Quantcast

Fun Holiday Factoids

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yossarian said:
Don't know streets. right near he's not here, narrow deep place with pizza counter right near the door on the left.

Yeah, I know the place, can't remember the name. Not the same one I'm talking about. Franklin St. is the only street really. He's not here is sort in the middle.

Funny story. I was running sound for a friends band outside at He's not here once when some military jerkoff threw a teargas grenade over the fence into the crowd. It was not a pleasant experience.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
That would be New York Pizza.........man have I ever scarfed some slices from that place. Kinda crazy that I just stumbled into a Chapel Hill conversation. That was completely random...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Greyhound said:
That would be New York Pizza........
That's the one. There was one in Raleigh near State too. I think it was 3.50 for 2 cheese slices and a drink. I ate there almost every other day in grad school.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Greyhound said:
That would be New York Pizza.........man have I ever scarfed some slices from that place. Kinda crazy that I just stumbled into a Chapel Hill conversation. That was completely random...

Actually, this is an annapolis conversation.

Yes NY Pizza it must be. That was the name I had in my head, but wasn't sure if that was their name or just their style. Turns out it is both.

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Echo said:
If I were Crashby I would delete this thread and make another one, hoping people would post Fun Holiday Factoids in it.

Annapolis became connected with the larger world in a major way when the first passenger train departed the city on Christmas Day 1840.

Hows that?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Here's one:

Every year Annapolis celebrates the Holiday season with a boat parade.

Afterwards the seaman converge at the Boat Yard Bar and Grill and compare the size of their lanyards.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Another Christmas factoid or 2:

1. Alabama was the first state to recognize Christmas as an official holiday. This tradition began in 1836.

2. In 1907, Oklahoma became the last US state to declare Christmas a legal holiday.

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
Echo said:
If I were Crashby I would delete this thread and make another one, hoping people would post Fun Holiday Factoids in it.
How dare you insinuate that I would oppress my primate bretheren...

Sir, I challenge you to a duel!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Factoid from today's news:

Food to blame for Christmas fighting

LONDON, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- Sixty percent of British families end up fighting on Christmas Day because of what they eat and drink, food scientists claim.

Helen Conn, a fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, told the Daily Mail the turkey dinner contains high levels of salt and carbohydrates, which help make diners grumpy -- and adding alcohol, caffeine, and the sheer volume of food creates a volatile mix.

"Our review found the traditional Christmas dinner leads to repeated rises and falls in blood sugar levels, which can give rise to feelings of irritability and lead on to arguments later on in the day," she said.

To avoid problems, Conn suggested diners go easy on potatoes and bread stuffing and use unsweetened cranberries.

She also suggested healthier trimmings could include lean bacon wrapped around prunes, and roasted carrots.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
N8 said:
Factoid from today's news:

Food to blame for Christmas fighting

LONDON, Dec. 14 (UPI) -- Sixty percent of British families end up fighting on Christmas Day because of what they eat and drink, food scientists claim.

Helen Conn, a fellow of the Institute of Food Science and Technology, told the Daily Mail the turkey dinner contains high levels of salt and carbohydrates, which help make diners grumpy -- and adding alcohol, caffeine, and the sheer volume of food creates a volatile mix.

"Our review found the traditional Christmas dinner leads to repeated rises and falls in blood sugar levels, which can give rise to feelings of irritability and lead on to arguments later on in the day," she said.

To avoid problems, Conn suggested diners go easy on potatoes and bread stuffing and use unsweetened cranberries.

She also suggested healthier trimmings could include lean bacon wrapped around prunes, and roasted carrots.

They neglect to mention that the Tryptophan is converted to serotonin and melotonin, making you sleepy and satiated.

People fight during the holidays because their relatives are ususally idiots, not because the food is making them irritable.