Quantcast

funky new lahar (carbon exoticness)

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
LaharDesign said:
xy9ine said:
is the rohloff a standard bolt-axle unit, or do you do some special mods? (ie, could a customer toss in one they had kicking around). i'm assuming the drive cog is somehow bolted to the hub flange.

pretty easy home conversion for the Rohloff.
cool. i sent you an email with a gaggle of questions (via the addy on your website) - did you receive it?

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
looks beef in there. i bet it would take quite a few hits.
but my coffin had a similar setup and i hit it a lot.

XGrantX

Chimp
Apr 23, 2006
People really need to the the frame compressed. so they understand that part actually moves up out of the way when you are riding.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Haha, good old Lava flow, nice trail, perfect for testing a big bike, not much smooth ground down there! :D

Lahars look pimp in the flesh people, way better than any photo Ive seen.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
The bike is awesome, but it is definitely the ugliest bike that i have ever seen. Just my opinion although alot of you guys seem to like it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I knew there was something that I wanted to ask. It looks like it's running a 32T chainring. I thought for sure on the Rohloff website, I read you couldn't run a chainring that was smaller than a 34T for a frame mounted gear hub. Possibly because it puts too much stress on the internals of the hub once you start cranking down on the pedals? Anyone know anything about this? I just tried looking for that info on the site and I can't find it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
the gear ratio change between the rohloff & rear wheel (24t to18t) produces the equivalent output gearing (if it was a conventional arrangement) to a ~42t chainring. does it make sense that this effectively reduces the torque on the rohloff? hmmm. i have heard people using smaller rings on conventional bikes without problem regardless. i think rohloff is just covering their collective ass - in case some masher tries climbing walls with 24t granny & breaks something. any significant stress the hub is going to see will be in the lowest gears anyways, and i'm sure most lahars won't see alot of hours pounding up steep xc climbs.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
thats correct. you could run a smaller if you planned on spinning a lot.
but it loads the hub and might cause failure.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
I knew there was something that I wanted to ask. It looks like it's running a 32T chainring. I thought for sure on the Rohloff website, I read you couldn't run a chainring that was smaller than a 34T for a frame mounted gear hub. Possibly because it puts too much stress on the internals of the hub once you start cranking down on the pedals? Anyone know anything about this? I just tried looking for that info on the site and I can't find it.

When you have a frame mounted gear hub, you have two chain force components due to the twin chains. While they're not parallel (almost perpendicular in this and most cases) the two chain force components do add up to be substantially larger than any equivalent single chain force (though it varies with what gear you're in) for any given total chainring-to-rear-wheel-cog ratio (disregarding the gear that the actual gearbox/hub is in). Whilst I would have thought that the factors of safety and design loads would have totally encompassed the extra load a second chain can put on a hub (ie they're covering their arses), it DOES provide more load than a standard setup.