Quantcast

Funniest Thing That Has Ever Happened

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I wasn't raised by fanatical win-at-all-costs parents. But I still played to win, cause that's what you do. The entire theory of non-competitive competition is dumb. It makes me sick. "Oh, we're not keeping score..." Parents and coaches might not, but even when I played t-ball when I was 6, the kids for damn sure kept score...And I still remember this! Go play f*cking kickball with yourself and your kid and try not to hurt his feelings when daddy can kick the ball harder....

I played all through jr. high and high school, usually at the varsity level no matter what sport it was. And if I didn't kick someones ass, I got mine kicked, and that wasn't fun....

Now when I go out for a national race and have my ass handed to me, I get the same attitude this kid showed. I ride more, I work at it. The end result is me doing a little better each and every time.

To put up a fuss over this, when the kid himself shows that this makes him want to work harder, is the most retarded thing ever.

What kind of sissy, nincompoop, suburbanized nation we are becoming.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
I heard it on the radio.

The term "non-competive" is a bit misleading. Sure they keep score and have a championship, but that's supposed to come second to teamwork, fun, and learning the game.
a championship in a non-competitive league is about the dumbest idea i've heard

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I'm with BS on this one. True self-esteem is earned with sweat equity, realistic self-assessment and tenacious, unfettered competition. The supposedly injured party appears to be the only one aware of that fact, despite his tender age and condition. Trying to fool kids into believing that they are better at something than they really are merely sets them up for a much harder fall later in life. Raising children to be non-competitive in a competitive world is like raising a pet from infancy indoors then dropping it off in the wilderness as an adult and expecting that it will be able to survive on its own.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I remember one of the parents got her kid in a local video talking about kids staying active. They had her son jumping rope, running, etc; but the voice-over recommended non-competitive activities.

The head coach of the all-star team and I had a big chuckle, considering that kid was playing in most competitive league possible.