Quantcast

fun at windrock

kykona

Chimp
Oct 11, 2008
so me and my buddy went out to windrock and rode today... pretty fun stuff, sucks I suffered a flat and tore up my seat after hittin a drop on "drop out."

First time we have been riding outside of our local trails so it was pretty neat. Sucks that we couldnt find most of the trails (noone had a clue where they started), but after about a 3 mile hike up the hill we found the entrance to "startin ****" so we rode that, middle finger, snake rock and trail 1 / drop out.

Pretty intense stuff, my buddy was walkin a lot of it, I had to walk through trail one :-X and definitely plan on making another trip out there...

I do have a few questions for you WR vets though. Where are the other trails??? I see all these videos with a wooden road jump, fun downhills and XC section (I like XC too).. The trails we rode were mostly drops and rock gardens with some sketchy berms (decent, just very rutted).

How far up are they / where do they start??? any information to make our next trip better would be great.. thanks!

also, if the WR people read these boards, maybe a better, separate bike map would be a good idea??? 6 dollars for a map I could barely use is bad news :-X .. also, what are the easier trails vs harder trails???

The ones we were on seemed pretty difficult (until you got to the bottom section with the wood berms / small drops)

Last edited:

Wndrckr

Monkey
Nov 10, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Glad to hear you made it down. It's often a challenge for anyone's first trip to WR without someone to show you around. Most of the trails originate at SS and branch off from there. The Windmill trail starts a few minute's drive past SS. There aren't any xc trails in the downhill area although it may look that way at times in the videos.

Post up before your next trip and maybe some locals can show you around. Oh, and Snakerock is generally considered the "easier" trail, but that's all relative.

kykona

Chimp
Oct 11, 2008
yeah, snakerock was definitely a lot easier than the other trails :-X I felt like I was going to die on dropout a little bit lol.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
kykona,

We are in the process in making a XC bike map that will be available from the Snack Shack and the campground check-in. It might be a good time to incorporate the DH trail map as well. Maybe on the other side.

In the past the DH trails were a bit underground and we didn't advertise their location on maps. However, the land manager hopes that we will since more and more folks are showing up to ride bikes there.

As for the DH trails, they all originate from 'Starting Sh!t. Full top-to-bottom runs are:
Southern Rocks/GT 4
Drop Out
Trail 1
Side Hill/Rail Yard
Middle Finger
Snake Rock

There are a few link trails that connect others together:

Z-Cut, Trail 1 Connector, Bed Rock, Twister, Lower Freeride section, etc.

The Windmill Trails (New and Old) start up near the windmills. The start is nearest the overlook off atv Trail 6.

Until we get a map in place, it is best to post up here before your next visit and hookup with a local who can show you all the trails.

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
hey i'm gettin a bike on monday...anyone up for riding there next weekend maybe?

oh yeah...i gotta 16ft trailer i can bring for shuttling if anyone wants to throw in for diesel. i could prolly shuttle 15 people or more and their bikes.

Last edited:

tnmtnbkr

Chimp
Jan 7, 2007
Krazy,
Next weekend may be hit or miss @ WR? On saturday, there is an annual 12hour race being held at another local mountain bike park. Most everyone in K-town that rides period will probably be there to support, race, and PARTY LIKE ROCKSTARS!!!! If I am able to function on Sunday, I'll be @ da ROCK for some DH runs. I am sure I won't be up there before noon, again if I can make it at all. Post something late next week to see if anyone can commit or hold off 'til the WR Fall festival Nov. 15-16

krazydher1

Monkey
Apr 12, 2002
Krazy,
Next weekend may be hit or miss @ WR? On saturday, there is an annual 12hour race being held at another local mountain bike park. Most everyone in K-town that rides period will probably be there to support, race, and PARTY LIKE ROCKSTARS!!!! If I am able to function on Sunday, I'll be @ da ROCK for some DH runs. I am sure I won't be up there before noon, again if I can make it at all. Post something late next week to see if anyone can commit or hold off 'til the WR Fall festival Nov. 15-16

ok sweet deal. i'll just try and come for the fall fest .