Quantcast

$$$$ Funky Friday Appreciation Thread$$$$

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Considering buying an alibayexpress crankset for the TT bike...one of the few that gives me short cranks, mid compact, and somewhat BB86 appropriate

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
:wave:

Posting in this thread cause it passes the vibe check.

Waiting for a vehicle inspection. Only 3 months late, but its a good reminder why I put it off for so long.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
heyo

shit. i need to do that. but need to replace cracked windshield first.
that reminds me that I should hunt down a mobile windshield replacement company and get the Land Cruiser's windshield replaced. Linear crack across the base spanning two separate rock hits. Not in my field of view but should do it.

/me e-biked in this morning and was dressed just right for the conditions :)

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
What it do, holmes. Got my Friday swim done before work. I've got a half marathon tomorrow morning and the weather looks like shit. So, I'll race it as best I can but I don't expect to hit any time goals. I was hoping to run under 90 minutes.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:wave:

Friday. Hopefully I can get out of here a little early.

Maybe I'm just getting annoyed at everything lately, but god damn, I swear no one reads or listens to anything anymore.

I opened an internal ticket yesterday, which contained 3 lines of info. They take a day to process it and then ask me a question and pause the ticket......the answer to which is one of those 3 pieces of info. I mean come on, save us all some time and just read the ticket.

Also opened a case with Microsoft the other day. The guy calls me while I'm driving this morning and asks if I have time to speak. I say yeah I"M JUST DRIVING AT THE MOMENT but sure I have ten minutes. Dude pauses and then asks if I can share my screen on Teams with him. <insert confused face>

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Fritter Friday should be a good one. Glad to have survived another week. Still feels a bit overwhelming and I feel like I'm somehow behind, but that's just me. Ready to get this hot mess of a day done!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here is a question for the monkeys.

I spotted a SRAM SX Eagle 12x1 group set on Alibaba for stupid cheap. I'm not sure if it's because it's direct from the actual manufacturer, or if it's somehow fake. I know in golf counterfeit crap is everywhere and making something like a putter that looks like a fancy putter is pretty easy, but how is something like this feasible? Or are these groups hella cheap at cost?

Screenshot_20230324-064609.png

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You should order 2. Worst case you have a credit card dispute to deal with.

sunringlerider

Turbo Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
Corn Fields of Indiana

I spotted a SRAM SX Eagle 12x1 group set on Alibaba for stupid cheap. I'm not sure if it's because it's direct from the actual manufacturer, or if it's somehow fake. I know in golf counterfeit crap is everywhere and making something like a putter that looks like a fancy putter is pretty easy, but how is something like this feasible? Or are these groups hella cheap at cost?

View attachment 191418
That’s probably not that far off on a SX group. I am a Sram “fan boy” and I wouldn’t take an SX group if you gave it to me.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

View attachment 191418
Alibaba.... counterfeit....

:busted:

I mean even if its counterfeit, I don't see how it would be any worse than the actual SX group.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

View attachment 191418
Yeah, avoid that.

I believe generally speaking with the SRAM stuff you probably don't want below GX level.

(SX > NX > GX > X01 > XX1)

Same as Shimano you don't want below Deore level.

(Deore > SLX > XT > XTR, Zee and Saint mix in there too on the higher end)

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Here. Hoping to kart after work with Haley.

Didn't take my drugs until later this am and got completely sidetracked doing stupid shit, almost forgot to take Haley to orchestra. Guess the drugs are starting to work, when it's noticable that I haven't taken them. Also taught a class yesterday, same as I taught last week, that somehow took me 15min longer for the same material. Group was way more involved than prior. When I listened to the two recordings, my speed was about 20% slower. I've noticed that I've been able to slow down when talking with people, which I think helped a lot in this case. We shall see, but I seem to be seeing benefits.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Sing it with me know, people….”Leaving…on a jet plane…”
Dont know when I”ll be back again?

Getting a 2nd call on that job at 11am. I need a Haircut and Shave.

I always wanted to have that old school shave,hot towel,white foam and Razor. Never had one,but then again I have never had a massage.

I used to watch my Father shave when I was a little boy. He would always take his two hands and tap each of my cheeks with after shave when he was done. I miss my Father.

Avy

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yeah, avoid that.

I believe generally speaking with the SRAM stuff you probably don't want below GX level.

(SX > NX > GX > X01 > XX1)

Same as Shimano you don't want below Deore level.

(Deore > SLX > XT > XTR, Zee and Saint mix in there too on the higher end)
I might be cheap, but I would also avoid 12spd stuff cause paying premium for a cassette that is a wear item is ludicrous. Unless you actually need the full range.

Also read somewhere that the 2023 NX stuff got some trickle down upgrade that makes it not to shitty.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Alibaba.... counterfeit....

:busted:
Is it really, though? It seems like it would take a lot of work to make fake drivetrain parts. Not saying it isn't possible, just seems unlikely.

I know there are "fake" Nikes made alongside real Nikes that just don't pay Nike for them.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Absolute bananas at work trying to get everything in order/complete for the Q1 launch of the products I've been working on for 4 years. Stress levels high.

On the bright side, my boss sent a message saying "why we put up with the bullshit"......apparently the stock option reward I got last year on top of my annual bonus wasn't just last year, as I got it again this year and now at 15%. This pleases me.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I might be cheap, but I would also avoid 12spd stuff cause paying premium for a cassette that is a wear item is ludicrous. Unless you actually need the full range.

Also read somewhere that the 2023 NX stuff got some trickle down upgrade that makes it not to shitty.
Fair point.

If I lived 7000 ft lower and my climbs weren't an hour+ long I'd happily still rock 11 speed stuff. I like to have the option of my 52 bailout though at times :D

(fat bike is still 28t with 10-42 11spd and hardtail is 36/26 with 10-42 11 spd)

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I really should start working, but I continue to scour teh intarwebs for a replacement shock. Fox Float X2 showered me with oil-foam last night..."everyone" warned me about that shock, but did I listen?

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
And failed inspection for window tint. Same window tint I've had for the past 3 years, all of which passed. The lightest tint offered (at the time) that enabled me to get ceramic coating. :mad:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Is it really, though? It seems like it would take a lot of work to make fake drivetrain parts. Not saying it isn't possible, just seems unlikely.
not necessarily fake, but possibly doesn't pass QC checks and would otherwise be scrapped. lots of ways it could be counterfeit.

not the only area either

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
And failed inspection for window tint. Same window tint I've had for the past 3 years, all of which passed. The lightest tint offered (at the time) that enabled me to get ceramic coating. :mad:
My state only does DEQ emissions and my podunk town doesn't even do that. You should see the shitboxes we have driving around town. :rofl: