Quantcast

Funny local news story about a real live Grinch

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
There is this really affluent area nearby and one of the home owners there would do this outrageous Christmas display every year that would attract literally over 100,000 people. He'd serve cookies and cocoa, collected toys for Toys for Tots (and would match the donations himself) and this neighbor got really pissed off and tired of the traffic, so he fought for years with the city council and finally got them to pass an ordinance. Anyway, the story's below, but what the guy did was, he had a Hollywood prop company make him a 10 foot Grinch, and that is the only thing on his lawn this year...it plays the song You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch and the thing moves and lifts its arm to point at the neighbor who was bitching about it...hysterical...by the way...this guys mansion takes up almost a block...beautiful home.

News story:

SAN JOSE, Calif. - More than 100,000 revelers have journeyed each holiday season from around the San Francisco Bay area to behold Alan and Bonnie Aerts' spectacular Christmas display in Monte Sereno, Calif. - a surfing Santa, a petting zoo, dazzling lights and much, much more.
This year, there'll be none of that. Just a large, lonely, custom-made animated Grinch that points and plays, "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch."

The 10-foot-tall singing Grinch is a humorous slap at the Monte Sereno City Council for passing an ordinance that Alan Aerts thinks will make the wildly popular Christmas extravaganza undoable. So he's not doing it.

"It's my quiet, little `This is what I think of your policy,'" Aerts said. "And if it happens to point at a certain neighbor's house, so be it."

That neighbor is one of those who was sick of the holiday traffic and people jams on their otherwise serene cul-de-sac.

"I'm delighted," said Le Nguyen, when told there will be no parade of cars on his street this year. He is, by the way, the across-the-street neighbor at whom the Grinch may "accidentally" point. "Finally," he said, "I can enjoy the song `Silent Night, Holy Night,' instead of `Noisy Night, Holy Night.'"

The Christmas jeers started a few years ago when Aerts - an amazingly charitable fellow - began to expand his display to Disney-like dimensions. It became a Toys for Tots drop-off point. And the past two years, he said, it was the top spot in Santa Clara County for donations. The couple also kicked in a matching $5,000 in toys on their own. They also spent more than $7,000 on gourmet cookies and hot cocoa for the visitors.

But those are just some dashes of sugar and spice on the piece de resistance: A moving, blinking, sparkling phantasmagoria of a Christmas display, which prices out at more than $150,000 for the equipment alone.

Here are some of the things you won't see this year. A tranquil Nativity scene. A not-so-tranquil array of life-size dolls singing Christmas carols. Green aliens holding up stockings and meeting Santa. A toy train running down the sidewalk. Giant candy canes lining the driveway.

Oh, and a snow machine.

Although it all sounds like great fun - and it's been featured on regional newscasts around the country as well as NBC's "Weekend Today"- all was not well in Monte Sereno's North Pole south.

The little rich town has about 3,800 well-tended residents. Estimates for the Christmas visitor count the past two years have been 100,000 to 120,000 from Thanksgiving to the day after New Year's.

Quick division, using 100,000 for the number of revelers, shows that 26 times the city's population tramps through the small cul-de-sac during the Christmas season. OK, so maybe you don't have to be a Grinch or even a grump to get tired of that.

"As soon as the sun goes down," Nguyen said, "it's rush-hour traffic, literally bumper-to-bumper. It's just not safe; it's too much. It's something for the city to do in a park, or in San Jose."

By a 3-2 vote, the city council agreed, deciding late last year to force the Aertses - or anyone else, for that matter - to apply for a permit before holding a large-scale event.

Mayor Erin Garner voted against it. "I thought it was appalling that we did what we did," he said recently. "It was an unnecessary obstruction to a good community service that Alan provides. It will be a crying shame if he doesn't put his holiday lights up this year."

Well, he won't.

And for the first time, he didn't decorate for Halloween this year, either. One disappointed family told him they'd driven down from Concord, Calif., to see the lights and trick-or-treat, Aerts said. Others left notes in the mailbox. "Is everybody OK? Is somebody sick in the family?"

Alan and Bonnie Aerts will deck the halls inside their home for Christmas but will not go through the permit process because they feel the city will be too arbitrary in its rules.

Aerts said one councilman, whom he wouldn't name, told him twice that he wouldn't allow the festivities to include the Toys for Tots drop-off or the free cookies and hot cocoa - which provides a chance for the family to mingle with the visitors.

This season, the Aertses will simply continue to concentrate on their charitable works - which are considerable. Alan Aerts has done well for himself in his many businesses, which include a Pepsi franchise and a vending machine company. But he and his wife also devote scores of hours to charities - and donate, he estimates, half of their income to them. Last year, they donated all of their business income.

Still, good works do not get one a special Christmas decorations dispensation, especially if it attracts thousands of cars during the course of the season.

So, for Councilman Mark Brodsky, the decision to regulate was fairly clear: "It's simple," he said. "I work very hard. When I come home at the end of the day exhausted, I would be shocked if my neighbors had turned my neighborhood into Disneyland, if there were 26,000 cars on my court. It's just too much."

J

JRB

dh girlie said:
Yeah I know...but we saw it this weekend...there were a ton of cars driving through the court just to see the grinch! HAHAHHAA!

Oh and the bastard who bitched about it...this Le Nguyen...there is a for sale sign on his house.

