Quantcast

FUNCTIONAL chainguide that allows sprocket stalls??

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Doesn't help that I'm doin 'em on an AS-X with the elevated chainstays, but there HAS to be a chainguide out there I can use and still be able to smash into the ledges that I can't hop up, and pull off a few grinds as well. And yes, I am fully aware of the fact that there are better bikes out there for this purpose. Had them, used them, this is more fun!
The E13 SRS isn't bad, but I'm still gonna smash up that lower guide.
I need something like the Truvativ box guide, but one that wraps around like the entire front half of the rings so I don't need a lower roller or guide. I can make one, weld aluminum every now and then, but it's going to be noisy and I'm not sure how much work I want to go through and have it not quite do the job when I can buy one that's already proven. Anyone know of something trick out there?

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
If you are doing a disaster properly then you will not hit the lower part of a chainguide. Learn to do it properly before you learn to hack a trick.

And actually the e.thirteen STS (Street Trail Security) was actually designed with this type of riding in mind. It has a good ammount more material to increase strength and is actually more compact than the SRS chain retention system for when the rider makes a mistake and slips onto the lower part of the guide.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
:stupid: The question begs to be asked...why on an AS-X? I'm not harshing on what you prefer to ride, just wondering. I beat the hell out of my bmx bike doing disasters...dents in the sproket, crankarms...even a few on the downtube. :dead:

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Dude, don't be afraid, just go to tire. Abubaca in stead of sprocket stalling, and manual instead of grinding. Not only can you go faster but it's cheaper and way cooler. You're riding a MTB, not a BMX. If you want to grind, buy a BMX, a skate board, or a bench grinder.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, apparently SOME of you aren't getting it... I'm not trying to do a "trick" I'm trying to get up ledges that I can't bunny hop up. Like our favorite that sits juuust under 4'. Obviously I would rather go to tire, but try as I may, I can't get it up there. And I mean C'mon! 4' is friggin huge, no matter who you are. I usually end up with really pissed off arms the next morning just getting it to sprocket.
And even if i did do a "disaster" properly (eyeroll), I'm not fakey-ing back off, I'm pedal rolling my tank up over the ledge, so the lower guide would, and DOES get munched.
Why an AS-X? Actually, other than it being a boinger bike, it's perfect for urban! Steep angles(except for the 888!), and elevated chainstays. Don't cry when you see me gringing an AS-X, there isn't a scratch on it. But the deraileurs and E13 bash are a little grumpy with me.
Why an AS-X? I've had P-bikes, an Evil Imperial, A Dirtbag, BMX bikes since I was 6, a Le Toy III for 4 days, and several DS-1s... and I 've come to this conclusion: I can afford several moderatley built bikes, or one fully pimp'd do-it-all rig. Besides, I was never good at any of the slow, techy stunts, and everything we do on the streets is becoming faster and more aggresive, so we really have no need for hardtails. Found out I was actually hurting myself more by spending the 1st half of each ride reaquainting myself with a different bike, than I was by just using one rig. I can do nearly everything i need to do on my AS-X, and let's be honst, it's waaay cool seeing a bike on 2.7s, 888s, and a swingarm doing urban than those jittery little trials bikes. That, and I can warm up with urban, then go blast down a mountain face and only get more comfortable on my bike.
This isn't a matter of money, not that I'm rich or anything, but I've got stockpiles of deraileurs, an account strictly for replacing busted parts, and I'm not afraid to trash a frame. But I doubt that will happen.
Mostly because it's fun to hear all the street guys say "Oh, you'll never be able to do that on a big-bike!" Pftttttt.

And IronJim??? You've completely missed the point. I've got bashguards. Actually, I've got a LOT of bashgaurds! I've even got dual rings, but occasionally, at the worst possible times, i've chucked a chain. Don't want to worry about that. That's all.