Quantcast

Fun to drive, AWD, wagon?

nixhexss

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
New York
New car, I think budget is gonna be around 30k-35k. Liking the Forester 2.5xt, manual, 230 horses....but I hear it's somewhat sluggish compared to the legacy 2.5gt wagon, which obviously it's going to be slower than. Legacy looks like poop IMO though, and only comes in an automatic.

Anybody have any ideas out there. Have an suv now, just done with that whole thing, would love a quick car, doesnt' have to be huge, not necesarilly a wagon, was just going that route for all the riding gear. Bikes will be going on the roof, so a hitch is not a necessity.

Saab 9-3 sportcombi is hooooot, but only 2wd :(

Throw some ideas out there if you don't mind. Again, doesn't have to be a wagon, it's just kinda what made the most sense, but I'll have no probem fitting all my stuff in a car, it'll just force me to keep the car even cleaner and neater which is a good thing.

Sep 8, 2004
I have a 2006 forester-XT, I'd hardly call it sluggish. Head down to the dealership and try one out, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised.

-James

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i wouldn t say our 04 xc70 AWD beast (2.5 low pressure turbo) was 'fun' to drive, but it hardly sux... think caddy smooth...

the guy down the road here is sellin his 02 audi allroad... 57K new - goin for 25K... those things are sweet if ya can afford the upkeep / maintainence...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
i wouldn t say our 04 xc70 AWD beast (2.5 low pressure turbo) was 'fun' to drive, but it hardly sux... think caddy smooth...
i drive my mom's 02 xc70 around sometimes and i hate it. it's got plenty of power, but it is way too top heavy and big to handle well. not fun to drive in the least.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
i drive my mom's 02 xc70 around sometimes and i hate it. it's got plenty of power, but it is way too top heavy and big to handle well. not fun to drive in the least.
the 02 and 04 are different cars... sure they handle like a yacht (lots of body roll), but ours spent most of it s short life pegged at 120mph on the autobahn... that was fun... :)

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Volvo V50 AWD T5. I'm pretty sure you can get AWD with out the spendy T5 turbo if you're trying to save a bit of cash.
Also available in a very nice 6sp manual.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Dunno for sure chief but I think the top of the wozzer all bells and whistles version would be 3.5 million yen plus (30,000 GW Bush cocaine enablers)

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Saab 9-3 sportcombi is hooooot, but only 2wd :(
Is it the Saab 9-3 that's almost identical to the subaru impreza? I mean, pretty much the body kit and interior are the only differences. There was something along the lines of that going on with saab and subaru. . .

I used to own an '86 Saab 900. I loved the little beast to death, but after totalling itself (through repairs) more than once, I decided that it was time to donate and get a new car.

I ended up getting a Subaru Outback Impreza Wagon. It's not turbo'd, but it's still fun to drive. The biggest selling point on it, for me, was the AWD, decent gasmileage, and wagonishness of it all. Fuzzy words? Whatever. The non-turboed outbacks are still quick. However, you've got to pull the RPMs a little bit higher if you want to pretend you're a sports car. It's hard to feel okay doing that on a test drive, but you know, you need to do what you need to do.

I'm pretty satisfied with my car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
9-2X is the saabaru. 9-3 is a gm-saab product instead :D

like others above i recommend driving the forester 2.5XT and the LGT wagon. the volvo V50 also looks nice...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
ya, not just 2wd, fwd. "real" saabs are renowned for their torque steer, sadly. read any review of the 9-3 viggen, for example...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Fun to drive wagon? Is that like a "manly mini van"?

I don't know about awd, but the only wagon I have ever driven that I thought about buying was a Volvo 850 GLT many years ago (2000 I think it was).

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
dodge makes the magnums in AWD. Theose are sweet. They may all be auto's though, not sure on that part

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the magnum/300c is most definitely auto only. :( sad, since the srt8 shows some promise otherwise...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
the magnum/300c is most definitely auto only. :( sad, since the srt8 shows some promise otherwise...
My buddy bought an RT and even though it's an auto, it is a blast to drive (I must admit). Also, he had it loaded to the max and on his drive from Arizona to Oregon, he got 26 mpg! I have to say, a Hemi that gets 26 mpg is as close to heaven as you can get!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mmm, that is a nice car. does the A3 come in awd, too? DSG + smaller wagon would be fun, i imagine

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
cough audi S4 avant cough
I second this one... you might be able to find a used 2004 in the $35K range. Nothing like the sound of a V-8. Grocery-getter that can smoke MANY cars on the road. :D

My brother had the sedan which was a blast to drive.... ALMOST as fun as his new RS4.

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
Ummmmmmm............ uhhhhhhhhhhh................ BOING! :)
....sorry to derail for a moment...

Yeah - there's a certain amount of latitude given when it comes to sibling disdain, but his new car has brought my dislike of him to entirely new levels. :disgust: His son shares my sentiment. :biggrin:

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
We just bought a 2003 Forester and we love it. It's quick and feels nice and nimble. I need to buy a bike rack for it but for now there's enough room with the seats down to throw it in the back :)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
....sorry to derail for a moment...

Yeah - there's a certain amount of latitude given when it comes to sibling disdain, but his new car has brought my dislike of him to entirely new levels. :disgust: His son shares my sentiment. :biggrin:

For the love of God don't let Manhattanprkjt230762039619076412309761 anywhere near that car. He'll rub one out on it. :D

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I second this one... you might be able to find a used 2004 in the $35K range. Nothing like the sound of a V-8. Grocery-getter that can smoke MANY cars on the road. :D
QUOTE]

I have seen used on craigslist for under 30k. I would take the twin turbo 6cyl over the V8. WAY more potential for more power. I'm thinking in the next year or so trading/selling my A4 avant for an S4 one.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
We just bought a 2003 Forester and we love it. It's quick and feels nice and nimble. I need to buy a bike rack for it but for now there's enough room with the seats down to throw it in the back :)
I have a Forester as well and could not recommend it more for someone who wants something functional for everday driving, bad weather, sun, rain, snow and mtb trips. Mine has been across the country a few times, spent 3 months driving on backroads in Idaho and the last 4 weeks all over Colorado.

The only problem is that I wouldn't call it "fun" exactly in the standard version. Never driven the XT, but I'm sure it would cure the mild acceleration of the regular model.