Quantcast

Funn Mamba pedals??

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Anybody ridden these? I'm on XTR Trails with Teva Pivots right now which I am happy with for the most part..my only complaint is sometimes on long descents my foot will cramp mostly due to all my weight being on the cleat...I tried some Mallet DH's the other day and they were awful...I don't run very much spring tension and I'll run worn cleats allot longer than most people would..I tried moving the cleats around and shimming them but I couldn't get comfortable unclipping.. I want to stay with an SPD compatible pedal...I was interested in the HT's but reading the review it seems like it's going to provide more of a locked in feeling than I'm looking for...Anybody ridden the FUNN's? seems like it's pretty much a Mallet with an SPD but I've never ridden a non Shimano SPD...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/funn-mamba-two-side-clip-mtb-pedals/rp-prod122714?gs=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwm-aqBRD39YPqhbzthzYSJACFj-AtzcMTt2cFu61wvG8IvLFzFI7TANNUK63LfPpI72cF2BoCbjjw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
the cleat body is part of the pedal in this design , most have the body separate and it can rotate independent from the pedal body , i,m curious on how the design works looking to try clips again

DirtMerchant

Chimp
Apr 17, 2014
I was expecting the FUNNs and the HT X1s to be carbon copies, their not!

I have no experience with either.:banana:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I run these on my trail and DH bikes. No complaints really. I had tried crank brothers in the past but it seemed any time I clipped a rock (I clip lots of rocks) with my pedal the damn spring would break and I'd be left with an unclippless pedal for the remainder of my ride.

These seem to hold up very well (both pairs are a full season old now) and other than the plastic body/platform developing a little play, the clips and the pedals themselves are still fully functional. I don't know if it is any stiffer but I'm also wearing the shimano am45 clipless shoe.

Plus, both the shoes and pedals can be found dirt cheap.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I wonder if the shoe, and it's fairly flexible sole, are the culprit more than the pedal?
I used to ride with Xc style shoes and def prefer the teva
:stupid:

I have XTR trails on a few bikes, with Sidi Dominators and they're awesome.
I've had foot cramps with all the shoes I've ridden with...they were actually worse with my old shimano xc shoes..
I sold my sidi's after a few rides...too stiff for my liking....now that I'm used to the Tevas I prefer them to my old shimano shoes and want to find a pedal that works well with them...they were designed around the mallet dh so I figure that funn pedal is similar enough....Ive done the shimano dx thing for years and I did like them but I figure if Im going to ditch the xtr trails for a bigger platform is might as well be a big platform...I figure 90% of pro dh'ers cant be wrong...

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
I used to get cramping in my feet after long descents w/ Sidi's. Ditched the Sidi's and run the TIME platform MX8's now with no issues. They have a bit more float then other pedals and are super durable. You can find the TIME's pretty cheap online as another +

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I used to get cramping in my feet after long descents w/ Sidi's. Ditched the Sidi's and run the TIME platform MX8's now with no issues. They have a bit more float then other pedals and are super durable. You can find the TIME's pretty cheap online as another +

90% of pro's are on these pedals?
I meant Mallets...but I dont like the mechanism...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

mallets ( crank bros design in general) took me some time to get used to - this was after ~10 or so years of riding SPD exclusively. first ride i absolutely hated them. i gave them a few more tries and eventually i got them figured out, and i like them for all the extra float and the fact that it's a progressive release as opposed to a hard release (like spd). that being said, i still use SPD as well.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Is this 90% statistic able to be validated somewhere? :P

I do like the idea of the bigger platform on the mallet and the funn's, but I can't get over how many crank brothers pedals I broke. I'm with you, I don't like the mechanism either, I also unlike jonkranked don't like the "float" feel of the crank brothers or the release, I actually prefer the on off feel of the shimano's

I like the look of those funn's, but I can't get over the twice as much as the cheap shimano's that are working for me part.

I guess my point is that at the end of the day, we all have different opinions, needs, requirements, etc. so good luck :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I also unlike jonkranked don't like the "float" feel of the crank brothers or the release, I actually prefer the on off feel of the shimano's
for trail riding i also use a 4-cross frame with 26" wheels and a joplin dropper post in addition to crank bros pedals and a sunline handlebar. this thing is so unrideable i'm surprised it hasn't killed me.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
for trail riding i also use a 4-cross frame with 26" wheels and a joplin dropper post in addition to crank bros pedals and a sunline handlebar. this thing is so unrideable i'm surprised it hasn't killed me.
holy shit, a sunline handlebar!!

It should be noted I used a specialized stem, and seat on a non specialized bike. Unrideable as well.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Another option.... I've been riding the VP VX pedals (VX Adventure Race) on my trail bike with solid results. They make three models with varying platform sizes (the Adventure being the largest), and then a lower end and higher end (Race) model, with weight (minimal) and bearing/etc differences.

http://www.jensonusa.com/VP-VX-Adventure-Race-Pedals

$60 currently @Jenson.

At first, with new Specialized MTB Comps, the tolerance was a bit tight between the sole and platform areas, making it awkward to unclip, but those have loosened up after a bit. Really enjoying them after years of Shimano 530-style pedals, the platform feels great. A buddy just switched to them this past weekend with good report back and a 2nd place finish in his class @NWCup round. YMMV.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Another option.... I've been riding the VP VX pedals (VX Adventure Race) on my trail bike with solid results. They make three models with varying platform sizes (the Adventure being the largest), and then a lower end and higher end (Race) model, with weight (minimal) and bearing/etc differences.

http://www.jensonusa.com/VP-VX-Adventure-Race-Pedals

$60 currently @Jenson.

At first, with new Specialized MTB Comps, the tolerance was a bit tight between the sole and platform areas, making it awkward to unclip, but those have loosened up after a bit. Really enjoying them after years of Shimano 530-style pedals, the platform feels great. A buddy just switched to them this past weekend with good report back and a 2nd place finish in his class @NWCup round. YMMV.
I like those VP's, and I've had great luck with VP pedals in the past. (Just rebuilt....errrrrr supervised my 9 year old son, rebuilding a pair so he could swap them onto his DH rig)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Just picked some up...they seem well made and arnt as obscenely heavy as I'd imagined...
The platform is huge but it definitely provides allot of support...the one thing I dont like it the pins arnt adjustable...I havent had to deal with shin lacerations from pedal pins for over a decade so Im not looking forward to that again...I was planning on running the pins pretty low...
They dont have a ton of spring tension so these wouldnt be a good choice for someone who blows out of pedals allot..I had to put fresh cleats on some new teva pivots..it wasnt secure enough with the old cleats I was running on my xtr trails..

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Im sorry to say but these things are pretty much unrideable...

When you move your heal outwards you have a regular release angle that feels similar to a shimano pedal...when you move your heal inwards towards the crankarm it releases in a few mm of heal movement...I dont even understand how that is possible as the mechanism is symmetrical..I tried using max spring tension, moving the cleats..different cleats/different shoes etc etc...basically everytime you turn hard your inside foot unclips...the real problem is when launching off something..unless you dead sailor everything you are coming unclipped everytime you move the bike under you..pretty lame

demonprec

Monkey
Nov 12, 2004
Whonnock BC Canada
i could not find the Funn pedals so picked up some HT X1,s and i am liking them alot so far only have 3 rides on them and just switched back to clipless pedals for the 1st since 2003 or so .