I hope no one burns it. It would bring more in insurance. I hate people that bitch about that stuff.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DRB said:
Counting the seconds before this gets moderated.....
Generally things like that don't get moderated until either:

1) all the 13 year old asshats get boners and turn the thread into a "ooh the hot girl said a dirty word" yawner, or

2) the rest of the asshats start whining about how the moderators are all assholes, even before anything gets edited or deleted.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Generally things like that don't get moderated until either:

1) all the 13 year old asshats get boners and turn the thread into a "ooh the hot girl said a dirty word" yawner, or

2) the rest of the asshats start whining about how the moderators are all assholes, even before anything gets edited or deleted.
As resident asshat, I figure it's directed at me, meh, nevermind....I know it's not. Funny joke, but I am sure it's a matter of time before no. 1 kicks in with peeps trying to be funny.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So basically this Nguyen jackwad spends two years complaining to the city council just to screw over his neighbor, then sells his house and moves. Nice.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Echo said:
So basically this Nguyen jackwad spends two years complaining to the city council just to screw over his neighbor, then sells his house and moves. Nice.
i'm going to side with the grinch here. the christmas display by the generous neighbor seems over the top, and if it was creating a traffic jam and late night traffic those are legitimate complaints.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Echo said:

yeah...that sounds about right...This guy (the guy with all the decorations) has been doing this for years and it's always in the paper and on the news. It was really something to see. I can see the neighbors getting pissed, but still...it's Christmas time, and if the guy is making people happy and donating so much, then I think I would just deal with it. Maybe ask the guy to compromise and maybe turn on the display during certain hours. There was still a steady stream of cars going to see the grinch...and that's all it is...a grinch standing on a stack of packages. But it's funny as hell that the grinches arm raises and points at the neighbors house!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Toshi said:
i'm going to side with the grinch here. the christmas display by the generous neighbor seems over the top, and if it was creating a traffic jam and late night traffic those are legitimate complaints.
Coming from you, and considering your views from the political forum, don't you think that sets a dangerous precedent? At what point does someone's Christmas display become a public nuisance? What stops the city government from using this new ordinance for other agendas, or what stops them from using it to discriminate against people who celebrate Christmas?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Echo said:
Coming from you, and considering your views from the political forum, don't you think that sets a dangerous precedent? At what point does someone's Christmas display become a public nuisance? What stops the city government from using this new ordinance for other agendas, or what stops them from using it to discriminate against people who celebrate Christmas?
If you say 30 days between Christmas and Thanksgiving for 100000 people visiting, that works out to over 800 cars a day (4 per car) into a cul de sac. I say that is a pretty easy definition of a nuisance without too much of a reach.

What stops them from discriminating against folks celebrating Christmas? The first amendment does that.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Echo said:
i'm a libertarian, not an anarchist. the point at which a christmas display becomes a public nuisance doesn't seem like such a tough issue: if it creates consistent traffic and noise problems in a residential community it is a nuisance. common sense goes a long way, and you can harp about "what is consistent?" but you'd be just whining without reason. :D

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
dh girlie said:
Must be all that rain up there that makes you such a grinch! :D
you saw the green mountain ride thread, no? note the lack of rain and presence of blue skies and lush forest... of course, at that point in the ride i was pretty grinchy myself, having just pushed up a long climb after bonking, but that's besides the point :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Toshi said:
i'm a libertarian, not an anarchist. the point at which a christmas display becomes a public nuisance doesn't seem like such a tough issue: if it creates consistent traffic and noise problems in a residential community it is a nuisance. common sense goes a long way, and you can harp about "what is consistent?" but you'd be just whining without reason. :D
So you think that the government imposing a law specifically to stop one person from doing something that they don't like is cool?

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Toshi said:
you saw the green mountain ride thread, no? note the lack of rain and presence of blue skies and lush forest... of course, at that point in the ride i was pretty grinchy myself, having just pushed up a long climb after bonking, but that's besides the point :D

No didn't see that thread...I was referring more to the times I've visited Seattle in the summer only to be rained upon, all the grunge music that came out of the area, and all the moody people. hahaha...jk...I love Seattle...

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Echo said:
So you think that the government imposing a law specifically to stop one person from doing something that they don't like is cool?
if it was written that Alan and Bonnie Aerts couldn't put up a display without a permit then i'd have an issue. if it's written that no one can put up such a display in a residential area if it draws over a certain level of traffic to the area, then no, i don't have an issue with it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
dh girlie said:
Man...all I wanted to do was point out the fact that it was funny as hell that the grinch points to the neighbor who was most bothered by it. And y'all gotta get in a 'debate' over it.
Are you complaining about your thread getting derailed? :D

Toshi, they might as well have put the Aerts' names on the ordinance, and you know it... ;)

J

JRB

Echo said:
Are you complaining about your thread getting derailed? :D
No kidding. Julie made pancakes Saturday morning and I painted the lowers on an 01 Manitou Mars gunmetal grey.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
loco said:
No kidding. Julie made pancakes Saturday morning and I painted the lowers on an 01 Manitou Mars gunmetal grey.

I baked some cookies...like REAL cookies...no mix or anything like that...from scratch...the kind that you have to roll out and use a cookie cutter, and then decorate...took me forever but they turned out good. I even took a picture of some cuz I have a Paul Frank monkey head cookie cutter and I made some of him. I also have a special one for you...of course I can't send it, but I can post a pic tomorrow. I have this handprint cookie cutter...and well...after a trip to the mall yesterday I was pretty cranky so I cut a hand and reformed the fingers in a special way...

J

JRB

narlus said:
The Damned's _Phantasmagoria_ was their first foray into goth rock; quite a departure from their punk roots.
I went to see Thrashing Doves in St Louis several years ago and they played Phantasmagoria in between sets. That is one of my favorite all time albums. I listen to the tape in a walkman on road rides quite often. Was it "Anything" that followed??? With a bad assed Spanish theme for Alone Again Or. The neighbor should blast Phantasmagoria in the front yard for effect. :thumb: Thanks for making me think of that today. My spirits were lifted.