Quantcast

FUNCTION, function what your conjuction

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
what the hell is up with this inverse function ****!? any body know how to do inverse funstions in their calculator? e.g.

what the inverse of f(x)=1/2x-4, and how do you graph both of them in the ti-83??? wtf, these are dumb. i understand that f(x) means Y... help

:confused: as usuall.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
wow, all i can hope for is that he doesnt check the homework tomorrow. yeah, i have class on saturday. arent you jealouse. :mad:

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
ok, thanks for looking though, i think im guna go see him for extra help. hes a ****ing drop out engineer. :angry:

bodycheck131

Chimp
Oct 14, 2004
It crosses at (o,-4) on the graph and the line goes up and to the right, I don;t know how to graph that though on a calculator.

Feb 14, 2004
SoCal
Plug the original into the y1 space and the inverse function into the y2. Then hit graph and it'll graph and I believe you wanna find the intersection? Well too bad, I started losing intrest and falling asleep after that...

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
I just find the inverse of the function and then enter that equation.

Make it y=x, then switch x and y and solve for y.
For example, if f(x)=10x+5, make it y=10x+5, then x=10y+5, and solve for y. In this case, 1/f(x)=(x-5)/10. Do you follow?

Graphically, the inverse is the original function, reflected across the x-axis. good luck with your homework!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
oh i get it. i think thats what my teacher was trying to explain. i dont know why some teachers just suck at teaching. so when i switch it around and solve, that is the equation that i would plug in for Y2= on my calculator?

Tully

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
Seattle, WA
Exactly. Just make it x=...y... and solve for y, and the new equation is the inverse. I don't think the TI-83 has an inverse feature (and even if it does, you don't really need it, anyway).

skeletor

Chimp
Mar 22, 2004
STORE.
if u graph the original equasion, you can graph the inverse on paper by just flipping around the x and y coords. so like if u have (3,8) as a point on the original equasion, just graph (8,3) on paper.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well, if you think that's bad i suggest you get through as much AP math as possible in high school before going to college.

oh, is it (1/2x)-4 or 1/(2x-4)?