Quantcast

Full Trucker goes East - Chattanooga/Pisgah/Dupont fall ride trip 2022

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Heads up to @jstuhlman @AngryMetalsmith @Dirtrider and any other TN/NC/southeasterly folks... Teh Spousal Unit™ and I are headed that way in the first half of October. We're leaving around Sept 29th, first stop is Indiana to visit family and then heading south to Chattanooga via Windrock to visit a good buddy who used to live here. We'll spend a day in Nooga, then head to "Pisgah" for ~4 days spanning a weekend to ride. We'll be in our van and my buddy will have his as well, so we're fairly mobile. We'll want to mix up the rides between super tough/gnar/etc. and more mellow stuff. What are the recommendations for the best rides in the area? From scanning this thread, what I am seeing is:
  • Black Mountain/Bennet Gap (is this the same as Clawhammer to Upper Black, down Avery and then down Bennett?)
  • Grandfather District/Wilson Creek area
  • Spencer>Trace
My buddy in Chattavegas corroborates Black Mountain, Avery and Bennett. Thinks lower Black Mountain would totally go for the wife, and the reroute up top might go for her as well since it eliminated a bunch of "Pisgah jank". He's also saying Ridgeline in Dupont is a good one, and North Mills River.

Also @rideit since you've ridden some of this stuff in Pisgah as well as Greens and Fooses off the Crest, please expound upon the similarities and differences thereof. Planning on riding Greens and Fooses with Teh Spousal Unit™ this summer, knowing how they compare might better set expectations and provide additional data points by which she may make appropriate trail choice decisions.

Lastly, yeah for sure of course I (we) would love to hook up with any of you fools that would be down for a ride o la cerveza o porque no los dos. We can sort that out closer to when we'll be in the area, which looks to be the second weekend of October.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ridgeline in Dupont is fun and very easy, its a nice long'ish flow trail from the top of a hill right back to the car pretty much. Most of Dupont is on the easier side compared to Pisgah, but still fun. And not as much climbing. Watch out for horses if you see trailers in the parking lot.

If you end up going to Dupont though, I'd suggest checking out the other side of the forest and riding Burnt Mountain Trail, Cedar Rock and Big Rock trail. You could do it all in one day... Burnt Mountain has one tech section and the two Rock trails are pretty much just giant huge rock slabs, my girlfriend had fun on those, even in the pissing rain.

Sounds like a good trip!

Just checked out the ride log from my last time down Black and wow, its changed so much -https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/10415929/

The top of Black Mountain has some amazing views in a few spots, but there are a few hike-a-bike spots to get there. Definitely worth it.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Sounds like a good trip!
Thanks for the reccos and yeah, I'm stoked on this trip. After Pisgah/Dupont/NC we'll be back in Nooga for a day or so to decompress and drink whiskey, then we'll hit Bentonville, AR for a couple of days on our way back towards CO. Probably stop and ride a bit at Switchgrass in KS to break up the drive, and because it's there so why not?

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
You will have a great time wherever you go. As far as tech, there was only one section on Bennett that was a gripper for me (but I did clean it first time). I didn’t think anything on Upper Black or Avery would be too far above Mrs. S.’ capabilities. The Crest stuff is much rocker, all told, more actual dirt/soil composition in Pisgah. All told, I had a wonderful time, and would go back in a heartbeat.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think your S will do fine. My S and I rode there in 2015 and I dragged her on to all the good stuff.

I'll add a suggestion between Chat and Pisgah, go ride at Tsali for some fun, fast swoopy lakeside stuff. Ease into Pisgah with a ride at Dupont (we demand a picture from Big Rock trail). Then go hit some of Pisgah proper.

Davidson River Campground was always my go to for trips down there.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
This ain't 1992
but it is rideit, who I think is a fine fine ambassador of the early 90s, as we all lived it, he was there bro, and he buys rocky mountain xc bikes which is proof that some things never change

that list is posted by redbull, not only a satisfying energy drink but the current modern authority on extreme sports. They even invented a few out of their own ass they're so extreme.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sounds like you have the basics covered when it comes to Brevard area Pisgah. Avery got reworked a few years ago, but its still rocky AF and its still kind of a PITA to get to. Bennett is still grand fun, but some of the ledges have some sizeable holes behind them now. Haven't done full Black in years, but the top part (after the shitty hike-a-bike) apparently has been spruced up, as has "middle Black" (its more or less a flow trail now, but pretty fun IMO). Lower black is pretty rough now if you're going mach 29er, and it beats the fuck out of my hands, but thats largely because I have old man bitch hands now and the last part of middle Black is high speed, chunky hand destruction no matter what kind of fork dampenings you have.

