Quantcast

funny UPS story

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
So the UPS guy showed up at my door yesterday and said "Sign this" then proceeded to pull out a brand new 23" HD Mac display. :drool:

It took every thing in me to say uhhh that's not mine. :(

You see I have a Photography studio at my house, and there is another one 2 streets over with the same address (xxx W. 21 - xxx W. 23)
I take comfort in knowing our UPS cant tell the difference between 21 & 23 or Toole Art & Glass House... :rolleyes:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You should have signed some random name and if they came and asked you where it was, say you have no idea, but you occasionally take in homeless people for the night - maybe one of them signed for it and took it?

:p

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
firetoole said:
So the UPS guy showed up at my door yesterday and said "Sign this" then proceeded to pull out a brand new 23" HD Mac display. :drool:

You see I have a Photography studio at my house, and there is another one 2 streets over with the same address (xxx W. 21 - xxx W. 23)
I take comfort in knowing our UPS cant tell the difference between 21 & 23 or Toole Art & Glass House... :rolleyes:
It's official. You're a duch!

:rolleyes:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
firetoole said:
Sometimes you really need to be the strong, silent type.

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
ups doesn't know the difference between my house and the dmv...they're always sendin my stuff down there...my address is 695 N and theirs is 965 S

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
cannondalejunky said:
ups doesn't know the difference between my house and the dmv...
Is that because of the long lines of pissed-off people at your house?

:think:

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I worked at a UPS Store and from time to time we'd get misdelivered packages (Generally the sender/our [we'd ****ed up the label]'s fault, usually not the drivers). It would be incredibly annoying when someone would take the package that wasn't theirs and hold onto it and then say "i never saw it" even though it was totally and completely worthless or something...don't be an ass, UPS will rape you if you keep a package that's not yours.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
blue said:
I worked at a UPS Store and from time to time we'd get misdelivered packages (Generally the sender/our [we'd ****ed up the label]'s fault, usually not the drivers). It would be incredibly annoying when someone would take the package that wasn't theirs and hold onto it and then say "i never saw it" even though it was totally and completely worthless or something...don't be an ass, UPS will rape you if you keep a package that's not yours.
How can they? They ****ed up, they gave you the damn package. How are you supposed to know what you're recieving? It could be a gift from a long lost Aunt as far as you know.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
blue said:
UPS should do a better job in the first place and deliver the package to the correct address. Hell the labels aren't even hand written, they're printed! It's not rocket science. You read the address on the package and then compare it to the address of the house you are standing in front of. If they don't match you put the package back in your truck. Seems pretty simple to me.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
blue said:
is there a way to tell them so they don't get mixed up?
I've had stuff go over there too before

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
firetoole said:
is there a way to tell them so they don't get mixed up?
I've had stuff go over there too before
i did that and they said they'd put my name down on a lil list to make shure it never happen again...they've now put my name on that list 3 times and they still screw it up

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Let me explain...

Labels are generated by the UPS account holder. If the account holder (IE, the shipper, or a UPS Store/other shipping outlet) ****s up the address on the label (electronically barcoded), it will go to the wrong place unless they put in an address correction request to UPS. This, from my experience, is what happens 80-90% of the time. However, if this happens to you regularly from different shippers, your driver could very well be a moron. UPS is relatively quick to deal with said morons, all you've gotta do is make a few calls. I saw a driver who had been with UPS for 15 something years get wiped off the map in a matter of hours after screwing up a delivery to a doctor's office.

Also, you could try talking with the driver. Explain to him the predicament, and if he's decent he'll figure it out on his own and/or talk to his supervisor at your hub.

In nearly every case where items are misdelivered and lost at UPS' fault they will pay out completely (provided it's insured for over $100). Good luck getting FedEx (or USPS, for that matter...but that's a different story) to pay out jack ****.

J

JRB

Actually, as a shipper, FedEx will pay before UPS will. If it is insured for over $100, UPS will try their damnedest to not pay. I dealt with this on a frame. The UPS Store smuck took the box, and money to insure it, and then UPS said the frame was packaged poorly. Here's a newsflash for all LTL carriers and parcel carriers, if you don't like the cartoning, don't accept it.

*Blue - I would know a lot about the parcel guys before I spouted out how great UPS is, and how crappy FedEx is.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
loco said:
Actually, as a shipper, FedEx will pay before UPS will. If it is insured for over $100, UPS will try their damnedest to not pay. I dealt with this on a frame. The UPS Store smuck took the box, and money to insure it, and then UPS said the frame was packaged poorly. Here's a newsflash for all LTL carriers and parcel carriers, if you don't like the cartoning, don't accept it.

*Blue - I would know a lot about the parcel guys before I spouted out how great UPS is, and how crappy FedEx is.
Really...that's interesting, considering I've dealt with 50+ insurance claims to Fedex, USPS, and UPS.

UPS and FedEx both have "minimum packaging standards" (IE, 2 inches of packaging around the item), but bikes are usually a grey area since with both shipping companies adding 2 inches of packaging will push them up into OS3 limits. Hence, bikes have to be packaged creatively. If they do break (and sometimes they do), both UPS and FedEx were relatively easy to deal with in that regard. All you have to explain to the people at UPS Capital is that it was a bike, and generally they understand. I had a guy ship a bike eBay to Wisconsin, gets there and one of the Rohlhoff hubs had cracked in transit. UPS checked it out, paid out the full $600 to fix it. It was packaged just like any bike from a bike manufacturer.

UPS and Fedex claims processes normally take quite a while to complete, unless the package is valued under 100$, in which case they both may just pay out the damages without sending out a claims inspector. Generally with any UPS claim valued at over 100$, it would take about a month to do the paperwork and get the check, Fedex would take about 2. Don't even ask about USPS claims...

Good work firetoole! :thumb:

Changleen said:
How can they? They ****ed up, they gave you the damn package. How are you supposed to know what you're recieving? It could be a gift from a long lost Aunt as far as you know.
Let's be very clear. Knowingly taking something that is not yours is a crime. It is called larceny. You can be put in jail for it.

That is all.