Quantcast

Full Trucker goes East - Chattanooga/Pisgah/Dupont fall ride trip 2022

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
if you want to explore "the other pisgah" sun/mon i can suggest some potential spots to park yoself and camp. (and hopefully show you around for a day). they are first come first serve, but there are a variety.

one thing you might want to do is download the avenza maps app and then get the pisgah ranger district and pisgah grandfather district east and west maps. if you're riding without a local guide they're great in that most trails are on them and they always show you where you are even without cell service. there's probably one for dupont too.
We’re thinking we might hit the Other Pisgah on Mon/Tue, so I’ll let ya know. It’d be great to have a tour guide maybe.

Do you have a link to the Avenza maps you’re talking about? I have that app but don’t use it often. I searched the Avenza store and I see some NatGeo maps for that area, is that what you’re suggesting? Or is there something else you’d recommend?

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
The whole road (FS 5000/Wash Creek Rd) has free dispersed sites which is right by the NMR campground and not far to move camp too (like 5 minutes). Most of the MR loops start off this road, including some fun, do not talk about, trails. I’d love to meet up and show y’all some loops. I’m about 15 minutes from NMR campground. A good loop I’ve taken people on is a shuttle off the parkway>Pilot Rock>YG Road>Horse Camp> SMR>Upper Black>Avery Creek>Bennett Gap. It’s a nice mix of some of the top trails. It’s a pretty big day with lots of tech which has several bailout points if needed and showcases both NMR and the Brevard side of Pisgah.

I think someone mentioned DuPont above. As of last week Ridgeline and a few of the other best trails over there were closed for work for several weeks. Not sure if they are reopened yet.
Thanks for the info about camping, DuPont, etc. I think we’re aiming to ride that big loop you mentioned, I’ll figure out when we’re doing that and let you (and whoever else) know. Could be fun to have a nerd herd for that ride. I’m also highly intredasted in some wink wink nudge nudge say no more say no more kinda trails.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
We’re thinking we might hit the Other Pisgah on Mon/Tue, so I’ll let ya know. It’d be great to have a tour guide maybe.

Do you have a link to the Avenza maps you’re talking about? I have that app but don’t use it often. I searched the Avenza store and I see some NatGeo maps for that area, is that what you’re suggesting? Or is there something else you’d recommend?
Grandfather Ranger District East Side (that's Wilson Creek area). You could get the west side if you wanted to try Heartbreak Ridge, Kitsuma, or Big Ivy/Coleman Boundary, which are closer to Asheville. Both from Pisgah Map Company (search Pisgah Ranger District from them for the trails down by Brevard). Also Wilson Creek / Lost Cove / Harper Creek from Linville Gorge Maps

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Good stuff FT! I should probably come to this forum moar oftens. :)

BTW: I think people shuttle Trinidad now :D

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Soon. Campsite in NC didn’t have cell coverage so communicating with the outside world was sporadic. I’ve been trying to get pics though. Due to limited cell service, visiting with old friends, trying to ride a bunch, and just the general faffing that comes with camping we didn’t meet up with the local monkeys while in Pisgah. It would have been cool but we had a great time and are grateful for all the trail advice! In Chattanooga now for a day, then heading west in earnest.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Indiana trails near my aunt and uncle’s farm… are boring AF. But it was nice to get a pedal with the wife.

E5256973-B197-49BC-8D9E-294A538D5D2C.jpeg

But we got to ride something a bit more interesting once we started heading south and East. Versailles State Park in Southern Indiana was a reasonably fun ride, thanks to @sunringlerider for the recommendation.

4F4DAF51-A76D-45D9-855D-B1E62DF16841.jpeg

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
After Southern Indiana, we stopped to ride in the Knoxville area with a specific focus of checking out Windrock. I’ve heard about it for decades, largely thanks to the DH forum here, and have always wanted to ride there. We warmed up on a mellow green and blue, then back up to the midpoint to try a longer blue. We unwittingly tried Talladega, which is a jump trail that’s wide AF, steep, and with peaky lips on all the jumps. Not really my style, and the character of the trail was definitely not to Teh Spousal Unit™ Comfort zone. She was done after that, got soooked on a couple jumps pretty badly. I went up and ran the gnarliest non-jump line I could find, a trail called Reach Around. It was super cool, steep, techy, and rocky.

In the interest of keeping it fun for everyone, we bugged out of there and tried Baker Creek in Knoxville. Much less technical, in fact maybe TOO much less so. Cool trail system, and maybe we didn’t ride the best stuff there but we found it a little bit on the bland side. We’re so spoiled. But again, pretty dang neat trail system for being right in a city.

No pics to speak of from this day. Got a couple at Windrock but they aren’t riding pictures.