've found careful 2228 taping eliminates the need for a clutch mech (in terms of noise) and avoids the added friction / cost / hassle that comes with the clutch, guessing you're in a similar boat, although surely you'd need more tape to approach current bike noise standards
Yeah. I had thought of using mastik but it's £30 a roll and my solution was <£1. to put that into perspective a zee shadow plus mech at the time of building was £32.