A good North Mills route is full Spencer to dirt road to full Fletcher. Plenty of chances to depart your mortal coil if you're bringing serious Monkey pace. There's also some bandit trails near there that offer some Pemberton type steep stuff, but they're kinda hard to find. I also have some weird routes that mix in some fun, but less "Do Not Resuscitate" danger sections. PM me if you want moar info on those items.

@jstuhlman is the man when it comes to Wilsons and where to acquire meth in Burke County.

Kanuga is a fun bike park kinda near DuPont, but its really set up for e-bikes if you want to get a good number of laps in. But really fun trails IMO.

Finally, Sugar Mountain (near Boone) opens back up for 2 weekends in October, so consider that an option if you want lift access and some fun ways to destroy your wheels.

Will join you if I can swing it with my familial overlords.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
There's also some bandit trails near there that offer some Pemberton type steep stuff, but they're kinda hard to find. I also have some weird routes that mix in some fun, but less "Do Not Resuscitate" danger sections. PM me if you want moar info on those items.
I'll definitely shoot you a PM when closer to the trip and we start finalizing ride plans. Do want Pemberton type steep stuff, particularly if they are shorter and could be shuttled for some good "second ride of the day" options.

Will join you if I can swing it with my familial overlords.
This would be awesome.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
everybody else's recommendations are spot on. good on you for being interested in the other pisgah (grandfather district). can definitely show you around there. it's a bit more "back country" but it's LE BEST. happy to show you around or suggest routes closer to when you come. definitely worth two days. there are a few spots you could park and camp easily, and there ar a few towns within 30 minutes with good food, breweries, etc (morganton or blowing rock or boone).

@canadmos and @rideit have both been and can provide context compared to the part of pisgah near brevard. another easy loop option if your wife doesn't like crazy steep or rugged would be the kitsuma loop near black mountain.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Cloudland Canyon to St Elmo (southern Chattanooga) and back for a solid 65miles 95% singletrack.

I live in Alabama now, but often head up to Chattanooga for riding shenanegins.

Feel free to hit me up, lots of options in that area.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana
I’ll throw my 2 cents in. Depending on your plans heading south from Greentown I would stop and check out Bakers Creek in Knoxville. You could spend a day there or and hour. Lots of fun trails there.
Squirrel gap is ok, but imo depending on how you try to loop the trail it can get a little hairy.
Trace Ridge is a quick and fun trail to do, depending on your speed it can be chill or rowdy.
How many days will you be in/around greentown?

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
I can definitely take you on a Pisgah loop or two. And if you go through Arkansas, Mt. Nebo IMHO is better than Bentonville. Less mileage, but it actually has tech and elevation. There is a nice campground at the top of the mountain where you can ride right from camp. I enjoyed it way more than Bentonville.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Holy... well kids it looks like we leave for this trip a week from tomorrow. Rough itinerary is depart CO on the evening of Thursday the 29th and arrive in Indiana on Saturday. We'll spend a couple days there before heading south. Arriving in Chattanooga (if planets align with a stop at Windrock on the way) on Tues 10/4 or Wed 10/5. Plan is to be in NC sometime on Thur 10/6 and stay through at least Mon 10/10 and possibly through to Tues 10/11.

We have a campsite reserved at North Mills River from Thursday evening through Sunday, so we'll be looking for a place (or places) to camp Sunday and possibly Monday nights.

We're still a bit fuzzy on what we're gonna ride and when... but all the ride suggestions have been awesome and I've stuck them all in a spreadsheet for consideration and figuring out. I know I'd like to try and ride some of the out-of-the-way stuff so I'll probably ping some people via PM to get some more details.

