Quantcast

Funny hiker enounter

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
In an autoloader, anything smaller than a 10mm would be foolhardy to squeeze off into a black bear.
Im not TOO familiar with bears, but Im fairly certain if I unloaded a clip of .22s into one's face it would run away. They dont even like bells.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Im not TOO familiar with bears, but Im fairly certain if I unloaded a clip of .22s into one's face it would run away. They dont even like bells.
If you hit one of the cranial cavities(nasal, etc.), you might get lucky...but a .22 is SUCH a lightweight wimpy round(as you know) that anything less than a bearseye would probably incite an unfriendly response. I'd feel much more secure with a 12GA, a 30-06 or a .44mag. Either way, I'm not shootin' unless he's chargin'. Why tempt fate, ya know?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sheesh alot of people scared of critters.

If you get killed by a critter it's more than likely going to be a deer. After you hit it on the road and you careen and crash to your doom.

i guess people always have to have this sense of ultimate control. Anticipating an attack that will never happen unless you're extremely unlucky. Fact is that people are animals too, and we're frikking pussies. But we should be smart enough to understand that the main rule is animals want their space and not be threatened.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Sheesh alot of people scared of critters.
Only the ones that could eat me.

If you get killed by a critter it's more than likely going to be a deer. After you hit it on the road and you careen and crash to your doom.
True...and it's almost happened several times.

i guess people always have to have this sense of ultimate control. Anticipating an attack that will never happen unless you're extremely unlucky. Fact is that people are animals too, and we're frikking pussies. But we should be smart enough to understand that the main rule is animals want their space and not be threatened.
"See the animal in his cage that you built
Are you sure what side you're on?
Better not look him too closely in the eye
Are you sure what side of the glass you are on?
See the safety of the life you have built
Everything where it belongs
Feel the hollowness inside of your heart
And it's all
Right where it belongs."

Quite correct. No matter where I am or who I'm with, I like to be able to take care of business should the need arise no matter how unlikely. I'd like to not "go quietly into that goodnight" when I can ensure raucous kicking & screaming for a few hundred measly clams.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Sounds like this guy was just trying to scare the girl into feeling comforted by his big sword. :brows:

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Man... I still say that Black Bears can't be predictable. You never know.

Like I said earlier Jesse Whitsell a DH pro from back in the day who recently got back into the DH scene had a Black Bear charge him from off the course. This was at the Diablo Domination Race, Round 2. The scary thing, was that he had no idea - he never saw the bear coming - only some spectators from the base saw the bear. Lucky for him he was haulin' ass.

...that's seriously fu@ked up though.

My granfather used to hunt in Alaska back in the 50's and 60's and he told me that the only thing good enough to stop a bear - any bear is a high-powered rifle. Nothing smaller than a 30.06...

Hope the new Diablo Trail Patrol is strapped next year...:(