Quantcast

Funny drama unfolding on the emm tee bee arrr

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I was browsing the Facebook earlier today when I noticed that our local mountain bike advocacy group (sorba) posted a link to a stolen bike thread on MTBR. Well...I immediately recognized one of the "stolen" bikes.

The thread was started by a bike shop employee who thought my friend (who is a fvcking college professor) was a sketchy crackhead. Turns out he thought the two bikes my friend brought into their shop for service were stolen and he's trying to find the rightful owners.

The first bike listed was previously owned by me and JeremyR before that. And the 2nd bike my friend just picked up from a dude who was going to pawn it. I thought it would be funny to try and claim the bikes to see if they would give them to me.

Anyone got any ideas on how to fvck with this crap bike shop before we go back in and reclaim the bikes? Calling out your customers on a public forum is no way to run a business.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=640567

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
point the owner of the shop to the post, or the owner of the bikes, or both.
Pretty sure that IS the owner of the shop that started the thread. And my buddy is all over this...we're trying to figure out how to use this to our advantage before he goes back in there.

He was pretty pissed but I told him that this is an awesome opportunity.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How about you update the post on MTBR to save you buddy a lot of hassle, and to make this guy eat crow. Shove it down his throat that he has no idea who the person is, and to not make gross assumptions on people.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Pretty sure that IS the owner of the shop that started the thread. And my buddy is all over this...we're trying to figure out how to use this to our advantage before he goes back in there.

He was pretty pissed but I told him that this is an awesome opportunity.
Ok, as long as he realizes this is a perfect opportunity for shenanigans :thumb:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Or since I built the bike, I could call the owner and claim it and go pick it up.
He would not be suspicious as I could tell him specific parts like that the red headset is a cane creek solos headset, and what hubs are on the bike etc.....
Then turn around and show back up with the owner 30 minutes later and a TV camera.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Or since I built the bike, I could call the owner and claim it and go pick it up.
He would not be suspicious as I could tell him specific parts like that the red headset is a cane creek solos headset, and what hubs are on the bike etc.....
Then turn around and show back up with the owner 30 minutes later and a TV camera.
Winner!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I say burn the shop to the ground in the middle of the night, then laugh about it later on MTBR. Or start a false account as Loco and admit to doing it.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Do that!!! Win!

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this shop employee seems like a total jerk-off. id love to go in there and see his douchebag reaction when he finds out its really your friend's bike

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:thumb::thumb:
DO IT!!!!!

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
...The first bike listed was previously owned by me and JeremyR before that.
Dude JeremyR's bikes get around, what hizores.. He should be happy to know that the Demo8 got a good thrashing in SS last weekend. The dust collection will not continue..

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
so update!!!! whats with the guy claiming that someone called about the transition?

i love watching a good "to catch a predator" go down like this... hehehehe

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
So the owner of the shop is putting one of his customers on blast on emptybeer just because he assumes that the guy who brought the bikes in, doesn't seem to be the kind of guy to own such awesome bikes???

Burn him at the stake, report him to the BBB, make sure to take screen caps of the thread lest he try to delete it, patronize him with as little patronage as possible.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
so update!!!! whats with the guy claiming that someone called about the transition?

i love watching a good "to catch a predator" go down like this... hehehehe
I'm not sure what's going on with that. Like I said, he bought it off some dude who was going to pawn so I dunno. The other bike, however, is definitely passed from me.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I did notice that you've been on MTBR member since 2007, and that you have a grand total of 1 post. Your using them wisely it seems, :thumb:

Someone needs to call on the Enduro with all the details claiming its theirs.
I had an account before, I think it was Acadian or someone who actually told me about RM. But it was inactive, so they deleted it. :rofl:

<edit> I'm RM #456

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Keep us updated! Take pics.
Ok - so the story took kind of a crazy turn that I wasn't expecting. So all my buddy told me was that he bought the Transition off some dude that was pawning it - which is the truth. He was actually in the pawn shop down the street from the bike shop and AFTER the pawn guys did their research and agreed to buy it, he offered the sellers a little more for it. Then he took it in.

Turns out that the Transition WAS stolen at some point and now they won't give him back the bike that I sold him and they're being total dicks. They told him that he couldn't find get his Specialized back (again, the one that I owned for a year and sold him) and to "never show his face" around there again. :eek:

Anyway, needless to say he definitely didn't steal the bike. Trust me when I say he doesn't need to resort to such things - he's a fvcking business professor and makes plenty of money.

Oh, one more twist. I typed the number from MTBR in my cell to call and let them know that the bike was previously mine and turns out that the number is in my contacts and is a guy named "John." I think I met him one day at a local riding spot. Stay tuned for more fun...:thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Wow - what a ridiculous day. Here's the exciting conclusion:
- My buddy bought a stolen bike from some dude at a pawn shop.
- Original owner was contacted by bike shop and was incredibly stoked to have his bike back.
- Apologies abound between bike shop and my friend...he'll get back his bike tomorrow.

:thumb:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I notice "bikehick" fails to mention over at MTBR that at least one of those bikes was legit.
Yeah I talked to him in person. He's a pretty chill guy and I met him out on the trail once. He was apologetic for the crap my buddy had to go through but adamant that he did the right thing. I think everyone (including my buddy who is out $$$) is glad that the stolen bike was returned.