Additionally we'll be traveling with good friends from Chattanooga, and another good old buddy of mine from Atlanta is coming up for an undisclosed portion of the time. Which means to say... I'm feeling a bit tapped out with regards to meeting up with any of y'all since we'll be with people we haven't seen in forever already. But if it does work out to meet up that would be groovy as well.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Have fun!

There are a whole bunch of free camping sites in Pisgah, but first come first serve type of thing. I always saw lots of folks parking their vans along the river too.

There is this spot too, is it already reserved? Its basically at the bottom of Black Mountain/Avery/Bennet and close enough to bike to the bike shop and brewery.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Have fun!
I don't think that will be a problem, and thanks!

There are a whole bunch of free camping sites in Pisgah, but first come first serve type of thing. I always saw lots of folks parking their vans along the river too.
This is good to know. Our friends from Chattanooga have said there are dispersed/free sites around, but there aren't as many as out west and they tend to get taken up really quickly. We might opt to look for some free sites on Sunday or Monday, but we wanted a guaranteed spot for the weekend.

There is this spot too, is it already reserved? Its basically at the bottom of Black Mountain/Avery/Bennet and close enough to bike to the bike shop and brewery.

I know that Davidson CG (just down the road from this one) is booked, and I just looked for White Pine and it appears to also be reserved for most of the days we're there.

I don't think that will be a problem, and thanks!

This is good to know. Our friends from Chattanooga have said there are dispersed/free sites around, but there aren't as many as out west and they tend to get taken up really quickly. We might opt to look for some free sites on Sunday or Monday, but we wanted a guaranteed spot for the weekend.

I know that Davidson CG (just down the road from this one) is booked, and I just looked for White Pine and it appears to also be reserved for most of the days we're there.
Too bad, Davidson is nice, except when it floods...

Holy... well kids it looks like we leave for this trip a week from tomorrow. Rough itinerary is depart CO on the evening of Thursday the 29th and arrive in Indiana on Saturday. We'll spend a couple days there before heading south. Arriving in Chattanooga (if planets align with a stop at Windrock on the way) on Tues 10/4 or Wed 10/5. Plan is to be in NC sometime on Thur 10/6 and stay through at least Mon 10/10 and possibly through to Tues 10/11.

We have a campsite reserved at North Mills River from Thursday evening through Sunday, so we'll be looking for a place (or places) to camp Sunday and possibly Monday nights.

We're still a bit fuzzy on what we're gonna ride and when... but all the ride suggestions have been awesome and I've stuck them all in a spreadsheet for consideration and figuring out. I know I'd like to try and ride some of the out-of-the-way stuff so I'll probably ping some people via PM to get some more details.

Additionally we'll be traveling with good friends from Chattanooga, and another good old buddy of mine from Atlanta is coming up for an undisclosed portion of the time. Which means to say... I'm feeling a bit tapped out with regards to meeting up with any of y'all since we'll be with people we haven't seen in forever already. But if it does work out to meet up that would be groovy as well.
I'd like to join you, but V's coming to stay for a week, so can't.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
if you want to explore "the other pisgah" sun/mon i can suggest some potential spots to park yoself and camp. (and hopefully show you around for a day). they are first come first serve, but there are a variety.

one thing you might want to do is download the avenza maps app and then get the pisgah ranger district and pisgah grandfather district east and west maps. if you're riding without a local guide they're great in that most trails are on them and they always show you where you are even without cell service. there's probably one for dupont too.

Dirtrider

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2006
Asheville, NC
The whole road (FS 5000/Wash Creek Rd) has free dispersed sites which is right by the NMR campground and not far to move camp too (like 5 minutes). Most of the MR loops start off this road, including some fun, do not talk about, trails. I’d love to meet up and show y’all some loops. I’m about 15 minutes from NMR campground. A good loop I’ve taken people on is a shuttle off the parkway>Pilot Rock>YG Road>Horse Camp> SMR>Upper Black>Avery Creek>Bennett Gap. It’s a nice mix of some of the top trails. It’s a pretty big day with lots of tech which has several bailout points if needed and showcases both NMR and the Brevard side of Pisgah.

I think someone mentioned DuPont above. As of last week Ridgeline and a few of the other best trails over there were closed for work for several weeks. Not sure if they are reopened yet.

Last edited: