Quantcast

Fully padded shorts

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I wear knee and shin guards when I ride, but am always falling on my hips and getting some nasty painful bruises. Are there any shorts out there that have more padding? I know Fox makes a pair. I'm just curious if any of you have tried them? Do they fit under baggies?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
If your baggy shorts have the little velcro tabs on the inside waist band you can just go to a moto shop and buy the hip pads. they work great.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
I've been looking at these. How long are they? Do they vent well in the summer and do they fit under regular baggies?
They come down to about 4"-5" above my knee. They do vent well since the areas without padding are essentially just mesh.

You definitely want to wear regular lycra shorts under these since they have no chamois and are really mesh-like in that area. If your regular baggies have lycra built into them then these probably won't fit under them. I usually have to wear shorts that are 1 size bigger to allow the pads to fit under them.

The pricepoint Sette brand is an exact copy of the more expensive shorts. My friend's Fox shorts and these are identical except for the logo.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
You guys must live some place with cool weather. If I wore spandex and padded shorts and DH shorts, I would turn into liquid butter (I live in So Cal). Hence, the least amount of layers, the better. Plus you don't want any restrictions of movement, either.

I personally suggest padded shorts without a butt pad for downhill. I only use a butt pad if we are going to be doing long rides with a lot of pedaling (hence the need to sit down). If we are doing strickly DH, I don't sit down enough to need it.

Take a look at what Crash Pads, Inc. has to offer. They have several different options. http://crash-pads.com/intro.aspx?dept=bike

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
They come down to about 4"-5" above my knee. They do vent well since the areas without padding are essentially just mesh.

You definitely want to wear regular lycra shorts under these since they have no chamois and are really mesh-like in that area. If your regular baggies have lycra built into them then these probably won't fit under them. I usually have to wear shorts that are 1 size bigger to allow the pads to fit under them.

The pricepoint Sette brand is an exact copy of the more expensive shorts. My friend's Fox shorts and these are identical except for the logo.
Good to know...thanks! That's kind of annoying with having to have a seperate layer for a chamois underneath.